Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,595
Laugh Tiger 900 project

G'day blokes,

Just here to whet your appetite. LeighSA and I are at his place in (at last!) damp South Oz. We've spent the last couple of days pondering lengths and lines and dimensions.

The good news is that the new all road outfit for my faithful old 900 is more than just thoughts . Leigh bought some cheap tube that we've cut and bent and welded and broken off and re-cut and re-welded etc.

Now we have a mock up of the chassis and body, plus some definite plans relating to fuel and luggage capacities.

The body will be 'unique', except there will be two. Only. Front body work styled along the lines of the Tiger fairing. It will be dkfferent.

It aint going to be quick. I'm expecting a build over the next few months, maybe longer.

But it will be extra speccie when it's finished.

But, guess what? There are NO PHOTOS. yep, there are now.

Actually, there are but they are in my camera and I don't have the cable to down load them.

I was just a bit impatient to start a thread. And Leigh has just (belatedly) got himself onto the asylum.

Watch this space.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/

tripodtiger screwed with this post 05-09-2009 at 03:58 PM
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,444
Looking forward to it Ray..
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,904
Nice teaser Ray.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
How long are you going to be in Adelaide??
I am coming up end next week, beak time??
Old 05-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

I've left the Trumpy & the bits with LeighSA for his attention over the next little while. He's got a few jobs to do, so I'll just be patient.

I suppose it's not like I've got nothing to ride. If it was urgent, I'd have done the simple job of buying a Ural and then just joined the crowds that you see everyday

I do, however, have a few photos of what's been done so far.

It's all just mock / design at this stage. The chassis is just out of cheap tube so we could bend / cut / weld / cut / re-bend / re-weld until we got a nice shape for a nose cone mold and the basic dimensions of the chassis & suspension. It'll give you an idea of where we are headed.

Starting with the Tig, a tube and a wheel in approximate position.

Leigh tacked up the basic chassis. The inner chassis is a twin beam ladder. There will be 6 attachment bars - 2 from the lower motorcycle sub-chassis mounts & 1 from each of the upper motorcycle mounts.

The lower mounts of the sub-chassis are to be re-positioned to be co-linear. Lean out adjustment will be simplified.

Simple swing arm suspension arrangement. Loop over the top of a spring/damper unit.

Tube mock up for the nose cone mold. The shape will replicate the upper portion of the Tiger's fairing.

It may get a couple of Hella 140's, that I've got at home, mounted at the front. Time will tell. I don't actually do much night riding any longer. I used to ride at night all the time. We talked about having headlights painted on the front - like drag bikes. No firm decision, plenty of time.

Front chassis tube to curve around to the leading edge of the tyre. There will be a step.

No, there is no intention of driving the sidecar wheel by chain outside of the sidecar It's just a DR650 wheel. The rear wheel will be the rear rim from the Tiger, on a fabricated hub.

The outer valance of the mudguard will be much trimmed down.

Loop to support the high level seat. Grab rails to be positioned - over the wheel, across the front. There will also be a low level seat for those unavoidable highway miles.

An aux fuel tank & aluminium boxes into the rear, under the seat. We talked forages about whether to fit a tank or just use gerry cans. Lots of to & fro. I'm now convinced that a tank has more definite positives than potential negatives but it's not going to be a petrol tanker by any stretch.

That's almost where I left it. We pulled the engine out and it will be refreshed. The absolute bug-bear of T300 triumphs is the air cleaner. Having been stopped a couple of times due to dust build-up, the airbox is to be modified to allow a pull-out filter. I'm hopeful that the 6 hour job will be reduced to 10 minutes.

Another design issue is access to the countershaft sprocket. The cover design incorporates the dipstick and the clutch hydraulics plus, you have to remove the footpeg / gear change assembly. Leigh is going to investigate the possibility of separating the three functions so that the countershaft sprocket can be easily accessed and maintained. The crap that builds up in there must do horrible things to the life of the chain / sprockets but one just can't get access to it to clean in there. I s'pose that's the compromise made in designing a bike in modular construction - it was never intended to be a 'dirt' bike.

That's it for a while. I'll sit at home and Leigh will getaroundtuit, as and when he does. As they say in the classics 'It may not happen overnight, but it will happen'.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,124
Love the layout so far.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Pull the engine

Sell it for some extra coin (you'll need it for the next step)

Replace engine with a 900+cc Turbo Diesel either Lombardini or Dihatsu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRC7H8PMaGQ

Would be excellent power for a hack
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo
Pull the engine

Sell it for some extra coin (you'll need it for the next step)

Replace engine with a 900+cc Turbo Diesel either Lombardini or Dihatsu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRC7H8PMaGQ

Would be excellent power for a hack
Yeah, seen that video. Funny thing is it still sounds a lot like a 850cc, carburettor'd Triumph triple.

And it would be excellent power for an outfit. If the Tiger was never going to be sufficient, it would be a Suzuki 1200 or 1400. But the old girl has adequate power and this sidecar will be much lighter than the earlier one. I may have to ballast it more often than not.