User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
cold_fire OP
Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer: 289
Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

I believe we're all used with being asked how fast is the bike and how many mpg does it get. But have you ever been asked something that simply blew your mind?

I'll start with mine. The advantage of riding in remote places of an almost non-biking country.

- "Sir, is that a real BMW or it's just the badge?" (people here are used with chinese replicas, therefore the question is almost a legitimate one; asked 3 times already, waiting for more)
- "Duuuuude, does your bike has two engines?!" (asked a number of times, I usually try to explain the boxer design, but if all fails I tell them the right one is the turbocharger)
- "Since when does BMW make motorcycles?" (coming from a tuned BMW 3 series owner)
- "Yeah, a BMW is a BMW!" (especially the seniors tell me this as in the communist era the guy on a BMW motorcycle was the real cream of the crop)
Old 04-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 975
"Why do you have a camera on your helmet?" from the car in the next lane at a red light.

Light turned green, so I shrugged, said, "Why not?" and left them behind. Stupid answer on my part, but the priority was the green light not a witty answer.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_fire
I believe we're all used with being asked how fast is the bike and how many mpg does it get. But have you ever been asked something that simply blew your mind?

I'll start with mine. The advantage of riding in remote places of an almost non-biking country.

- "Sir, is that a real BMW or it's just the badge?" (people here are used with chinese replicas, therefore the question is almost a legitimate one; asked 3 times already, waiting for more)
- "Duuuuude, does your bike has two engines?!" (asked a number of times, I usually try to explain the boxer design, but if all fails I tell them the right one is the turbocharger)
- "Since when does BMW make motorcycles?" (coming from a tuned BMW 3 series owner)
- "Yeah, a BMW is a BMW!" (especially the seniors tell me this as in the communist era the guy on a BMW motorcycle was the real cream of the crop)
My brother, who does own a BMW car too, will pull that line the other way - "I didn't know BMW made cars! When did they start that?"

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,119
"Hey man, you got any spare change?"

"When you gonna get a REAL bike? Haw haw haw haw." (Three guesses what sort of turdwagons these guys are riding.)

Actually, I've been asked that question a couple of different times by dudes driving a pickup with a Hardley-Ableson sticker and/or license plate on it. That's right. They're real bikers who ride REAL bikes. Except when it's below 75 degrees or above 80 degrees or raining or it looks like it might rain or there's a cloud off in the distance or their assless chaps are a little squeaky or it might get dark at night or a bug smudged the chrome last time they rode or they're hung over or there might be stinky dead animals in the road or there are other vehicles on the road.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
ROKSTAR
Whoring it up

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
I had that happen to me on the first warm day we had in Cincy.

Just leaving lunch with a buddy on my vintage bike, after a fresh detail, and this guy says "hey that's a nice bike man." I'm putting the key in the ignition and turning the choke on. "Thanks man." Then it starts...."Hey big man, you got 35 cents so I can catch a bus?" "NO!" and I sped of.

Dude was wearing a work badge for a local company....
Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,472
Stopped at a rest area in Texas, R 1150GS Adventure with all three factory aluminum cases and dribags strapped across the seat. Guy comes up to me and says "Nice bike" Then looking at my TKC 80's said "I didn't know they made motocross bikes that big"
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #7
jonesy54
the road less traveled

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP
Stopped at a rest area in Texas, R 1150GS Adventure with all three factory aluminum cases and dribags strapped across the seat. Guy comes up to me and says "Nice bike" Then looking at my TKC 80's said "I didn't know they made motocross bikes that big"
shoulda told they guy "They dont, I had this one custom-made"

one 1989 Transalp (some assembly required)
& an armada of old Jet Skis
jonesy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:

"When you gonna get a REAL bike? Haw haw haw haw." (Three guesses what sort of turdwagons these guys are riding.)

Actually, I've been asked that question a couple of different times by dudes driving a pickup with a Hardley-Ableson sticker and/or license plate on it. That's right. They're real bikers who ride REAL bikes. Except when it's below 75 degrees or above 80 degrees or raining or it looks like it might rain or there's a cloud off in the distance or their assless chaps are a little squeaky or it might get dark at night or a bug smudged the chrome last time they rode or they're hung over or there might be stinky dead animals in the road or there are other vehicles on the road.
I've got the flip side of that one. I have an older H-D, and also a dual-sport bike (KTM 950A). Once on a trip riding the H-D I was totally ATGATT including a hi-viz Darien. I had stopped at a gas-station/convenience store for fuel and also to take a pit-stop and get a snack. While waiting to pay for my goodies a couple of obvious BMW commandos came into the station, decked out to the hilt in the latest in Beemer fashion. One of them noticed me and walked over and said "Hey, how's it goin', what are you riding?" I responded "Just the old Harley out there....." at which point he looked stunned, and said "Oh, you looked like a BMW rider!", then turned to walk away. I said "No, I'm not....." I didn't add the "asshat!" that was wanting to bubble forth. But I will say that asshats don't just ride Harleys.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
AaronsKassy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
True...

Quote:

Had a chat with my boyfriend just the other day because I was riding my 1984 Honda Goldwing around town and my friends uncle (who's bike "guess the brand" hardly ever leaves his house) saw me...he was in his truck of course. Well a few days after he saw me riding he was at my friends house and he straight up asks me when I am going to buy a real bike! First I have to say that I didn't think it would offend me, and it did lol...I actually started getting defensive over my big old "goldie." And second, I never thought I would hear it really. I mean I had heard that it happens and that sometimes people will knock your bike if it's not (insert brand here) but really didn't think I'd hear it. I actually had to laugh. I can't remember exactly what I said back but I remember discussing with him how my wing takes me nice comfy long distances without any pain or problems and that I am even selling my 2007 custom midnight edition vstar to purchase the wing officially from my boyfriend since I love it so much. I don't care what you ride or when you ride, just ride...right?
AaronsKassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronsKassy
I love it so much. I don't care what you ride or when you ride, just ride...right?

You got it!
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Sultans Tornado
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Went to Cabella's in Hamburg, Pa. yesterday and as I was pulling on my helmet a man walking by and asks are you wearing a helmet? You know in Pa you don't have to wear one. You must be from Jersey. I responded that no I was not wearing a helmet but was encasing my head to protect me from the covert microwaves that the goverment is sending out to control all of us and that if he lived in Jersey he would know this. The look on the Dude's face was priceless. Needless to say our conversation ended at this point. May be it was a sign!!!
Sultans Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,608
Quote:
I love it so much. I don't care what you ride or when you ride, just ride...right?
Welcome to the Asylum
Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
AaronsKassy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Welcome to the Asylum
Thank you :)
AaronsKassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,982
I was riding an SS1k this past Saturday. I stopped for gas in Maine with about 650 down. While in the rest stop taking a piss, at the pisser next to me (of all freaking places) the guy said "how much further do you have to go today?"

I replied "Rhode Island, Connecticut and back up to Mass."

He said "Not all today?????"

"Yup, all today" I said as I flushed and walked out.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
I am even selling my 2007 custom midnight edition vstar to purchase the wing officially from my boyfriend since I love it so much. I don't care what you ride or when you ride, just ride...right?
If that is you in your avatar.....and you were my girlfriend......I would give you my 25 year old Goldwing......perhaps even buy you a new one.

No offense to the boyfriend if you are big, mean, unstable, Chuck Norris, a member of the NRA, a Marine....or a combination of any of those.

If not................Hi Kassy........How you doin?