ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Piston OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Garmin Oregon.....Thoughts/Reviews/Opinions?

I didn't see a thread on the Oregon yet so I figured I'd start one. If there already is one feel free to delete this and send me in the right direction.

How does the Oregon compare to the 60Csx? I know the 60Csx is the standard around here and most people didn't like the Colorado when it first came out, I'm wondering if the Oregon would be a good alternative to the 60?

Is anyone using the Oregon yet? What are your thoughts on it? Advantages vs. Disadvantes? Seems to have good battery life for a large screen but I'm not sure how good a touch screen would be with gloves on?

Seems like the track function is similar to the 60, is the brightness of the screen better than the Colorado? I know it seems like the Oregon should be compared more to the Colorado than the 60, but since everyone seems to love their 60, I figure I would compare it to the good points of it.

Thanks for the info and let the discussion begin!
Piston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=Garmin+Oregon

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Piston OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
thanks jr356! that was exactly what i was looking for!
Piston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
There's also a fair amount of Oregon discussion in the Colorado thread, and it's much more recent than in the Oregon thread linked above.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406597

Consensus seems to be that the Oregon's weak point is screen legibility in bright sunlight, but according to someone who owns one, it's not bad as long as you keep it plugged in (screen is apparently significantly brighter when running on external power).

I'm planning on buying one soon -- I like the compact size and love the user interface.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

For anyone who's interested and hasn't already done so, check out the other thread where there's been Oregon discussion going on. I've bought one and have been playing around with it in various situations, and my findings are posted in that thread.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...83#post8763383

--mark

Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
coolhandace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Oregon 200 Review

Well I have been trying to decide which GPS unit to put on my KTM. I live in northern Utah and need something to help me navigate the mountain trails and when I hit the pavement get me to the closest gas station. I have been looking hard at the Zumo 450, Gpsmap 60cx and the Oregon 200. REI has a sale going, $259 for the Oregon so I picked one up yesterday.

I put a 4gb card in it and installed some topo maps. I have been testing it today while driving around in the car. The unit is very solid and well built. The screen resolution is great. It is very intuitive. I think I am ready to hit the trails with it already.

It is very clear to me that this unit will not be usable on the motorcycle unless it is connected to a power source. The screen is way too dark without the backlight. It will have to be on all the time to be usable. The next question is the Mini USB connection. How well is it going to hold up to the vibration and moisture? I don’t ride in the rain but do a lot of stream crossings and it will get wet sooner or later. What if you coat the connection with Di-electric Grease? What about running it with the back light on all the time on NiMH batteries? I wonder how long it would last. I would love to hear from those who are using the Oregon.

Have Fun!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
brianstanfill
has adventure

Oddometer: 193
sucks down the elecrtrons

My Oregon is perfect for hiking when I need a compact, light-weight, and intuitive GPS to track my way. Rarely do I not know where I'm headed while in the wilderness, so it serves its purpose as a track log.

Its navigation abilities are limited by a small screen and its incredible hunger for batteries. I wouldn't disregard the possibility of owning one GPS suited for road navigation and another for mountain climbing.

As for gloves, that depends on the size/thickness material of your glove. The touch screen is not like the iPhone, as it does not require skin contact. It is actually depression sensitive. If gloves interfere, try a stylus made of anything rigid (like the back end of a pencil).

For practical purposes, it will track (sans back light) for 16 hours on a set of batteries. Get it cold, and that number drops.

I recommend buying from http://rei.com if you're into trying before buying. REI's 100% satisfaction guarantee will let you return the GPS if you don't like it.

Cheers,
Brian

Tour of the Americas: August 16, 2010 - present
brianstanfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Brian's post reminds me of something I forgot to mention in my post above.

I had no trouble using the touch-screen even with my thick winter riding gloves on. Even hitting small buttons was no problem.

And yeah, I've noticed too that the Oregon chews through batteries if you don't plug it in.

--mark

PS: I recorded a track of yesterday's ride, and its accuracy is pretty impressive.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Followup: gorgeous day today, got out for a ride on my XR650L with the Oregon mounted up and plugged in, had absolutely no problem reading it in any light conditions. This included bright sunlight, both directly on the screen and with the screen facing away from the sun. Even riding into the sun, with road spray on my face shield catching the sunlight, I could still read the Oregon's screen without a problem.

Again, the caveat is that the Oregon HAS to be plugged into external power.

--mark

Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Garmin misses the point-AGAIN

I tried the Colorado 400t- sent it back...as it lacked simple, mutiple color,track-keeping functionality. A pretty basic need for me. Now they've repackaged it in the Oregon....ack!
I use my handheld GPSs for Search & Rescue and put them through some basic but rough paces. The 400t was great but the battery life and lack of the above features were a joke.
Garmin should fire this iPod/iPhone inspired design team (or at least relegate them to non-serious user group products ) and get back to what they used to do best-simple, reliable and pathfinding technology....grrrrrrrrr

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP

Rubber Cow screwed with this post 02-08-2009 at 10:12 PM
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Um... have you actually USED an Oregon?

It absolutely has simple, multiple-color, track-keeping functionality. And it can display them simultaneously.

I think this functionality has been added to the Colorado as well via software/firmware updates... but regardless, the Oregon is actually not simply a Colorado with a touch screen. There are a number of differences in the software.

--mark

Old 05-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Copying Tracks to the Oregon 450

This is what is happening on my Oregon 450 using MapSource 6.15.11

If I open up a .gdb file with one track log in it I can copy that track log to the Oregon 450 successfully.

If I open up another .gdb file with one track log in it and copy the track log to the Oregon 450 it wipes out the previous track log. (Same MapSource instance).

Here's the twist, If I exit out of MapSource, restart MapSource and open up a .gdb file I can copy the track log to the Oregon and it does not wipe out the previous track log.

So it has something to do with doing multiple copies in the same MapSource session.

This behavior is not happening with my 60CSx.

-- Update --

I just loaded down MapSource 6.16.1 and this problem has not been resolved in this latest release.

MotoJim screwed with this post 05-22-2010 at 02:56 PM
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 162
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJim
Here's the twist, If I exit out of MapSource, restart MapSource and open up a .gdb file I can copy the track log to the Oregon and it does not wipe out the previous track log.
Very Interesting. So I tried this: I downloaded a route from mapsource to the Oregon 450 and it was stored in the GPX folder as file "Temp.gpx".

I closed then restarted mapsource and tried to send a different route to the Oregon. Still only one file in the GPX folder titled "Temp.gpx".

I then closed mapsource AND disconnected the Oregon. The second file was visible in the Route Planner. I then reconnected the Oregon in Mass Storage Mode, and restarted mapsource. Before I sent a route again I checked the Oregon's GPX folder. The file I had just sent had been renamed "Imported_22-MAY-10 034113 PM.gpx". I was then able to send another route successfully which was given the name "Temp.gpx".

Disconnecting the Oregon seems to be what takes the Temp file and makes it permanent. It appears to be an Oregon issue. (I just did a webupdate on the 450 so it should have the latest software.)

You can get around this by renaming the Temp file after sending each route without exiting mapsource or disconnecting the Oregon. I really should be out riding rather than futzing around with this.

Wayne
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackRoads
Disconnecting the Oregon seems to be what takes the Temp file and makes it permanent. It appears to be an Oregon issue.
I actually wonder whether this is an Oregon issue or a Mapsource issue, or a combination of both. Because I'm reasonably certain that I've uploaded several separate items from Road Trip to my Oregon several times, and never had a problem with anything missing. (Haven't tried it yet with BaseCamp -- I've only done single uploads of multiple items, not multiple uploads of single items.)

--mark

Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 162
[quote=markbvt]I actually wonder whether this is an Oregon issue or a Mapsource issue, or a combination of both. Because I'm reasonably certain that I've uploaded several separate items from Road Trip to my Oregon several times, and never had a problem with anything missing. (Haven't tried it yet with BaseCamp -- I've only done single uploads of multiple items, not multiple uploads of single items.)

--mark[/quote

Loading multiple routes from a single mapsource file seems to work fine as the Oregon stores these into a single .gpx file on it's internal memory. It seem to be a file naming problem. Why name this file "Temp.gpx" every time, then rename it with the date and time once it is disconnected? Why not simply name the new file with the date and time immediately? That way nothing would be overwritten.

Maybe there is some other reason the programmers chose to do it this way, but I can't think of it.