User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
taco250 OP
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Day trip to Paisley OR

12 of the BendDualsport crew decided to do a ride to Paisley OR. Half would spend the night, the other will day trip it. We all met at the south Shari's restaurant at 8am.

We took Ford Rd out through the BLM to forest road 23, then down 23 to the Green Mt lookout to see the view.

We then motored into Christmas Valley OR to get gas.

From CV, we took the famous FANDANGO CANYON RD south towards Paisley. If you like mile after mile of sagebrush, no trees, and a cattle guard jump that will kill you if you're not ready for it, this is the "road" for you. Somwhere along Fandango:

After a lost brake caliper bolt from my bike and a flat on Jimzuma's Husky, we rolled into Paisley about 3pm.

Three of us daytrippers (me, Jimzuma and Aaron) decided to head back while the others got a late lunch at the cafe. I ended up slabbing all the way home to Redmond OR (about 150 miles on a KLX400 stock seat!). My mileage for the day was 314.4 in 11 hours.
Thanks for reading!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
I'm in.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,676
Looks like a good day with friends having fun on 2 wheels!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
taco250 OP
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Looks like a good day with friends having fun on 2 wheels!
Yes indeed! We only had two mechanicals the whole trip: I lost the lower bolt that holds the front caliper to the fork and Jimzuma got a front flat. Jim had a spare bolt that worked for my brake and later I gave him a front tube to fix his flat. Jim had one of those mini 12v air pumps that worked really well for airing the tire.

www.benddualsport.com

Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Can't believe nobody has started this yet. Guess I will.
Taco--thanks for starting the ride report and it was GREAT that you came to ride with us and AWESOME that you went with us all the way to Paisley!

The day started out cold, were were wearing cold wather gear and baklavas for about 2 hours!

Taco left out the pictures of the Red Head in Christmas Valley--I guess he's keeping the ADV Rider report scrubbed for the family edition. Regarding the photo below: This is all I have to say--Jim, where exactly is your right hand?

Quote:
Anyway, as ususal, I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures, but I'll write a little.

So...we leave CV and hit Fandango, electing to take the lower route to the east, bypassing Aaron's favorite route from last year, rocky Upper Fandango Road on the west. We ride throught the northern most portion, which is slightly rocky and somewhat twisty, where speeds are about 30-40 m.p.h. There are some free range cattle that run across the road between the riders.

We stop and regroup at the intersection where we usually head to the south and east toward Lake Albert, and get word that Taco has lost a brake caliper bolt, but that repairs are underway. Stroup jokes that he was picking up my bones from the crash I had there last year on the way to Cedarville. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=cedarville

At the intersection, Greg has a 13 mile alternative route that will loop back into Fandango. We decide to take the new route, only to be befuddled by the map, three different GPSs and the time. We'd explore with more time and a smaller group, so we decide to turn around and go the original route.
Now the fun begins! Greg takes off with Stroup second, and me in tow. The terrain is opening up to one of the best routes in all of Central Oregon. Speeds are picking up, there is little dust, and I see Greg along side the trail, giving me the go ahead sign, and I give chase to Stroup.

It is getting more and more open, just a few rocks in the road, mostly sandy two track. I can see Stroup ahead maybe a half mile ahead, and I wick it up. I am NOT gaining any ground. I glance at the GPS--74.7 m.p.h., and I'll bet Stroup is going faster than that. Riding simply doesn't get any better.

After 10 miles or so of this, we end up at our intersection where we agree that we'd just like to keep riding south (for days), but not today. Everyone arrived and Jimbo (KMA/Jimzuma) has a flat front tire on the mighty 610 Husky...

www.BendDualSport.com

"Look...My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times.

"Does anyone know where there is a taco stand? A beer and a taco stand, that's what I need." Mouse McCoy, Dust to Glory.
AHRMA17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
taco250 OP
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHRMA17L
Taco--thanks for starting the ride report and it was GREAT that you came to ride with us and AWESOME that you went with us all the way to Paisley!

The day started out cold, were were wearing cold wather gear and baklavas for about 2 hours!

Taco left out the pictures of the Red Head in Christmas Valley--I guess he's keeping the ADV Rider report scrubbed for the family edition.
FYI Jon, my report on BDS was edited by KMA (Jim) to include his pics and give me the credit... or the blame about the redhead.

I am glad I went to Paisley. Wish I were able to keep up better but my experience is too low and my fear factor too high to go as fast as you and Stroup. BTW, just got off the phone with Greg and he was telling me how bad he wants your 600 so be warned! I predict he'll be selling his DRZ sooner than later. The deciding factor was not being able to keep up with you on China Hat!

www.benddualsport.com