Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Video game addicts...

I've got a wad of birthday cash burning a hole in my pocket.

I've decided I'm going to burn it on a new XBOX game.

Off the top of my head I'm interested in Fallout 3 and GTA 4, but there's others that catch my fancy occasionally too. Help me decide. I'm kind of in the mood to add another shooter but with more depth than L4D and more gritty and less spacy than Mass Effect.

My current library consists of.

Ace Combat 6
Forza 2
Left 4 Dead
Project Gotham Racing 3
Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Saints Row
Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix (wife's I swear)
Lost: Via Domus (also my wife's)

...There's a couple of others in there too I can't think of, but you get the idea.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 25,970
Fallout 3 grabbed me and didn't let go. I hope you have a lot of spare time if you go that route the hours just seemed to evaporate when I was playing it.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
Fallout 3 grabbed me and didn't let go. I hope you have a lot of spare time if you go that route the hours just seemed to evaporate when I was playing it.
+1 on this.

The area you walk in is simply gigantic. Tends to be a bit of a mood downer sometimes, but postnuclear war worlds probably have to look a bit depressive.
ThePikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman
+1 on this.

The area you walk in is simply gigantic. Tends to be a bit of a mood downer sometimes, but postnuclear war worlds probably have to look a bit depressive.

I need to rent it. I was told it was like Oblivion, which I felt was large- but boring large. As in "let's walk through this forest for no reason other than the world is large." Is this a valid assessment?

BTW- I've been hitting up Gamestop for a host of used games- I'm much more forgiving anymore when they cost me $20 - $30 rather than $60.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
I need to rent it. I was told it was like Oblivion, which I felt was large- but boring large. As in "let's walk through this forest for no reason other than the world is large." Is this a valid assessment?

BTW- I've been hitting up Gamestop for a host of used games- I'm much more forgiving anymore when they cost me $20 - $30 rather than $60.
I've never played Oblivion but Fallout 3 has that "I wonder what's over that hill?" thing going for it. There is a ton of stuff to check out.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
I've never played Oblivion but Fallout 3 has that "I wonder what's over that hill?" thing going for it. There is a ton of stuff to check out.
This is one of those things I like.

I'm sure it's boringly big sometimes, but I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl when it came out and I loved the open world (even though it was divided into sections) and how you could approach any base or camp an infinite number of ways or just happen to stumble upon special guns or whatever in some random corner of a map. Also, this game was fantastic at creating a creepy atmosphere in the underground bases, etc.

Infact, even with it's mediocre graphics for when it came out. I really liked that game and I'm sort of looking for a modern replacement for it. I know they made a sequel, but it looks like they really didn't change anything from the first time.

EvilGenius screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 02:53 PM
Old 02-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
COD World at War.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Charla
Tamalamian

Ben is pretty picky about the games he will play. He liked Fallout 3 as much as I did, but he's not so hot on the full on shooter games like Halo.

I picked up a used copy of Mass Effect and he's enjoying that but it's a little sterile. He likes the combo Role Play & Shooter style but prefers killing aliens and mutants rather than humans, unless they're really evil humans.

Anyone have any suggestions for other titles he might like?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Resident Evil 5?
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
I gad GTA IV on order. 20 minutes later, I loaned it to a friend.

Free advice: pick up a used copy of Gears of War. I grew addicted to the online, playing two or three hours a night. Had 64 people on my Live friends list who also were into team play- it was awesome. Stood in line for Gears 2, which isn't so awesome for online play.

People now seem to use their XBOX as a Netflix player.

I'm currently playing Dead Space, which is pretty good- very Half Life 2-esque.

I still love to get on and play Gears 1 online, though. A lot.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
I gad GTA IV on order. 20 minutes later, I loaned it to a friend.

Free advice: pick up a used copy of Gears of War. I grew addicted to the online, playing two or three hours a night. Had 64 people on my Live friends list who also were into team play- it was awesome. Stood in line for Gears 2, which isn't so awesome for online play.

People now seem to use their XBOX as a Netflix player.

I'm currently playing Dead Space, which is pretty good- very Half Life 2-esque.

I still love to get on and play Gears 1 online, though. A lot.
I had gears of war. Fantastic game, but I don't play often enough anymore (I still enjoy playing) and am too cheap of a bastard to pay for XBOX online, it was too short of a game after I played it through a couple of times. I sold it a few months ago so I could get L4D.

Dead space looks really cool though!

Quote:
I was doing that for a while about a year ago. I'd get onto amazon and spend maybe $30 on 10 games for PS2 or N64 that I could never afford when they came out.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King
Resident Evil 5?
Though I have 4. I never really caught on to the whole rsident evil thing. I'll take another look at 5 again though.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Though I have 4. I never really caught on to the whole rsident evil thing. I'll take another look at 5 again though.
RE1 was awesome. First game I'd ever come across like that. Tense, long, creepy.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
I dug Fallout because I was a way into the "Day after Disaster" sci-f books when I was a kid. So the idea of roaming the wastelands like Mad Max appeals to me. Listen for the subtleties in FA3. The supermarket is a lot of fun for that. Some of the audio reactions are a hoot.

But I did discover in GTA IV that if you do wheel spinning donuts long enough in the cars, the tires will blow up. The cars handle like shit on rims.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
I prefer gaming on a PC because you are more in control. I like having to build the machine myself to suit my tastes. And then there is the modding of games. The downside is that most games now start out as console games and then convert to PC - often to the detriment of the game.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: