User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
TimberlineAdventure OP
Maine Thumpah

Oddometer: 380
Yamaha XT500

Anyone here have a XT500? My buddy and I have a few MINT MINT MINT xt500's and are about to switch over to a HUSKY 610TE. Still keeping the XT's, but am wondering if anyone else here has one
TimberlineAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
thumperbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I do

Love those old Thumpers. Have had a bunch of them with no real problems yet. Got my fist TT back around the mid 80s and have been hooked ever since. Almost always have several in the stable. Great bikes but they dont compare to the newer dual sports but are still quite capeable bikes when ridden within their limits.

Currently building a street legal flat track style bike using bits of a TT500 XT500 and SR500. Here is a pic of my XT and the project bike.

Congrats, nice ones are harder to find every year. Lets see a pic of yours.

thumperbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
sonic reducer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
the XT and TT aluminum tanks are bar none my favorite factory tank ever.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineAdventure
Anyone here have a XT500? My buddy and I have a few MINT MINT MINT xt500's and are about to switch over to a HUSKY 610TE. Still keeping the XT's, but am wondering if anyone else here has one
Had three '78's, two XT's and a SR. LOVE that engine! Would love to get another XT 500..

EDIT: Here's my old SR:

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 03-29-2008 at 03:37 PM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Sycamore
d00b

Oddometer: 1,692
I also had 2 XT's and an SR, which I modified a bit. Same engine, basically.
The XT was was a great bike, IMO it was a kind of a legend. First Japanese big single, Yamaha took a chance and opened up a whole new market. Stone reliable.

Here's one of my XT's in South Africa at the start of an 800 mile road trip on Christmas day 1980 (girlfriend left me, and I was so pissed I left town for good - true story) and some pics of my modified SR which I still own.

and here's a TT500 (offroad cousin of the XT) I saw yesterday...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326172

and here's the XT again after the first few hundred miles - crazy high handlebars (what the hell was I thinking), army sleeping bag as backrest, seat cut down to an inch or 2 which was also pretty stupid in hindsight.

Sycamore screwed with this post 03-29-2008 at 05:02 PM
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Xt500 1977

I picked this one up last fall with 7700km original nice shape..........super low price, had to buy it.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,978
The old fashioned mechanical ignition points didn't have the moisture resistance that new solid state ignitions have. After four days on the ferry back from Alaska, the bike spent the night outside in the foothills of the Cascades, and the next morning I kicked for a long time without gettting a pop. Finally pulled the ignition cover and gave everything a shot of WD-40 and then it started right up.

We take a lot for granted today. The XT valves were very easy to adjust, but they loosened with miles and made a racket to let you know it was time to snug them down a little. Oil changes were a bit of a process with the oil in the frame and various filters. It really preferred premium gas. The starting process was pretty intricate until you learned where the piston was by feel and didn't need to stand on your head to look at the little window in the cam cover any more. No counterbalancer, so you knew what a big single felt like -- more shake than buzz.

I never again owned a bike that was as easy to ride long wheelies as my XT500. I'd own one again just for that.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
Sycamore
d00b

Oddometer: 1,692
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
TimberlineAdventure OP
Maine Thumpah

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
The old fashioned mechanical ignition points didn't have the moisture resistance that new solid state ignitions have. After four days on the ferry back from Alaska, the bike spent the night outside in the foothills of the Cascades, and the next morning I kicked for a long time without gettting a pop. Finally pulled the ignition cover and gave everything a shot of WD-40 and then it started right up.

We take a lot for granted today. The XT valves were very easy to adjust, but they loosened with miles and made a racket to let you know it was time to snug them down a little. Oil changes were a bit of a process with the oil in the frame and various filters. It really preferred premium gas. The starting process was pretty intricate until you learned where the piston was by feel and didn't need to stand on your head to look at the little window in the cam cover any more. No counterbalancer, so you knew what a big single felt like -- more shake than buzz.

I never again owned a bike that was as easy to ride long wheelies as my XT500. I'd own one again just for that.
I must be inept at pulling wheelies, even with you are saying is the best Wheelie machine around... What is your method, I have ridden for twenty years, have a modified bike, but certainly suck at the wheelies...
TimberlineAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
XT-500 air filter

The filter media is disentigrading on my filter.I hate to spend $32 for a new assembly.I 'll buy a new filter if neccessary but the rest of the unit looks OK .
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
haydenslides
K.Flotto

Oddometer: 94
Cool2 points/condenser part #'s

thought i'd post these part number, as i just got a new set... for z 1977 XT500D
yamaha part #'s:
condenser: 583-81625-50
might be interesting if anybody had a yamaha parts cross reference disc to see what other bikes run this setup...
'02 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa
'74 Honda CT70 - the original adv bike
port angeles, washington, usa
haydenslides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenslides
thought i'd post these part number, as i just got a new set... for z 1977 XT500D
yamaha part #'s:
condenser: 583-81625-50
might be interesting if anybody had a yamaha parts cross reference disc to see what other bikes run this setup...
Just as an FYI the points are also Honda 107's. Used on small bore singles as I recall. Many years ago they were cheaper than the Yamaha set.

The 583 in the Yamaha part number says they were first used on the TT/XT bikes so I'd say very few others would use them as Yamaha quit using points in '79.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
haydenslides
K.Flotto

Oddometer: 94
Wicked

I'm trying to come up with some cross reference info for XT/TT/SR 500's. The XT's had steel swingarms, did the TT's have aluminum? Will SR 500 wheels fit on an XT? Can you run a TT front wheel on a XT and still retain speedometer function? Are XT/TT seats interchangeable? Do XT's/TT's use different carb's? Am i correct in assuming that that the TT didn't have a lighting coil?

I'd like to possibly run a SR front rim on my XT for more street riding with my pop. Also, i'm trying to locate a replacement seat, and am wondering if a TT seat would work.

This bike is a kick in the ass. Rode 700 miles in 4 days last week and the bike ran perfect. started first kick every time. It barrelled up the north cascades highway passes and then tackled 2 foot deep snow covered logging road passes. i'm in love!
'02 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa
'74 Honda CT70 - the original adv bike
port angeles, washington, usa
haydenslides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenslides
I'm trying to come up with some cross reference info for XT/TT/SR 500's. The XT's had steel swingarms, did the TT's have aluminum?

no, steel

Will SR 500 wheels fit on an XT?

the front has disc brake

Can you run a TT front wheel on a XT and still retain speedometer function?

no.

Are XT/TT seats interchangeable?

yes.

Do XT's/TT's use different carb's

yes

Am i correct in assuming that that the TT didn't have a lighting coil?

dont know

I'd like to possibly run a SR front rim on my XT for more street riding with my pop. Also, i'm trying to locate a replacement seat, and am wondering if a TT seat would work.

tt seat will fit, but it sucks like the xt

This bike is a kick in the ass. Rode 700 miles in 4 days last week and the bike ran perfect. started first kick every time. It barrelled up the north cascades highway passes and then tackled 2 foot deep snow covered logging road passes. i'm in love!
good luck
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
fatherof4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
1977 XT500 project

I just picked up a 1977 XT500 with 7300 miles for $200. It had been sitting for 8 yrs.

Cleaned the carb and put a tube in the back tire and it fired right up. I took it out last weekend for a short in-town ride and seems to run alright and it didn't smoke. The tires are to dry rotted to risk any distance or speed.

I should have new tires for it in a couple days.

What I am looking for is any suggestion on gearing this bike. I have to buy chain and sprockets so I only want to buy one set.

This wil be my primary form of transportation to work so it will see some highway riding. Mostly it will be rode to work and some forest service roads.

I have had bikes from a z50 to a kz1100 but this is my first XT.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Images

fatherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote