User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Josephvman OP
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
BMW R1200C, Why wasn't it replaced?

When BMW made this bike it was a great seller in the U.S., second only to the GS models (at least for the first few years). It was actually quite a nice bike to ride for a cruiser (I'm not a cruiser guy) and the guys who own them seem to really love them. It seems to me that BMW never really made much of an effort to develop the bike as it aged, and it was always a little underpowered IMO. So why do you think BMW basically gave up on the cruiser market? It's the biggest segment in the U.S., and a relatively small company like BMW Motorcycles only needs to steal a small percentage of the overall pie to move a lot of their bikes.

I think an updated cruiser with the hexhead GS motor would make a lot of sense for BMW.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,370
Personally I think almost everyone that saw it said "that's just wrong" in their heads.

The cruiser riders think the whole BMW thing is weird. They don't get the marque, usually.

The non-cruiser non-BMW riders don't get the C because they don't get cruisers, and they also don't get the Boxer engine.

The BMW riders wonder why they'd want a cruiser in the first place.

It really seemed to answer a question very few people asked, I think.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
I like BMW's so don't get me wrong when I say they should stay out of the cruiser market. Cuz the C was butt ugly.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,370
There's that, too. I was trying to be nice for a change.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,936
I think BMW missed their niche with the R1200C. If it had a little less chrome & ape hangers and resembled a standard (like a HD Sportster R) it might have done very well. Plenty of Bonnies and Sportsters sold. I like the Boxer and Monolever in a do it all bike.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,323
They were as big as they could go on displacement. It was the first 1200 twin in BMW's line up. To be competitive in the US market where displacement is a huge selling point they would have had to price the bike much lower or make it have more displacement and horsepower. It would have to sell for the same if not lower than a 1200 Sportster. IIRC it was priced like a Softail. They were smart to pull it when they did.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Cuz the C was butt ugly.
It wasn't that bad!

From what I've read, it was underpowered by BMW riders standards. It was a real headturner at the time.

Hell, even James Bond couldn't help sales!

RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,460
Call it what you want, but it wasn't ugly.

The mondo C was sort of overdone with 4 headlights on the pod, though.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
tsiklonaut
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
They released 1200cc was geting smallish for a "real" cruiser when 1500-2Litre ones came into market.

R1200C was probably the best handling cruiser in the market tho.

Recently some rumors were going on BMW is apparently working on a 2 litre boxer prototype for cruiser, but nothing much more heard about it. BMWs current typical "greenpeace" style of marketing (EfficentDyamics, diesel technologies etc), rising fuel prices and EURO regulation probably will kill this project

But on the other hand by not entering the cruiser market they lose some fair share from their sales (mostly in the US).
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
The mondo C was sort of overdone with 4 headlights on the pod, though.
Sort of overdone? I've seen tarantulas (which the bike was trying to resemble)that were prettier.

Back on topic. The real reason they abandoned the C is because it did not vibrate enough.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
Call it what you want, but it wasn't ugly.
But I want to call it ugly....

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
The cruiser riders think the whole BMW thing is weird. They don't get the marque, usually.
Surprisingly a large number of my customers (Harley) actually do get the whole BMW thing, and do own or have owned many. However, when they look to purchase a BMW they are looking for exactly that - a BMW. They want the things BMW is good at - touring and sport touring comfort and performance. When it comes to a cruiser the Harley is generally considered to be a more attractive and more desirable motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
It really seemed to answer a question very few people asked, I think.
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
When BMW made this bike it was a great seller in the U.S., second only to the GS models (at least for the first few years). It was actually quite a nice bike to ride for a cruiser (I'm not a cruiser guy) and the guys who own them seem to really love them. It seems to me that BMW never really made much of an effort to develop the bike as it aged, and it was always a little underpowered IMO. So why do you think BMW basically gave up on the cruiser market? It's the biggest segment in the U.S., and a relatively small company like BMW Motorcycles only needs to steal a small percentage of the overall pie to move a lot of their bikes.

I think an updated cruiser with the hexhead GS motor would make a lot of sense for BMW.
It would be very interesting to find out what caused that upward blip in sales for this machine. I'm sure the Bond movie had an effect.
The reasons for not building a replacement for this machine, obviously BMW has done research, and realize that it would not sell. Clearly, this is one of the most polarizing bikes ever made visually, a few "get it", but the vast majority "don't get it".
I personally find it one of the ugliest machines ever made by any motorcycle company, almost comical. But there are machines today, right now, that are just as stupid looking, and there are people on this thread who continue buying these silly looking contraptions, so hey, for those hoping for a replacement of this machine, your wishes may come true. People will buy the stupidest looking things, and spend dumb amounts of money, just because of a brand name!
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #14
Roketman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I really see nothing ugly at all about my bike. Nobody twisted my arm to buy it. Its comfortable, enjoyable, has plenty enough power for me, allows me to cruise in style, rather than on a cookie-cutter-looks-like-everyone-else's-type bike, and is a great conversation piece for meeting new friends from all walks of life.

Roketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I like the styling. Not the most beautiful bike ever, but not ugly. It looks like what I would imagine a BMW cruiser would look like.

When I was shopping for my current bike, I was surprised to find BMW didn't make a cruiser any more.
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote