User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #1
Triwi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Flexing my ABS

Does anyone else share my irritation with the switchable ABS? Changing from seal to dirt I prefer to switch off the ABS -
  • If I wish to stabilise the bike when entering, say, thick gravel a dab of the rear brake produces nothing, as the ABS lets go, at exactly the point I most need it.
  • Say I enter a steep blind downhill hairpin having forgotten to de activate, there is again only freewheeling available at precisely the moment the way is blocked with an uphill SUV.
  • So, I stop engine to regroup, ABS defaults on, start up again, 4 sec delay to switch off then catch up to my mates who have also stopped because they thought I had a problem . So I turn off to explain the prob then wait 4 seconds as they take off. So they slow down........... You get the picture
  • Trying to switch off when fully laden with bike not level, holding the awkward switch while reaching over the tankbag for 4 seconds, at the same time stopping bike moving without touching the brakes, can be quite interestng, especially if your pillion moves just at that moment.
Which brings me to my point. Has anybody any advice as to how the ABS system could be modified so that a simple one push button on the bars would deactivate the system, on the fly. I dont mind the default to on when motor starts but it would be nice to switch off without the stop and wait routine each time.
Thoughts?
cheers
Triwi
Triwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:24 AM   #2
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triwi
Does anyone else share my irritation with the switchable ABS? Changing from seal to dirt I prefer to switch off the ABS -
  • If I wish to stabilise the bike when entering, say, thick gravel a dab of the rear brake produces nothing, as the ABS lets go, at exactly the point I most need it.
  • Say I enter a steep blind downhill hairpin having forgotten to de activate, there is again only freewheeling available at precisely the moment the way is blocked with an uphill SUV.
  • So, I stop engine to regroup, ABS defaults on, start up again, 4 sec delay to switch off then catch up to my mates who have also stopped because they thought I had a problem . So I turn off to explain the prob then wait 4 seconds as they take off. So they slow down........... You get the picture
  • Trying to switch off when fully laden with bike not level, holding the awkward switch while reaching over the tankbag for 4 seconds, at the same time stopping bike moving without touching the brakes, can be quite interestng, especially if your pillion moves just at that moment.
Which brings me to my point. Has anybody any advice as to how the ABS system could be modified so that a simple one push button on the bars would deactivate the system, on the fly. I dont mind the default to on when motor starts but it would be nice to switch off without the stop and wait routine each time.
Thoughts?
cheers
Triwi
PIA he...

Should try what it gives when you pull the fuse... if no other issues (FI warning, brake issues, ...) you could install a switch on the wire I think...
Roeligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
rgmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I got tired of all that ABS button crap pretty quick.

I wired a ON/OFF rocker switch into the rear brake ABS sensor circuit. When switched off this basically causes the ABS to fault and turn off.

Now when off road I flip the switch to the OFF position the ABS stays off until I want it on again. No need to touch the factory ABS switch.

All it cost me was:

1) On/Off rocker switch
2) 2 male / 4 female wire connectors
3) about 8 feet/2.5 meters 16 ga. wire
4) 1 hour of my time

I had all this stuff lying around so it was free for me, might cost $10-$15 if you had to buy it.

The first step is to follow the glossy black wire from the rear ABS sensor pickup, you will find it ends under the seat above the rear shock.

I stripped about 40-50mm of the insulating cover off the wire leading into the female side of the connector. I cut one (doesn't matter which one ) of the wires and added wire connectors and then ran two wires along the frame rails to my switch on the dash.

When the switch is flipped OFF the signal from the rear ABS sensor is interrupted causing the system to detect a fault and turn off.

Here is a picture of the factory connector under the seat and my "splice" into it. The black stuff you see on my connectors is "liquid tape" for some additional water proofing. ( sorry, the pic could be be better, but you get the idea )

Here is a pic of the dash switch. I got this switch from Radio Shack for $3.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

To turn the ABS back on just flip the switch back to ON and restart the bike.

You could also tap into the front ABS sensor and accomplish the same thing ( speedo/odo won't work though ).

rgmax screwed with this post 06-27-2008 at 01:34 PM
rgmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!

Oddometer: 503
Roeligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Old 06-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Does your speedotill work when the switch is off. I usually pull the fus when I 'm going tobe offroad a lot but ten the speedo no worky worky. Hopefully the reae doesn't effect the speedo???
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:32 AM   #7
mysterio
Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmax
I got tired of all that ABS button crap pretty quick.

I wired a ON/OFF rocker switch into the rear brake ABS sensor circuit. When switched off this basically causes the ABS to fault and turn off.

Now when off road I flip the switch to the OFF position the ABS stays off until I want it on again. No need to touch the factory ABS switch.

All it cost me was:

1) On/Off rocker switch
2) 2 male / 4 female wire connectors
3) about 8 feet/2.5 meters 16 ga. wire
4) 1 hour of my time

I had all this stuff lying around so it was free for me, might cost $10-$15 if you had to buy it.

The first step is to follow the glossy black wire from the rear ABS sensor pickup, you will find it ends under the seat above the rear shock.

I stripped about 40-50mm of the insulating cover off the wire leading into the female side of the connector. I cut one (doesn't matter which one ) of the wires and added wire connectors and then ran two wires along the frame rails to my switch on the dash.

When the switch is flipped OFF the signal from the rear ABS sensor is interrupted causing the system to detect a fault and turn off.

Here is a picture of the factory connector under the seat and my "splice" into it. The black stuff you see on my connectors is "liquid tape" for some additional water proofing. ( sorry, the pic could be be better, but you get the idea )

Here is a pic of the dash switch. I got this switch from Radio Shack for $3.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

You could also tap into the front ABS sensor and accomplish the same thing ( speedo/odo won't work though ).
Brilliant! I'll be into this on the weekend, including the handlebar switch.
mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
So I have a question for rgmax or anyone else that's done this:

When the rocker switch is "off" does the factory ABS light still blink as an error? It'd be nice if it does, I'd like having it there reminding me to flip the switch "on" when I get back to pavement.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Helmet Head
Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer: 455
Restart or hit starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmax
Do you need to actually turn the bike off and restart, or can you hit the starter? On my old BMW Dakar, all you needed to do was hit the starter switch for a sec (with the bike in neutral or the clutch pulled in) and the ABS would kick back on. Something about reinitializing, start-up sequence, blah blah (Vehicle computers are not my mechanical forte...).
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,613
I was sitting on a 990 ADV at the Int'l Motorcycle show in Long Beach while the KTM rep was talking to the guy sitting on the 990 ADV next to me....the customer asked about the ABS in the dirt and the KTM rep said to just leave it on all the time....

I never even made eye contact with the rep...I just turned to the customer and said..."This guy is going to get you killed"......then I got up and went over to another booth....sheesh....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Talking Works a treat

Tested my 'flasher button' activated version on the weekend.
I should have done this 12 months ago - perfect!

As I left the bitumen and hit the dirt at around 70km/h, I simply flicked the button (no taking hands off bars - or worse stopping), and the ABS light illuminates.

Later on restart its reset (how I want it). If I ever do forget to cancel when off road it's only going to take 1/2 second to cancel again.

Very happy
Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triwi
Thoughts?
cheers
Triwi

Depends on what type of oil you are using !

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
have recently given thought to updating my 950 to the 990. The lack of "traction control" option on the 990 has forced me to seriously consider another bike.

During throttle application while exiting a turn on gravel surfaces, the rear of the 950 has a tendency to spin uncontrollably and not track in a straight line ! This seems very unsafe and potentially dangerous for an average rider. Given the modern electronics on a 990, it seems KTM could have easily made this option available ! I have two questions for the Orange Crush techno gurus.

1) Do you think traction control would benefit the rider ?

2) Is it possible to design and install "traction control" on a 990 ?
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
have recently given thought to updating my 950 to the 990. The lack of "traction control" option on the 990 has forced me to seriously consider another bike.

During throttle application while exiting a turn on gravel surfaces, the rear of the 950 has a tendency to spin uncontrollably and not track in a straight line ! This seems very unsafe and potentially dangerous for an average rider. Given the modern electronics on a 990, it seems KTM could have easily made this option available ! I have two questions for the Orange Crush techno gurus.

I would suggest that you look into 1200GS from BMW if you want to have the traction control. I personally believe that the traction control would make gravel riding less fun and hope KTM won't implement it to 990 in the future.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN

NO more electronic gizmos to make up for your lack of skill/common sense. The only reason it tracks uncontrollably is because you are doing it wrong. You are giving it too much gas too suddenly. Let off, and roll on the gas and feel for traction. It's not a switch (on/off), it's more of a reostat. You dial in the amount of power you want/ tires can handle. Your brain is the traction control controling you wrist. Like viatormundi said look into a GS 1200, or a Honda Civic.
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote