User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Thumb Concours C14 thread

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, and absolutely love it. The smoothness and the power of this bike never ceases to impress. Here's some pics from the Thanksgiving holiday.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
Shorty
carpe'diem ona motorcycle

Oddometer: 460
Look'n Good!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Lovely looking machine. Would love to get one.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Nice pics!!

Lovely aren't they!!!
I've had mine now a little over a year with about 25,000km up, seriously nice alround bike; mine's also black.... shines up so nice don't they!!!

Enjoy!!, you'll have a long and good ride if you can keep your license
HyperPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Wout67 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
you're right, Pete.

I've found myself saying "You're going to get yourself in trouble on this bike."

I have two pictures at my desk at work. One of my daughter, and one of my Connie.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,178
Congratulations McGee The Connie looks great...from KLR to Connie wow
Nice job - FlagRS
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,234
G'Day Pete!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrpete
Nice pics!!

Lovely aren't they!!!
I've had mine now a little over a year with about 25,000km up, seriously nice alround bike; mine's also black.... shines up so nice don't they!!!

Enjoy!!, you'll have a long and good ride if you can keep your license
Hey Pete, and TJ too I see!!!
Yeah, I made my way over here also....Got fed up with some of the stuff on my "Parent Forum"

I got the first one in Richmond, (see my avitar with Momma on the back, on the Dragon...) a year and a half ago, and with a little over 12k on it now, it just don't get any better!!! Wanted the Black one, but had no choice but to buy Neutron....
Did Ya get ABS Angus???.... first time it kicks in you'll be wondering why every bike doesn't have it...awesome.... not that i use the brakes all that much.....

Hurry up and burn those trashy (not really, they are great for 3 or 4k) tires off, and treat yourself to some Pilot Road II's....

Ride safe, and hire a good attourney.....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Shorty
carpe'diem ona motorcycle

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES

Hurry up and burn those trashy (not really, they are great for 3 or 4k) tires off, and treat yourself to some Pilot Road II's....

Ride safe, and hire a good attourney.....
+1+ A tire change does wonders for this bike.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
rumor or fact?

I've heard the shop rate to change the plugs and adjust the valves is something like eight hours labor......??? Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
The C-14 and The Bandit S. The Bandit S is the wifes bike. I had a zx 10 before the concours, but the ZX10 gave up the gost at about 113,000 miles.

The shore of Lake Superiour

Nothing like a brisk ride, only a couple hundred miles to go. Temp...19 degrees. Wipe the frost off and ride. Just remember the roads are slick until the sun comes out.

I understand the feeling of a thousand mile ride. I did an Iron butt back in May. We circled Lake Michigan. 1033 miles in about 17 hours of riding. Geoff my number one clown on a Vulcan 900 went with me. Here is Geoff crossing the Big Mac on our way back down state.

How about some shopping riding in early Dec. No snow yet, but we put on 300 plus miles that day and I don't think it got above freezing.

wibornz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Second Request........

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
I've heard the shop rate to change the plugs and adjust the valves is something like eight hours labor......??? Bruce
Come on, one of you'z guy'z has to have put enough mile on one of these 14's to require plugs and a valve adjustment........what's the dealer price of these services! Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Come on, one of you'z guy'z has to have put enough mile on one of these 14's to require plugs and a valve adjustment........what's the dealer price of these services! Bruce
http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=47800.0
http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=48672.0

and the maintenance video for the do it yourselfers...
http://www.angelridevideos.com/

bross screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 11:35 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
KenB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
When I was considering buying a C14, I did some research on this to check the cost and see if it was something I'd want to do myself.

I came across this picture over on concours.org from someone that was doing the valve job himself, and was not having fun. I decided to call the dealer's service manager.

The service manager said it would be 5 hours at $80/hour and the interval is every 15K miles.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB
When I was considering buying a C14, I did some research on this to check the cost and see if it was something I'd want to do myself.

I came across this picture over on concours.org from someone that was doing the valve job himself, and was not having fun. I decided to call the dealer's service manager.

The service manager said it would be 5 hours at $80/hour and the interval is every 15K miles.
That doesn't look much worse than my BMW RT.

In all honesty it took longer to take the plastic off that first time than it did to check/adjust the valves. I was taking my time and making sure I didn't miss a screw etc. and break something. Subsequent jobs went much faster but it still took just as long to remove all the plastic as it did to do the actual work. That's just a fact of life of faired bikes and if you have a dealer do your servicing, then you're gonna pay someone $80/hr to remove said fairings. That's one of the reasons I buy a service manual and prefer to do the work myself. Also one of the reasons why I prefer naked bikes, they allow you to just get to work.

But seeing a pile of plastic like that on the floor, shouldn't discourage anyone from trying this or from buying the bike if they really like it. Just count on an extra hour or two spent every 15,000mi, no big deal.

I thought the oil change procedure on Jodie's BMW F650 was ridiculously complicated the first time I did it. Mainly because it was the first dry sump bike we had ever owned. All our other bikes were drain plug with spin on filter and 10 minute jobs. But after my second time with the F650 it only took another 15 minutes to do an oil change. Big deal, every 10,000kms.

So many people like to complain about the valve adjust interval on BMW boxers, but sheesh, it's a 15-20 minute job and could be done on the side of the road if necessary.

Our bikes are machines and machines need maintenance. If the bike makes you smile, then doing the maintenance isn't a big deal, it's all part of the experience.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
I do all my own maintenance. I am at close to 14000 miles for my first year with the C-14, so it is just about time to adjust the valves. Plus this will give me something to do on the days when the roads are two icey. I rode on Sunday, cold just above freezing, light mist of rain, and strong winds, but hey still got in about 70 miles. I thought it was going to turn to freezing rain before I got home.

One thing the C-14 does pretty well is protect you from the elements. Was thinking of doing an extended ride the week end before Christmas, I will just have to wait and see what the road conditions are. They can change hourly in Michigan. I don't mind the cold, or even a patch or two of ice and snow, its when its miles of snow or ice and you have to ride at a crawl with 4x4 SUV and trucks blowing buy that takes the fun out of the ride.
wibornz is offline   Reply With Quote