User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
airansun OP
Ride Wet!

Oddometer: 307
Cry R1200GS Drive Shaft U-Joint Failure @ 58K Miles

Yes, I regret to report that my ‘05 GS has eaten its drive shaft’s front universal joint.

A recent 125 mile freeway trip persuaded me that something might be amiss: going over rises and dips, as the suspension unloaded and recompressed, I observed increased vibration in the pegs and bars. Pulling in the clutch made the symptom much less pronounced. I assumed that a driveline bearing was going.

I got home fine, although I rode slower than typical. The next day (a Saturday), I rode it up to a local bike hangout. On winding two lane narrow roads (under 50 mph), I did not notice anything significant. But, going across long, straighter sections at 60-70, the same symptom was present. I rode the bike home and parked it.

This past Tuesday, I rode the bike into the dealership. By that time, I noticed that there was a rubbing noise at less than 25 mph. Without an appointment, it took the shop a couple of days to get to it. Yesterday, I stopped by and was shown the drive shaft. The u-joint needle bearings were all gone or embedded in the metal. There was about 3/16" play and the metal was all heat colored and deformed. (I will post pictures when I get the part back from the dealer.)

Facts:
Bike has just short of 58,000 miles.
Very little dirt riding (less than 1,000 miles probably) and probably less than 25% freeway either.

At 54,000 miles, the transmission assembly tab on the bike’s frame was repaired. While the bike was split, we replaced the clutch. The input splines were almost completely shot, so the shaft was replaced at that time too. Here’s the link to that thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202388&page=2

Obviously, there may be a relationship between this previous problem and the drive shaft.

Just thought you all should know.

PS - The bike does have an extended warrantee.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
airansun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Oh Boy now I can look forward to something else going wrong. I am getting tired of the final drive failing. I demand greater variety. Dave
Old 09-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
GsGrins
does his own stunts

Oddometer: 243
mine tanked at 41,000 miles. It's a ~ $650. part, u-joint & driveshaft. I traded mine broken on a Sprint ST (ABS)....
GsGrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
brenter
Brenter

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsGrins
mine tanked at 41,000 miles. It's a ~ $650. part, u-joint & driveshaft. I traded mine broken on a Sprint ST (ABS)....
You must be missing it since you are on this site.
brenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
GsGrins
does his own stunts

Oddometer: 243
"missing it" ? No, not me. My early '05 was just a lemon from the get-go. I pushed it into Canada w/ 700 miles on the clock (faulty o-ring on fuel pump brain cover) , spent 2000.+ to have the motor resealed. 3 final drive seals in 3 months, clutch slave cyl (new, updated seal failed), then the u-joint/driveshaft failure @ 41,000 miles.

People visit sites like this to gather additional datapoints. I've had trouble free experiences w/ two previous GS's. If I were do do my MotoAmericas ride again the R12GS would NOT be on my list, short or otherwise, for appropriate bikes.

I wish you well w/ yours......
GsGrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Just_Sean
herewegoagain

Oddometer: 14,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD
Oh Boy now I can look forward to something else going wrong. I am getting tired of the final drive failing. I demand greater variety. Dave
At least he had some warning - my driveshaft went (the rubber dampener disintegrated) with no symptoms at 58,000 miles

Then the FD Big bearing at 58,600 (same trip )

Fuel pump at 61,000

Maybe I should sell it?

NOT!!!!!! I abuse it - it takes it,

So, when I hit 100,000 miles, (and about every 50,000 after that)I'll change the driveshaft, FD and fuel pump as preventative measures
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,293
Front u-joint blew up at 39,000 miles on my 07 12GS too. I noticed a very light pulsating vibe in 6th gear for a couple of hundred miles. Wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not, but it seemed some type of bearing might be going out.

Had an appointment with the dealer for new tires and thought I would have them ride it and see if they felt the vibe too. However, before I could ever get to the dealer, the front u-joint bearing blew up. Gouged the swingarm housing when it went. I'm out of oem warranty, but fortunately, I bought the extended warranty at time of bike purchase (Don't ride a late model BMW without it!). $1800 in parts and labor paid by warranty and she's back running fine. Haven't heard about too many of these, but I do know one other rider in town this happed on their 07 12GS too. Just another worry bead to add to the list.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,276
A Dumb Question...But What The Hell...

Front U-joint...any possible link to not lubing the front drive line splines? Could that affect the angle while the u-joint was under load? Most riders [my guess] never lube the front spline on the drive shaft and if the splines do not have the correct movement could that incorrectly or excessively load the front u-joint?

Just askin'
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,293
Fas as I know front splines were never lubed other than at the factory. I had the dealer replace FD oil at the 600 service, and then again at 36k miles. No FD issues to report.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Front U-joint...any possible link to not lubing the front drive line splines? Could that affect the angle while the u-joint was under load? Most riders [my guess] never lube the front spline on the drive shaft and if the splines do not have the correct movement could that incorrectly or excessively load the front u-joint?

Just askin'
This should have nothing to do with lubing the front splines since the splines are locked by the C-clip. The rear splines move just a tiny bit for any needed compensation.

If I had to guess I would suggest the front U-joints were improperly lubed at assembly which caused them to fail.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
fortunately, I bought the extended warranty at time of bike purchase (Don't ride a late model BMW without it!).
I have a feeling that this is the best farkle money can buy. I'm sometimes suspicious that all the stories on this site are fabricated by BMW to sell warranties. Alas, they are not, I almost forgot about the warranty until the saleslady mentioned it then I was like "oh fuck yeah." lol, I hope it never pays for itself.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I'm sometimes suspicious that all the stories on this site are fabricated by BMW to sell warranties. .
Since BMW doesn't sell warranties, why would they do that?

Semper Paratus

marty hill screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 07:37 AM
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,108
On my 1150 Adventure the first driveshaft was replaced at 97,000 miles. The front joit was loose but not exploded.

The second driveshaft died at around 168,000 near redline in third gear.

That took out the swingarm as well.

There were no swingarms for 1150's in the US. No estimate on when. Cost new was in excess of $800 plus the $700 drive shaft.
A friend found two used swing arms from Ebay resellers. I got one for less than $200.

Badne$$

more badne$$

New to me

All better,

I was two miles from home and the asshat behind me passed me on the right forcing me into the triangle between the ramp and freeway when it all let loose.
I now pull the swinging arm off and the shaft and feel the u-joint every year, or about 20,000 miles. It's just cheaper that way.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
franzzzzzzz
shut up and dance

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
more badne$$
Swingarm dont look to bad..Why change for another ? Is there more serious gouge ?
I had same experience last year and paralever was grind a bit but reusable.

franzzzzzzz screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 04:33 PM
franzzzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,108
There is evidence of cracks. I bought and installed another.
The "another" was free from visible problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzzzzzz View Post
Swingarm dont look to bad..Why change for another ? Is there more serious gouge ?
I had same experience last year and paralever was grind a bit but reusable.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote