ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,205
Another 276c Happy Camper

Got my 276C Garmin yesterday from GPSDiscount (Thanks for the tip Arch). I also got the Touratech 176 MvG mount from CycoActive. Took a while to get it all sorted out...

I cut a hole in the mount to allow the power plug to "float" in the GPS and not press on the mount. I also (not so gently) put a small bend in the plate to allow the gps to seat deeper in the mount, relieved the area arount the antenna to allow better clearance, and lenthened the verticle slot that the GPS lip fits into. Having used the MvG mount for the GPS V, this isn't quite as secure a mount

The hole on the right, the deeper antenna hole, the longer verticle slot, and the not so subtle bend in the back plate.

The RAM Mount

The other downside is I'm using a RAM mount to hold this on the handle bars. The unit is too big and heavy to use this set-up for serious off road. I'm looking into a shorter arm that is a straight shot either up or down rather than from the side like I have it now.

Took a short ride this morning and this thing ROCKS. The redraw when using the in/out buttons is instantaneous. Very easy to read. Lots of information, also easily readable. It seems to have a better reciever than the V as well. It will sync up in the garage where the V wouldn't.

So far my only bitch is the track function. It looks like you can't turn it off. I'm still looking to see if I can. It certainly isn't a problem, the unit has computing power to spare. As an example I input the MOA National site in as a waypoint and told it to route from Home to there. Took less than a minute. Can wait for the "off course" testing (one of my bitches about the V, too slow).

Now to wait for the 256Meg card

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
First of all, Gerg!
As for turning off the track log, hit Menu twice, click down to Track on the left, then over to Record Mode to the right. Gotta be out of simulator mode, though.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
jcolombo
Lurking Moderator

Oddometer: 1,248
I have short arm

I have a shorty arm (2"?) I'm not using - PM me if you want it.

JC
jcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolombo

JC
JC, I've got an assortment due to fitting to three different bike. I've got the short arm too. Just need to tinker with it a bit.

Thanks for the offer.
Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:44 AM   #5
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,023
looks good! which RAM clamp is that on the bars, the large one they make?
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:57 AM   #6
CroMag
Gelande Saut It

Oddometer: 3,044
Gerg, I see a lot of guys using the RAM mounts, but doesn't that elevate the GPS too much (aka blocking the instruments from view)? What about vibration transmitted up the arm?

I have a Ricky bar setup, same as yours, as best I can tell. I'm currently running a GPS V, and got a bolt on cross bar from Touratech, which allowed me to use the Touratech mount which uses two clamps directly onto the crossbar. Keeps the unit below the instruments and centered on the bar.

Just curious cause thanks to you ffs, I'm now lusting for a 276.

Mondo Slabo to Alabamo
CroMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #7
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolombo

JC
I could use one since Greg doesn't need it.
Bob Naumann - W5OV - Sachse, TX - K1300GT - IBA #19100
NJ_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #8
edwyun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg
I cut a hole in the mount to allow the power plug to "float" in the GPS and not press on the mount.
Great solution. My cheap way was just to stick a 1/8"~1/4" rubber pad in the back of the MvG mount before mounting the 276C.

Quote:
The other downside is I'm using a RAM mount to hold this on the handle bars. The unit is too big and heavy to use this set-up for serious off road.
How about this:

Or something like this:

'98 Ducati 900 SS/FE
IBA#18798
www.geocities.com/edwyun/index.html
edwyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Got my 276C Garmin yesterday from GPSDiscount (Thanks for the tip Arch).
Wow....those guys are great!

Not only did they have the best price to be found anywhere.
They included free fed-ex.
Flawless web site operation, e-mail confirmation and tracking info.
The package arrived a day and half ahead of the delivery promise.
(ordered Monday afternoon; arrived Wednesday morning)
A free tee-shirt included.

did I forget to mention......the 276 kicks ass.

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:51 AM   #10
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
I have been on the sidelines reading up on GPS and the different models. I travel weekly for my job and would like to know how much prep has to be done to use this from city to city? Is it a quick, load the city/address from my laptop process? How many cities can it hold?

thanks, Bill

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:41 AM   #11
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash
I have been on the sidelines reading up on GPS and the different models. I travel weekly for my job and would like to know how much prep has to be done to use this from city to city? Is it a quick, load the city/address from my laptop process? How many cities can it hold?

thanks, Bill
Something like the 276 is perfect for that kind of thing. The Find/GoTo function is much improved over earlier models.

With a 256meg card you can keep about a dozen medium to large cities in memory at any one time.

You don't need to use your computer at all. You just enter an address or intersection into the GPS unit. It now searches streets by city, so mispelling street names is much less of an issue than it used to be. Takes a little practice, but after 5-10 searches it becomes easy. Once an address is entered and a route established you can choose to save it for future use or just go there once and dump it.

I like to use mine with a RAM mount and windshield suction cup for car travel. I don't have one, but Garmin offers a cig power cord that includes a speaker for voice prompts along the way.

The 2610 is also an excellent choice for car use, mostly because it comes with all the goodies you need (Mapping software, mounts, adaptors) and uses CF data cards!

Good luck,

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:57 AM   #12
natparktiger
Medicated User...

Oddometer: 143
Question GPS opinions?

Hey, sorry to interrupt this thread, with a non-276C question, but...

Anyone have MC riding experience/opinions about the Garmin GPSMap 60CS? I've been on the proverbial fence in chosing a GPS for some time, and really can only afford a unit that will work well both as a handheld and MC/cage toy.

This looks to be the ticket. While I realize that screen size is small relative to some of the auto specific units, the gps will really be used to check directions/routes while at rest, not while riding. Someday, maybe I can afford both?

Thanks, and safe riding.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:22 AM   #13
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash

thanks, Bill
Bill,

Here's an example of how many maps you can load on a 256 MB card (the red area). I was playing around with it to see how many I would (could) load once my card arrives, so I thought I'd share it. Keep in mind that the maps for the 276 and 2610 are more "dense" due to the fact that thay have to load a bunch of extra routing information. If you use MapSouce USA v5.0 for a 176 and don't select to load any routing information, you could load about 20% more area.

Marc
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #14
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Bill,

Here's an example of how many maps you can load on a 256 MB card (the red area).
Marc

"HOT DAMN!" he says with greed in his eyes and lust in his heart.

"Gotta have one," he continues.

The internet search for the best deal starts (to the sound of the Star Wars soundtrack.)
Old 05-16-2004, 07:17 AM   #15
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Thanks for all of the replys everyone! This clears up a lot of mystery. So basically, if I'm travelling to Phoenix, let's say, I would load that city in the memory (from my PC, via USB) and I could input the actual address from the front panel? I would then set it on the rent car dashboard at the airport and the autorouting would kick in and tell me how to get there? Is it a moving map display? Would there be any reason to select a 176c over the 2610? Weatherproofing..?

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 05-16-2004 at 08:51 AM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote