User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Elefant Technical Thread

I wanted to start a new thread where we can all discuss/express our concerns about Elefant technical issues and modifications. The Elefant Sightings thread should be used for our trips and photos for bragging rights about where we have taken these Beasts. Good Luck everyone!! Talk to ya soon
motomikedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just put on some new timing belts, aftermarket Bucci belts. Has anyone tried these?? Any input on the MBP collets??? Hello, anyone out there??
Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomikedh
I just put on some new timing belts, aftermarket Bucci belts. Has anyone tried these?? Any input on the MBP collets??? Hello, anyone out there??
I just ordered the Bucci , should be arriving soon. No real experience but I heard good thing about them.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
I almost bought one. The 'technical' bit put me off, ie. I was too afraid it would keep breaking down.
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The belts aren't too hard, the timing marks on the pulleys and the engine case line right up, the bitch part is getting the old belts off (big nubs to get over the pulley edge). The new bucci belts have a different tooth profile and go on just a hair easier, but not much. Good luck.

Christian, how's the fork mod going?? We should post pics when we both get finished.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Peg Wideners

http://www.worksconnection.com/store...tml?prod_id=26

This is the page for the peg wideners I bought and TIG welded on my pegs last year, make sure you buy the right size. I posted a pic on the elefant sightings thread. Just thought everyone might like to know. Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,651
Quote:
Christian, how's the fork mod going?? We should post pics when we both get finished.
Well , I stopped it for now, basically with all the stuff I had, I would spend an other $3/$400 (spring, valving) and right now I can't , so I sold my stuff on here, and with the money I bought all the maintenance parts I needed (belts, light kit, etc...) The goodie I got out of this is a Vector Trail Tech computer which I will install and I will post installation pictures.

Christian
Old 09-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
The belts aren't too hard, the timing marks on the pulleys and the engine case line right up, the bitch part is getting the old belts off (big nubs to get over the pulley edge).
I found this too, but was since told that you can remove the flanges from the cam (driven) pulleys easily enough, which will make belt changes much easier.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,579
motomikedh:

Great thread - why'd it take so long?

I'll be getting my '94 e900 back from Munroe Motors next week. Had to have new pistons, reline the cylinders - nicasil and new valve stems. The bike has only 30K on it. When I get it back, I'll put on the HB crash bars I bought from EAB Lab.

Soon I will need to upgrade the ignition electrics.

I'm sure I'll have tech questions - and I'm glad this thread is here for a resource.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,049
I may be having my first major problem with my Fant. I had the flu which knocked me out and I haven't ridden. Lat week I went to start it and it wouldn't start. Today I decided to look into it and it has spark and fuel but won't start. I took the tank off and airbox cover and tried to start it and I noticed the rear cylinder was not really creating much vacuum. I used some starter fluid and it fired and then blew raw gas and flames out of the carb. I was able to blow the fire out but something is probably amiss with the timing. I am guessing maybe my belt jumped. It was getting dark and I have no energy so I will look at it again one day this week.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
Speeddog830
Interloper

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I may be having my first major problem with my Fant. I had the flu which knocked me out and I haven't ridden. Lat week I went to start it and it wouldn't start. Today I decided to look into it and it has spark and fuel but won't start. I took the tank off and airbox cover and tried to start it and I noticed the rear cylinder was not really creating much vacuum. I used some starter fluid and it fired and then blew raw gas and flames out of the carb. I was able to blow the fire out but something is probably amiss with the timing. I am guessing maybe my belt jumped. It was getting dark and I have no energy so I will look at it again one day this week.
Pull the belt covers off, and rotate the engine so that the dot on the drive pulley lines up with the hashmark on the sidecover.
Then check each cam pulley to see that the dots line up with the marks on the belt housings.

When were the belts last replaced?

'02 Ducati Monster S4 - Too many mods to list...

'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - TKC 80's, Euro blinkers, 16t front sprocket, ProTaper CR High bars
Speeddog830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,136
Hyper pro rear shock

Hey everyone,

I put in my new Hyper Pro shock this last weekend and thought I would share with you guys my experience. I Ordered a shock from EPM. I thought I was ordering a wilbers but got the HP instead. I had it made an inch longer to match the height of my front forks. I did not specify which end to make longer. I assumed they would lengthen the bottom end like I did to the stock unit. Turns out they made it longer at the top. When I first recieved the shock I thought, oh shit, this is gonna be expensive to change. Once I calmed down I went out to the shop and did some measuring and figured out it would probably fit. So months later I started the project and here goes:

I pulled the battery first and then the subframe. I then stuffed the shock in. If the bike was stock I wouldn't have had to do much more after this. Anyway nothing I do is easy, here is a pic.

Because the shock is longer I had to clearance a few things. (Also as you can see in the picture I had to back off the preload nut and compress the shock to get it in the bike). Once in, the shock had a few things that needed to be filed a bit. Nothing like grinding on your new $900.00 shock. If grinding on my new shock wasn't enough, the cagiva wishbone link was still hitting the shock. So I had to grind the wishbone a little all the while wondering where I would find another one if I screwed this one up.

(I also need to point out that there are needle bearings in the wishbone. One needs to be very careful to avoid knocking them out on to the floor).
After all the grinding and filing I ended up with about a 1/16" clearance. This was important because a friend of mine bent his shock because these parts were hitting. I greased all the needle bearings and tightened all the bolts. The remote resevoir I ended up attaching to the right of the shock on the frame.

I will probably drill some holes in the side plastic so I can adjust the compression without taking the side panel off.

I take the bike out and ride a little and I think I need a stiffer spring. The preload nut is about a 1\2" from the last of the threads and I still get about 3" of sag. I was hoping to be able to crank it down for when I had luggage and stuff on. I put a call into the shock guy today but I called too late and left him a message to call me back. I will let you know how it turns out. My overall impression of the shock is, it's ok. I think these guys are more street oriented and I ride mostly offroad. I think with some tweeking I can get it where I like it.

Here are some pics of my front fork setup if anyone is interested.

My bash plate and shifter

After reading through this it really didn't seem too hard. If anyone else is going the same route as I did I would have them offset drill the bottom hole on the shock mount so one wouldn't have to do much grinding.

-John
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #13
flyben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva

Here are some pics of my front fork setup if anyone is interested.

what fork is it ??

--
flyben
flyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,136
My forks are 50mm showas. I used two left legs so I could keep my twin rotor setup.

-John
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,579
I've got an email into Michael. Figured you FF's were always around.

Here's the rear L-bracket in place. Notice the 30+ degrees angle at the top of the bracket as it hits the frame:

Front alignment:

Here's the L-bracket where it needs to be for the front to be in place - but the bracket can't fit behind at that angle:

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote