User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
SimpleSimon OP
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
Burgman as a Luxury Touring Rig?

I was cruising my local craigslist for a sport-touring bike to use a few future road trips when I saw a Burgman 650. I then dug a little deeper to discover it has an adjustable windscreen, trunk, abs, sport shift, and storage out the wazoo! To me, it is like a poor mans goldwing if you add a vented tall windcreen and rear box.

Am I nuts to consider doing some lengthy touring on a Burgman vs. buying a used sport touring bike?

Pros vs. Cons (feel free to add)
Pros:
Cost
Reliability
Shaft (gear drive)
Good wind protection
Ability to move legs to keep comfortable
decent mileage
ergonomics
Sufficient power

Cons:
Tons of tupperware
It is a scooter
No Cruise control
???

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I like the Burgman 650. Its massive which I find more disadvantageous than the absence of cuise control, however the mass gives iot the road presence of a motorcycle which would be good when surrounded by angry car drivers. It needs almost no maintenance but it does have acres of plastic, which on the other hand gives good weather protection. I think you'd be crazy not to consider the Burgman for touring.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
MrVvrroomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
My 74 year old father has 2 Burgman 650's. He has an '03 and an '06 Executive.

He has made regular solo rides from Wisconsin to Arizona. The bike is bullet-proof. Change oil and tires.

I've put some miles on his. I'd ride it anywhere.

He's ridden shoulder to shoulder with me on an FJR1300.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
I would

Amigo, the Burgman 650 it's a great motorcycle, I don't have one but I have seen some very good reviews from owners and mags to know that.

The minus you wrote about being a scooter... well it is but it is not. What? well it is because it has some of the basic features of a scooter, BUT it will do over 100 mph! can your average scooter do that? NO, as much as I like the Ruckus, well it only goes up to 35-40 mph.

it is very comfy even for 2 up, as you mention it has a lot of space for your gear.

So ask for a test drive, and ask the people of Burgam USA http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25793 that link is a comparison Burgaman vs Majestry

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,587
This is my second 650 Burgman. It is fine a fine "tourer" for those of us who may have not yet been "spoiled" by the electric nose-picker/butt-wiper conveyances like the "real" GW.

Riding a full-on "touring" Burgman 650 (not the 400 referred to previously) is an an excersise in "balance." There is a bit of "give and take" when it come to "gearing down and cueing up" for "the long ride" that may lay ahead.

The damn half-price Burger weighs in at about 600 pounds, and it comes with the ABS, radial tires, fuel injection, electric windshield, and well - the WHOLE BIT.

Yes, the big 5-figure-money GW has everything 'cept the kitchen sink, but the way more easy/not as much of a PITA to ride Burger comes with (more than anything else), HUGE, built-in weather coverage.
Ripping the big Honda flat six to each yellow-line has GOT to be mighty fun, and Nope, the 650 Burgman has nowhere near the horsepower that the big Honda does - but, say 'cept when you get a hooligan hair across your ass - why would it matter? You can just as well be "splatted" on a Goldwing as you could on a big Burger.

I have put over 35 thousand miles on Burman 650s. They are slightly under-powered for two-up, fully laden duty, but if you only have to do that once a year, and the other three times you'll just be eating up the miles solo - then there is no need for the 5th didgit in the price, nor the bulk when piloting.

Just my .2

pedz
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,847
Add the big Givi trunk and it has more storage than a wing (well, maybe not quite). I'd love one to put in the truck and go camping with the Mrs. Plenty of room for getting groceries and beer.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

The minus you wrote about being a scooter... well it is but it is not. What? well it is because it has some of the basic features of a scooter, BUT it will do over 100 mph! can your average scooter do that? NO, as much as I like the Ruckus, well it only goes up to 35-40 mph.
Lots of scooter will go 100 mph including my Scarabeo, the BMW, several Aprilia (most of which are not available in the US sadly), as well as a few Kymcos like the Xciting 500 which should also go over 100mph. Others come pretty damned close like the BV 350, Yamaha Majesty and Burgman 400. Heck, my Vespa GTS will go to the low 80s stock as will my son's Sports City (okay mid 80s on it with the bigger tires.)

You Ruckus is a very small scooter with a 50cc engine. While the Ruckus is a good scoot and one that is heavily modified to some really cool looking scoots it isn't your typical scooter.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Solution:

Ride a Yamaha Tmax! Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
PassTheGravy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
I have a Burgman 650 and a Goldwing. The Burgman is a fine touring bike. The Goldwing is a GREAT one.

The Wing is more comfortable by far, and has more conveniences. But the Burgman 650 is no slouch, has plenty of power and storage, and makes a fine touring bike for not much money. A lot of bang for the buck.

But, when I'm loading up for a cross country trip, the Wing is the weapon of choice without any debate or hesitation whatsoever.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
Geezerider
Just coastin'

Oddometer: 869
I rode my 650 from SC to AK and back this year. It is a whole lot more competent as a touring rig than my VFR.
Geezerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
Tory1942
The Retired Reprobate

Oddometer: 79
To Hell & Back

This past April, I rode my Burgman 650 to Hell & back (Hell, Michigan) -- 1400 miles.

I 'camped' in motels and ate in restaurants (did carry emergency food -- I'll not eat in Denny's again unless the alternative is starvation).

No mechanical problems of any kind -- just smoothly applied power, for back roads and the slab. An exvcellent b ike for my 6' 8" frame and 65 y/o status.

Then I told two friends … and they told two friends … and so on, and so on, and so on. [TV commercial]

When correctly viewed, everything is lewd – I could tell you ‘things’ about Peter Pan, and the Wizard of Oz is a Dirty Old Man. [‘60s satire]
Tory1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
oldrt
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Try my luck with a Burgman 650 Exe -

Well my new Burgman 650 Exe will be in for me to pick up this week. I have reached a point in my life that I want to try a a CVT transmission. Oh but I still have several other bike in the garage if I am not happy. The bike I am replacing is a low milage '06 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. The wife would not let me replace the GL1800 unless I get an other GW. If I want horsepower I fire up the FJR if I want to cruise I ride the Road Glide.
After riding a long demo ride on a Burgmean 650 I was ready to trade.

I will let you know how it is after I but some miles on it.
oldrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
I rented a wing for a weekend. I loved it. I'd own the burg, and rent a wing if ya really need it. Dad always said, 'if it has tits or tires...RENT it" That is really key for the OP to take note of.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #14
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
I was cruising my local craigslist for a sport-touring bike to use a few future road trips when I saw a Burgman 650. I then dug a little deeper to discover it has an adjustable windscreen, trunk, abs, sport shift, and storage out the wazoo! To me, it is like a poor mans goldwing if you add a vented tall windcreen and rear box.

Am I nuts to consider doing some lengthy touring on a Burgman vs. buying a used sport touring bike?

Pros vs. Cons (feel free to add)
Pros:
Cost
Reliability
Shaft (gear drive)
Good wind protection
Ability to move legs to keep comfortable
decent mileage
ergonomics
Sufficient power

Cons:
Tons of tupperware
It is a scooter
No Cruise control
???

Friends Burgman 650 w/ 23k just went down and it was a bad tranny bearing which destroyed the tranny and cost him $4,000 to fix. Though it had been in for a shifting problem Suzuki would do nothing on it. The auto/manual/power buttons on this thing are apt to cause trouble and the bike has to almost be disassembled to get at a belt change.....bottom line...stay away or always keep factory warranty.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #15
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
Friends Burgman 650 w/ 23k just went down and it was a bad tranny bearing which destroyed the tranny and cost him $4,000 to fix. Though it had been in for a shifting problem Suzuki would do nothing on it. The auto/manual/power buttons on this thing are apt to cause trouble and the bike has to almost be disassembled to get at a belt change.....bottom line...stay away or always keep factory warranty.
I was talking to the guys about this - either a big coincidence or this was at midsouth motoplex! Bad bad shame on suzuki. If you document issues then this happens, thats just SAD, I'm sure they lost a customer for life.