Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
Chris_GS OP
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Continental TRAIL ATTACK tyres/tires ongoing test

Hi all,

I have decided to do an ongoing report on the new Continental TrailAttack tyres, posting as I go.

Why? I have scoured the web for info on various tyres and it seems that you can't get decent info on this newly-released tyre. So I got a set.

First off, I do mostly road km's, and some off-roading. Our dirt in this area of the woods consists of gravel roads, leading up to gnarly rocky roads. there is some sand but it's usually a puddle of mud that's avoidable. mostly.

This tyre is designed by the factory to be "a mostly on-road tyre with all the latest technology, for the rider that sometimes goes off-road". eg what I would say is 90% of GS usage.

I intend to use it as designed, so if I have a gnarly off-road trip that I know about coming up, on will go TKC's- either a set or just a front to give me some dirt grip. or maybe not!

so saying that, here's some facts:

Bike:
R1150GS 2002 model (80,000km)
Suspension:
WP
weight of rider:
approx 100kg WITH gear.
Ride ability:
I'm what I would consider a quick, but not outright fast road rider. Offroad I'm Mr Joe Average.
Pressures:
I'll run the stock pressures, experiment either way with dirt and road usage. I'll post this as I go.

Here's a pic of the tyres. Some initial notes. The Continental tyres are made in a few places around the world, and quite often (as is the case here) the front is made in one country (Korea), the rear is made in another (Germany). go figure. I would be interested in posts from other users on the sidewall markings- where their tyres came from?

Tread depth is 5mm at the front, and 9mm at the rear. Very similar to a new Tourance. the grooves are thinner at the edges of the rear, giving the impression of less groove and therefore less 'dirtability'. The front has similar groove numbers and widths as the Tourance, so I can only assume that the front will behave as a Tourance would. I will use the Tourance as a comparison as A: most people have ridden on Tourance as it is an OEM fitment and B: I have good experience with the same.
Attached Images

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
Chris_GS OP
I like a big pair...

Oh, I forgot to add, they are V-rated, and are similarly priced (here in OZ) as the Michelin Anakee's and the Metzeler Tourance (referring to the V-rated tyres, you can get H-rated versions of both) You'll get a set for $420 retail, plus fitting yabbida yabbida. While I was giving the importer a hard time I found out that the TKC 80's are now a similar price to this. The buggers used to be a lot dearer.

Sig hier: http://www.conti-online.com/ and search for 'trailattack'. you'll need to translate it... They are that new!!!

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Old 10-29-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
Chris_GS OP
I like a big pair...

tiTrailAttack
ContiTrailAttack

> Technische Details
> Aktuelle Reifenfreigaben zum Download

Neuer Straßenenduro-Reifen speziell entwickelt für die großen und leistungsstarken Reiseenduros
- Continuous Compound-Technologie: Ermöglicht eine homogene Gripabstufung mit nur einer Mischung durch eine temperaturgesteuerte Heizung der Reifen in der Produktion
  • Schulterbereich flexibel = Grip
  • Zenithbereich abriebfest = Laufleistung
  • Übergang stufenlos
- 0°-Stahlgürtelkonstruktion am Hinterrad für hohe Stabilität und Komfort auch bei hohem Reisetempo und mit hoher Zuladung
- Verstärkte Karkasse in Verbindung mit einem fortschrittlichen Profildesign am Vorderrad sorgt für eine erhöhte Präzision und ein optimiertes Abriebsbild
- Sehr gute Haftung auch bei Nässe kombiniert mit einer exzellenten Laufleistung auf langen Touren durch eine innovative Mischungstechnologie

ReifengrößeProfil
110/80 R 19 M/C 59V TLContiTrailAttack
150/70 R 17 M/C 69V TLContiTrailAttack

Translates to:

New Straßenenduro tire particularly develops for the large and high performance Reiseenduros
- Continuous Compound technology: Makes possible a homogeneous Gripabstufung with only a mixture by a temperature-steered heating of the tires in production
Shoulder range flexibly = Grip
Zenithbereich resistant to friction = run achievement
Transition steplessly
- 0°-Stahlgürtelkonstruktion at the rear wheel for high stability and comfort also with high travel speed and with high additional load
- Strengthened carcass in connection with a progressive profile Design at the front wheel provides for increased precision and an optimized abrasion picture
- Very good adhesion also on wet roads combined with an excellent run achievement on long routes by an innovative mixture technology

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,310
9mm tread depth on the rear is awesome!

FWIW: SPORT tires like Diablo's run a 4mm starting treat depth.

ST tires like a Metzler Z6 run a 6mm starting depth.

The Adventure Touring tires seem to be around 9mm.

So just based on tread depth and profiles, this should be one long lasting and smooth running tire! Please keep us posted!

PS: if this thing ends up being "nothing more" than an RA with 50% more depth...well, I'm sold!

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.

BMW-K screwed with this post 10-29-2007 at 11:26 AM
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
CASTIRON
Solid, heavy, lo-tech.

Oddometer: 661
Thumb

Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Chris_GS OP
I like a big pair...

more idle thoughts: The front tyre has a flatter profile than the taller Tourance, which pleases me as I prefer the turn-in of the Anakee, which is a flatter (more symmetrical curve) tyre. the rear seems taller and rounder than a Tourance, more like a road tyre. They should ride rather interestingly.

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Old 10-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
gear_head
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Have 'em on my DL650

I was one of the first to get them a couple of months ago in the States. I bought them based on a very small pic which is all they had at the time. I knew reviews for the RA's on my Wee Strom were mostly tremendous and I wanted to give these a whirl. They were more road-oriented than I thought when I first saw them in person, but I guess I don't really care because I ride in similar terrain to you- mostly road. It's funny someone in this post said something similar to what I was thinking at the time, maybe just a beefed-up RA. I will say this- the first time I got them in the twisties grip was incredible! So, so confidence inspiring. No serious rain riding yet (lucky I guess, plus drought conditions in the SE). Quiter than my D607's (still my favorite, but I have so few miles on the TA's to say for sure). I've owned stock trailwings, 020's, D607's, and now these. My front and rear are made in the same places yours are.
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
skidlid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Great tires! Stick like glue and are great in the rain. I have them on my 1200ADV, and they'll do anything that the Tourance or Anakee will do. Of course if you want to get in the mud, go with the TKC's.
skidlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_GS
The Continental tyres are made in a few places around the world, and quite often (as is the case here) the front is made in one country (Korea), the rear is made in another (Germany). go figure. I would be interested in posts from other users on the sidewall markings- where their tyres came from?

Since it was asked at the beginning of the thread, I just checked my ContiTrail Attacks which were OEM on my '08 GS. Just as with Chris's tires, my front was also from Korea, and the rear from Germany.

Oh, and I love 'em!

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb

thats all good news guys...thx!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
That's crazy. These tires are way too expensive to be failing like that. I've never tried them, and between the front wobbles and now this, I likely won't be. Too bad, I've had good luck with the road attacks.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
lotoofla
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Laugh Getting some traction on a bmw r1200rt

While you may wonder why a guy who rides a BMW R1200RT touring bike is responding about the Conti Trail Attack, it's because I've been were the road ends, and the dirt begains. I can assure you that this is not by design, but how the various State, and County highway depts run. On my maiden trip in spring 2011 to cross the norther part of the USA on US High Way 2, I ran out of pavement in Montana for 20 miles (about 30 Km), mud, pot holes, and ruts were the norn, and it was slow going. I was using dunlops D616 tires http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...ce/sport/d616/ they did a good job but the rear wore out at 6,000 (10,000Km) I tried Pirreli's Scorpion Trail, but did a little better milage wise. Now I'm testing the Conti Trail Attack. I have over 2,000 (3,000Km)miles on them, and wearing very well. The embossed lettering on the tread for the rear tire is half way worn off, and the front tires lettering is still completely there. Continental makes the KTC's in my size 120/70x17 F 180/55x17 R but that's gross over kill for a touring bike. I like the extream lean angles, braking, and running in the rain, I can't report on accleration, as the Beemer has Traction Contol (no wheelies). Running in dry dirt the tires are very good, but I don't have any mud experience with them. You said that your front tire was made in Korea, and the rear in Germany, it got me curious about were mine can from, and both came from Germany. The tire pressures I'm running are 32 PSI front, and 30 PSI in the rear (sorry no metric equivalent) 30 PSI is 6 pounds under factory recomended pressures, but this has shown me to be near ideal, and I suspect that 31 PSI to be perfect, but mileage will tell.
lotoofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
bacougle
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Cointi Trail Attack are Crap!

Well, well, well.

Just finished riding from Canada to Argentina May 2012. Rode most of the trip on Metzeler Tourance (the best tire on the market for Vstroms!) and the last 8000km on a brand new f*$^ed Conti that I bought in Ecuador at a recommended shop (Went to City Moto for a new front tire. Got a Continential Trail Attack and a shitty vibration problem at the same time, weird? Willy did not fix my problem or take the likely defective tire back so I kept my Tourance with me too)

After 1000 km on the Conti hoping I could wear off what ever defect was on the tire (couldn't) I switched back to my old tourance and carried the Conti for another 6000 km before I changed it out. Damn extra weight. But we all know it's tough to just chuck a new tire especially when you don't know if you will find another tire to fit in Peru (definitely can find on in Lima) or Bolivia (not likely). Nice surprise to get another 6000 km out of the Tourance (about 22,000km total).

Of course I was so mad that I contacted Conti to which they replied lovingly that they would help and asked me a series of questions. I responded dilgiently and their emails stopped dead. I sent 2 or 3 more emails and received one saying they don't supply Conti in Argentina (funny I wasn't even in Argentina at the time, bastards).

So now I'm a Conti hater and encourage all of you to get on board as a company that doesn't support their product is not a company I want to support.

See my gear page to check out the vibration problem video at 50km/h (Worth a watch!!!). I also replaced bearings and had the wheel balanced 4 times to try to fix the problem. More cost to me, thanks Conti.

http://thelifeofbrad.blogspot.com.ar...ith-me-to.html

I am now back on a Tourance and loving it. I have no problems at all!!! I never would have cheated on Metz if I could have found one in Quito.

cheers,
Brad - Conti hater
www.thelifeofbrad.blogspot.com
bacougle is offline   Reply With Quote