User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
calloushands74 OP
calloushands

Oddometer: 100
Mexico in September - October - Looking for Riding Buddies

I want to head down through Mexico this fall. This will be the first time to Mexico on a bike. I am flexible with border crossings, routes, schedules, etc. I would love to hook up with other experienced riders.

btw, am riding a 2005 1200gs and I can handle it pretty good off road.

calloushands74 screwed with this post 03-10-2009 at 05:17 PM
calloushands74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
GEOGATOR

Oddometer: n/a
Thumbs down Mexico

Have great desire to take a trip to Mexico. My son goes on buisness a few times a month and told me if I took his mom he would personally kick my butt. Right now in Mexico the Mexican Army is losing an open war with the drug dealers. Daily beheadings that would make the Taliban seem like the girl scouts.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
yeah, i just returned from chihuahua and the bodies are all over the place. walking down the streets my boots filled with the blood of tourists, women and children. i was dodging bullets at every intersection. all commerce has stopped and the people are starving because know one can leave there homes. NONSENSE.

what business can your son be in to take him to such a place? i wouldn't want to speculate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOGATOR
Have great desire to take a trip to Mexico. My son goes on buisness a few times a month and told me if I took his mom he would personally kick my butt. Right now in Mexico the Mexican Army is losing an open war with the drug dealers. Daily beheadings that would make the Taliban seem like the girl scouts.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
GEOGATOR

Question Mexico

I assuming sarcasim is a form of humor. He works for a company that trains professional soldiers in covert ops. His last students were Canadian Army. I am glad to hear your positive review. My take was that most of the trouble was near the border or in the big cities (read tourist areas). He said that it was more wide spread than that and that's where we left it. The violence and the drug dealer's war with the Mexican Army has made national news. I don't believe everything I read or see in the media.

Again I have great desire to ride Mexico and might get a chance this summer. Did you go by yourself? Do you go often?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
i live on the arizona/sonora border. i am in agua prieta or naco very often day and night. last week i was riding casas grandes to chihuahua city and then to guachochi. guachochi is prime drug territory for the copper canyon area. no problems.

i am not saying that the statistics we are reading about are wrong. read the el paso times and the borderreporter.com and you will get a feel of what is going on in terms of violence in mexico but it is such a low stat that it really is meaningless for travelers.

don't get deterred by the press. as for your son's thoughts i think of it this way. in his business he sees and hears the worst. i was a teacher and if you listened to me you would thing that kids have never learnt to read or write.

on the steps of the chihuahua state government building they had about 15 armed soldiers protecting the building. they reminded me of teachers on recess duty, standing around talking to each other, not really standing guard. if they felt jeopardy i would think they would have been more vigilent, not to say that problems could not happen, but the odds are really in your favor.

people in mexico take care of you. they take care of me all the time. on the last trip i was hanging out with mexico's wealthy. they weren't afraid of living there lives.

average precautions keep you safe. some neighborhoods are very dangerous just like in the US. don't go there! and if you do there is a chance the locals will just want to get to know you...

if you feel safe in the US you should feel safe in mexico. you will see what i mean the moment you travel there. especially on a motorcycle!!!!!!!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/ontheborder/Pictures/chihuahua%20march%2009/el%20clan%20party%202.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
GEOGATOR

Question Mexico

Let me know how the trip goes. I am still interested in going this summer. June or July time frame. I'm looking to cross the border at McAllen, TX and stay one night in Monterey before heading toward San Luis Potosi and maybe gulf coast beaches. Is there a good motorcycle friendly place to stay in Monterey? Does anyone know of any beaches between Texas and Tampico that would be nice to visit? Blonde hair and Blue eyes with very weak spanish skills so there is no way I don't look like a tourist.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Cuxo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOGATOR
I was in Mexico in December and I didnt feel in danger or at risk at any given time. I agree that border cities such as Tijuana, Juarez and Reynosa are hot and have seen a lot more crime in recent months. Once you cross the border and get further inland crime is not nearly as bad.

In my opinion, with the exception of border towns, Mexico is safe.

Drug trafficking is a global problem and as long as demand remains high the problem will continue.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
calloushands74 OP
calloushands

Oddometer: 100
I am of course planning on avoiding the major crossings, past that I don't have much of a strategy other than reading the Central America Road Wisdom Sticky 10x over.
calloushands74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Cuxo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by calloushands74
I want to head down through Mexico this May. This will be the first time to Mexico on a bike. I am flexible with border crossings, routes, schedules, etc. I would love to hook up with other experienced riders.

btw, am riding a 2005 1200gs and I can handle it pretty good off road.
I'm riding from Toronto to Yucatan,Mexico at the beginning of June. There is also another rider from Ohio that may join.

Enjoy your trip and dont worry too much.

PM if you are interested.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
prariedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
mexico and elsewhere

Saw your thread - sounds great. I want to do the same thing. Planning on Alaska mid summer and then loking for company to head south. been there lots of times but never on a bike. My time is my own and I'm off to see as much of this country as I can while I still can. Tell me more
prariedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
GEOGATOR

Mexico in September - October - Looking for Riding Buddies

Did you go to Mexico? How was the trip?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Give me a shout if you pass through Durango. I am usually up for a few days of riding either west to the Sierra or east to Zacatecas. I know the Sierra well but the wife won't let me go there alone.

Salud

Stephen

SR screwed with this post 07-19-2009 at 09:59 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote