User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
racknack83 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
CRF230L Owners Check In

i just found this site and would like to hear what you guys think of and have done to your CRF230l's. Thanks Guys Evan
!!!
racknack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
WindPipe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Hey, glad to hear from another 230L person.

Great bike. I've been riding it a lot in the snow--spinning circles on the street in front of my house, and slugging my way through fields of deep powder.

My impressions: its my first motorcycle, so I can't really compare, but it sure beats my old Honda Express II--especially off road, as you can imagine ... too bad the myriad trails that were around when I had the Honda Express are now subdivisions!

Customization: XRs only billet rack, some generic atv handguards from Bass Pro (soon to be replaced real ones, I hope), some generic hippo-hands clones that I couldn't ride without , some d606s (with the intent to stud ... but now that I have them on, I am loath to mess them up with studs ...) self tapping studs from aerostich, unused, and a 12 tooth front sprocket, since the D606s were so huge, and rubbed the mudflap.

I'll post pics when I have moment to breath.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
racknack83 OP
Adventurer

did you put the 606s on both the front and rear and what do u think of them?
!!!

racknack83 screwed with this post 01-21-2009 at 01:49 PM
Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
WindPipe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Yes, I put the D606's on both the front and the rear. They seem OK to me. I didn't really have a problem with my trailwings, but I'd read that the D606s are much better ... plus I wanted as deep a knob as possible for studding (which I decided against later).

I can't really tell the difference on road ... except they are maybe a bit less smooth, and I have yet to take them off road (snow doesn't count).

My only "issue" with them has been the size, and consequently the need for the smaller front sprocket (I could have gotten a longer chain, but that cost more).

I **don't** like working on my bike, unlike most people (if i was better at it, I might like it, but as it is, I know just enough to break stuff), and ended up stripping a screw on the front sprocket when I swapped it out ... plus with the smaller front sprocket, the chain lies heavier on the chain guide, and I don't know if that is something I should worry about or not.

When the rear D606 wears enough, I'll probably put the original sprocket back in.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
racknack83 OP
Adventurer

cant wait to see pics
!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
laden christoff
The lord of the Dirt Naps

Oddometer: 9
It's awesome

this is my first bike, i know ppl told me not to get one new due to the fact that I'm new, but it was the only one that part dirt and street as well as a durable Honda.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Ok guys, I just picked this up for the wife. 08 CRF 230L with 5k on the clock. Got a great deal on it. New MT 21s front and rear. Literally not a scratch on it. The only thing I did was take the pee shooter off the OEM pipe. I want her to be heard on the road. It's bone stock other than that. Will I need to rejet with the open pipe or will it be fine. Anything I should know about these bikes? Anything need to be addressed before we go any farther? Thank and compared to the other thread I frequent (Husqvarna TE 610 owners sign in) this ones a bit light. Let's get good info flowing here! had to get my baby in the pic;)

Life is good!
1 lunger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Ok guys, I just picked this up for the wife.
Yeah right LOL

Everybody buys these for the wife, gf, so - but who's gonna ride it? Gotta admit, the little CRF is a hoot, even with other bikes in the stable.

Can't imagine re-jetting is going to help much. I pulled the emissions equipment and shimmed the needle with 1 washer, seems to run well from sea level to 5000 msl.

Enjoy "the wife's" new bike. :-)
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,240
All you pulled off was the spark arrestor right? I wouldn't think a rejet is necessary
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips guys! I got spoiled with my FI bike and JD tuner. Changing jets seems like a PIA to me now.

Life is good!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

FYI, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19045821

Life is good!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
SixtyAte
Daily Dirt Commuter

Oddometer: 92
Pirelli MT-21

I put on a set of Pirelli MT-21's a couple of days ago and so far I'm very happy with them. They are certainly more aggressive than stock yet still have good road manners. I'm having some shimmy at 50+ on gravel, but I'm running 38 psi. Dropping the pressure some such help.
I put them on myself, and recommend everyone else do the same. Motion Pro spoons and Youtube videos made it go pretty smooth.

As you can see I got almost 400 miles out of the stockers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hh2TgcExRM
Old 08-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
I put on a set of Pirelli MT-21's a couple of days ago and so far I'm very happy with them. They are certainly more aggressive than stock yet still have good road manners. I'm having some shimmy at 50+ on gravel, but I'm running 38 psi. Dropping the pressure some such help.
I put them on myself, and recommend everyone else do the same. Motion Pro spoons and Youtube videos made it go pretty smooth.

As you can see I got almost 400 miles out of the stockers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hh2TgcExRM
That's way way way too much air pressure for the MT 21!! That's a lightweight bike, 18-22 is plenty! Make sure you put the front tire back on proper, axle bolt 1st, the bounce the suspension, then the pinch bolts. If done on the wrong order, this could cause the shake at speed!

Life is good!

1 lunger screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 07:25 PM
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
SixtyAte
Daily Dirt Commuter

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
That's way way way too much air pressure for the MT 21!! That's a lightweight bike, 18-22 is plenty! Make sure you put the front tire back on proper, axle bolt 1st, the bounce the suspension, then the pinch bolts. If done on the wrong order, this could cause the shake at speed!

Life is good!
Yep your right on. I started at max pressure and I'm working my way down. I'm at 25psi now. I redid my axle, with a bounce. I didn't have the torque wrench out and snapped the stud on the pinch bolts. The nut on the stud had marred from just using a wrench on it. I replaced the top two studs with bolts and lock washers. This is the third time I have broke a bolt on the bike. Probably my fault every time. Fortunately I work at a shop so I just add stronger stuff. The death wobble went from 55 to about 62 which is where it was before. I don't know if it is from tire pressure or minor adjustment to axle, but all is well.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
'03 CRF230F question

Hi, I'm still a little new to these forums, but found this thread and found some extremely useful info. I just recently purchased a Plated '03 crf230f and am interested in knowing if some crf230L aftermarket parts will fit on my ride. Mainly looking into storage space borrego rack/denali luggage package for the rear fender. I have the Baja Design light kit installed. Any first hand info, thoughts, concerns are appreciated thanks.
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote