User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Puke My 73 Yamaha TX750 Rebuild....

What I have 73 (74?) TX750 only parts missing (so far that I can tell )

Left Side sidecover
Left side engine (points) cover
Seat...

So I started parts hunting.. came up with all the parts I am missing
the left side sidecover was a bitch to get.. it seems that I can find the Right side in various colors and conditions but the only left side cover I was able to find during a months of searching was in the wonderful color and condition of rusted but repairable... I also picked up a Service manual for the thing off eBay.. (Which I hate having to use but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...I am refering to eBay not the directions ) I will post the pics of the bike tomorrow night... the next few weeks my brother will be up and help me work on my house (flooded in Iowa june floods) and working on the bike

So my trial begins....while i have heard both good and bad (I quote Mike from Mikes XS The (tx750) are a grenade!) pics coming soon...
bulldog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,326
Hiya n00b. Don't have a TX750, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1980
pics coming soon...

And, if you can pick up some beer while yer out ...
Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
I admire your pluck.

<<<>>>while i have heard both good and bad (I quote Mike from Mikes XS The (tx750) are a grenade!)...>>>

I've never heard anything good about that model.
By the time I started wrenching in a Yamaha dealership in 1979, they had all but disappeared. I only saw two in the 22 years I was a M.C. wrench and neither ran.
I asked the service manager when I was a Noob, what happened to them.
He simple replied, "too many chains".

'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
motoretro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Time may not have been good to the 1973-4 TX750.....I test drove new one in late 1972 and thought it was pretty neat, Great looks and a sweet sound. Not sure what the mechanic issues were about but would like to see the internals of one.
Motoretro
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
The Vert
Banned

Oddometer: 1,717
270 degree almost vertical twin. With Dunstall mufflers, probably the best SOUNDING bike I ever owned.
The Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 730
Go here:

http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/Yammy.html

I bought a 73 new when I was 16.
thencamebronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
far2389
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Newby Post - Have Three restored Tx750's

Just joined and this is my first post. I'm basically into bmw airheads and Yamaha Tx750's. Have a 79 R65, 95 R100M R1150RT and three restored Tx750's: two 1974 and one 1973. One 74 was a good find that I got cheap (exhaust crossover pipe was cracked, replaced it and installed aftermarket exhaust, cleaned carbs and is now a good runner). The other 74 was a barn basket case and is now restored except for top end changeout/rebuild (using top end from another one I bought for parts). The 73 is a gem I found in June that is the cleanest 35 year old bike you will ever see. Replaced tires, throttle cable, battery and cleaned carbs and runs great.

Granted, these bikes died an early death due to initial serious quality/warranty issues, the ones I have are Ok bikes as long as scheduled maintenance is performed and you don't run them at the red line. I have accumulated my own stash of major parts and have a couple of good sources for the maintenance/rebuild gaskets/etc. (although they can be expensive-oil filter a good example).

Pic of the 74 restored one is attached. Will attach pic of the mint 73 later (the only pic is on my PC at work)

far2389 screwed with this post 11-26-2008 at 07:14 AM
far2389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

Cool2 parts easy to find

So far I have had no real problems finding parts for the old girl. I think thee hardest part to find for me was a left side sidecover. Took three months to find a rusty old p.o.s that i bought then two more have shown up on ebay, one in immaculate condition for a price I would never pay and another that was in excellent condition for $15. Now that most of the stuff for the house is out of the garage, I had the chance to wheel the old girl into a corner and pull off the carbs. The carbs will get a bath later on.. I will get pictures closer to November I want to take pictures of what the insides look like of the carbs and such before cleaning them up. If the service manual is any indication then this is one complicated beast (engine) and I am no mechanic so the going is going to be slow
Old 10-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
far2389
Adventurer

73 Tx750

Here is my other running TX750 (not a very good pic). Was garage kept all its life -no rust (even in the gas tank. Needed tires, throttle cable, carbs cleaned, and timing reset. I added the luggage rack and crash bars from a parts tx I bought.

My other restored 74 tx (previous post)was a last winter project (have a heated garage).

The second 74 tx that needs engine top end rebuild will be this winters project. Gives me something to tinker on in the long northern Michigan winters.

Does the starter work on yours? All three of mine came with slipping or non-engaging starters. The starter clutch has 3 rollers that engage. The rollers have pins with a spring inside. All mine had a least one of these pins/springs busted. A real pain to get at to fix (need a special rotor puller).

I had this bike out and put 50 miles on it today. Get lots of looks and people always want to know what year it is.

far2389 screwed with this post 11-26-2008 at 07:14 AM
Old 10-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
gunner65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Cool bike what kind of windscreen? I am actually thinking about buying the TX from my friend.
gunner65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
far2389
Adventurer

Maier Windscreen

Its a Maier windscreen from JC Whitney - about $85 (item#019635)
Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2389
Does the starter work on yours? All three of mine came with slipping or non-engaging starters. The starter clutch has 3 rollers that engage. The rollers have pins with a spring inside. All mine had a least one of these pins/springs busted. A real pain to get at to fix (need a special rotor puller).
I have not gotten to the point where i am testing the starter... I do plan on tinkering with this and making it my Iowa winter project. As my garage is not heated but I have a good sized kerosene heater that keeps it nice and toasty as long as the wind not to cold...
Old 10-13-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1980
I have not gotten to the point where i am testing the starter... I do plan on tinkering with this and making it my Iowa winter project. As my garage is not heated but I have a good sized kerosene heater that keeps it nice and toasty as long as the wind not to cold...
Make sure you're well ventilated with that kerosene heater dude

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote