User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
futuretrash OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
KLX250 vs. WR250R vs. DRZ400

I know this has been discussed but I want to try and request responses on a particular aspect of this bike choice.

I'm about 5'10 / 200lbs. I've been reading through the DRZ400 threads ritually, and had my heart set on this bike. I'm just looking for one used now. My intention is NOT to ride on the highway, nor is it to do a lot of road riding. I'll be trailering this bike and driving it to wherever I'm riding (I live in Staten Island, NYC).

The riding I'm looking for is as much trail and dirt and I can get to, but since that is lessening every year in availability I know there will be some roads to and twisties to hit. That's fine, but I want to void road with multiple lanes and large trucks.

Partly this is because I'm a dad and I want to be sure I don't offer myself up to circumstances that could be overly dangerous for me, and in addition to this (and you may know him or know of this story) but my cousin was recently killed in California in a highway accident. He clipped his footpeg while lane splitting and was thrown under the wheels of a large auto carrier.

My wife is concerned about my highway, main road riding and this is making me possibly second guess my DRZ decision.

So here's my question, would a KLX250 or a WR250R be a better overall trail dirt ride over the DRZ? I'm just in love with the reliability and simplicity of the DRZ, but if I'm not going to be needing it for a lot of ropad riding, would the KLX250 or WR250R be a better bike for me? They're lighter, easier to pick up and not necessarily as road worthy...

Or, is my weight going to make that KLX250 a little boring and sluggish in hills and mud?

The WR sounds like an amazing ride but I'm concerned with trail-maintaining a fuel injected bike. Is this an issue I shouldn't be concerned with?

Help me with some insight on a bike that will be safe to ride and not required for highway and freeway use. I know the DRZ doesn't have a 6th gear but it's still a bike people choose because of it's road worthiness. I'm starting to wonder whether my sights need to be pulled back and possibly opened up to reconsider the KLX or WR.

Opinions? People who've made the same decisions before?
futuretrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 644
I just bought a '05 DRZ and love it. I was lucky enough to ride a KLX the week before, it was wimpy and I wouldn't have been satisfied with it. It WAS jetted and piped. I'm roughly your size minus 25lbs.

On the other hand the WRF is interesting, I wouldn't worry about the FI. Oh boy if the DRZ had FI and 6th gear .

Good luck, happy hunting
Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,779
Just being curious here. If you want to do as little pavement as possible, why are you considering bikes that offer considerably less off-roadiness (and more on-roadiness) than some others?

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,703
The WR250R is just as fast as the DRZ as long as you wind it out, and it will also be more road worthy, more trail worthy, and require less maintenance than the DRZ.

The KLX is down quite a bit on power compared to either of the other two bikes.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,721
Of those three, if price isn't a big issue I would go with the WR250R. And I owned a DR-Z400S for 5 years and currently have a KLX250S.

However, as VBS said - why aren't you looking at a Husky TE250/310/450/510 or a KTM 450 or 530? All factory street legal and will blow away your mentioned choices off road.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
The WR250R is just as fast as the DRZ as long as you wind it out, and it will also be more road worthy, more trail worthy, and require less maintenance than the DRZ.

The KLX is down quite a bit on power compared to either of the other two bikes.
Last I looked the DRZ would rev to 10,500 RPMs. I think it will out run the WR250. The Yamaha has a better tranny though - wide range six speed.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Last I looked the DRZ would rev to 10,500 RPMs. I think it will out run the WR250. The Yamaha has a better tranny though - wide range six speed.
More dependent on the gearing then anything else. The way my DRZ is currently geared no way would it out run a WR 250 with stock gearing.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
The WR250R is just as fast as the DRZ as long as you wind it out.
Simply not true. The hp figures are something like 25 RWHP vs. 35 RWHP (or 37 once you do the simple 3x3 mod) and while the WR-R is slightly lighter, its not that significant. I like the WR-R a lot (I jut recommended it over the DRZ in my last post), but let's keep it fair.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

You jump on a DRZ and I'll get on my WRR and we'll go for a ride in the woods. If you can leave me in the dust, I'll revoke my answer.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,394
I think any advantage the 250's offer on the trails would be thin...while the 400 will be tons more comfortable on the roads. If you are going to be doing much of the latter, an important point. DRZ is also a tough, dependable motor and easy to maintain.

All good bikes ultimately...just a matter of the best fit I expect.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
I think any advantage the 250's offer on the trails would be thin...while the 400 will be tons more comfortable on the roads.
400 more comfortable on the road? Really? Go ride them both on the road, then get back to me. The WRR has a much better seat and fewer vibrations by far than the 400. No vibrations and a comfy seat = more comfortable on the road . . . but again . . . that's just me.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
I think any advantage the 250's offer on the trails would be thin...while the 400 will be tons more comfortable on the roads. If you are going to be doing much of the latter, an important point. DRZ is also a tough, dependable motor and easy to maintain.

All good bikes ultimately...just a matter of the best fit I expect.
The advantage of the 2 250's on the trails compared to the DRZ is they both have much better suspension. The DRZ wouldn't be any more comfortable the teh 250's either. That's pure nonsense. As for tough and dependable, the WR motor has a lot less maintenance and it 's a tried and proven mill. Yamaha's don't tend to eat their cam chains like Zuks do.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
The advantage of the 2 250's on the trails compared to the DRZ is they both have much better suspension. The DRZ wouldn't be any more comfortable the teh 250's either. That's pure nonsense. As for tough and dependable, the WR motor has a lot less maintenance and it 's a tried and proven mill. Yamaha's don't tend to eat their cam chains like Zuks do.
Speaking of which . . . we just finished our winter dual sport a few weeks ago. 11 bikes started. 10 finished. One of the DRZ's in the pack blew his motor. The WRR finished with flying colors . . . and was the only one capable of powering full heated gear with its 350watt alternator
Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
I ran a DRZ for close to 13,000 miles - no issues. Check the valves every 6000 miles - less than an hour job - really not a big deal.

Cam chain problems are dealt with by a cheap manual tensioner.

25 hp on the Yamaha is really marginal for road work.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
I ran a DRZ for close to 13,000 miles - no issues. Check the valves every 6000 miles - less than an hour job - really not a big deal.

Cam chain problems are dealt with by a cheap manual tensioner.

25 hp on the Yamaha is really marginal for road work.
13,000 miles is almost half way to the first valve inspection on a WRR.