User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
wolvertone OP
Save a mile-Kill a metre!

Oddometer: 171
Louisiana to Colorado - a 9 day trip

Let me start off by saying I've been reading trip reports for a couple of years and I've gone on trips and haven't posted an RR. This will be my first. I've decided to share my personal experiences as well, as I enjoy reading the RR's that have the same content. If this makes you squeamish, then skip those parts.

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1990 BMW K100LT (parting out)
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
wolvertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
wolvertone OP

Tuesday, June 16. Three days to departure...

In three days I'll be leaving for a 9 day trip I've been anticipating for 9 months. It was conceived and now coming to birth.

And I don't want to go.

This week I've crossed the line in a personal way and the thought of leaving my life in a mess only to come back to who knows what, is scary.

We will be traveling approx. 3500 miles, round trip. Maybe in that time I'll discover myself and what makes me the way I am. Maybe. When I come full circle and arrive home again, will it serve as a metaphor for my life in general? Making big mistakes in life and hurting those around me only to do it again seems to be my lot in life.

I don't want to go, and I don't want to stay. I'm hoping by going in a counter clockwise direction, things done back home will be undone. I know they won't.

Why do we take these journeys? What are we looking for? If we knew, would we find it? Is it out there?

I'm going. My riding buddy is expecting me to. I've made commitments. I will go.

Trip planner next post....

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
wolvertone OP

The trip.

The journey starts in Baton Rouge run the super slab up to Dallas, TX and then take a US HWY into Colorado. We will be staying west of I-25 and south of I-70. Attempting to see as much as we can in the 5 days we have to play around there.

1200 miles in 2 days to get there, 1000 miles in 5 days of exploration, and another 1200 miles in two days to get home.

In all my similar trips, I've told myself "next time, write a journal. Stop and take more pictures". This time I will.

This will be my first journal of ANYTHING I've done in my 39 years of living. This in itself is huge. I'm hoping the memories contained will help me when I come back to my life that has been out on hold.

Guys, I realize this is not a 10 year epic journey to visit every country on the globe, and I'm not doing it on a bicycle, but at 39, a full time job, three small kids and a relationship that is on-off-on again, this is a long time for me to be gone.

Next post... Hardware....

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 06-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
wolvertone OP

Bike

I'm riding a 1990 BMW K100LT with 80,000 miles. I've slightly modded it for comfort. These bikes are notorious for blowing hot air on the driver all day.

I removed all the fairings and it's made a world of difference. Twin headlights from a Yamaha sport bike, plexifairing, $15.00 wal-mart driving lights and a rear topcase from a 1984 Goldwing.

My final drive was pretty knackered, so I found a used one complete with drive shaft from a K75 for $200 shipped. BMW wants $1500 for the final drive alone, so I got a great deal. The bike accelerates much quicker now as it has different gearing. My revs are a little higher at speed, but still plenty of power and you can't beat the price.

New tires, and changed all fluids. I'm set to go - mechanically.

Trying to bring everything is tough. Swap a pair of jeans for an extra lens? Pants liner sacrificed for jacket liner? You get the idea. OK. I'm packed. 1 more day....

Photobucket

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Thermophilic
It's all in my mind.

Oddometer: 62
Curve balls.

Somebody said the things we regret most are things we do in the so called "gray areas of life" in the name of personal freedom. It's never better on the other side of the fence and when the grass looks greener, we jump over to touch it, only to find that it's astro turf. Damn. It wasn't real anyway. No matter. Decompression is good. This trip will do it. Advance with confidence in the direction of your choice as long as it brings you back to the life you started from scratch. Withdrawal into that great ocean of solitude and hope that only finest sediments be deposited around you for a while. Hit the reset button for a minute and then step up to the plate.

I'll go on this ride with ya.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Ensey
KLR Combat Touring

Oddometer: 727
Let's go.......what is your route to Colorado?
Ensey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
wolvertone OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensey
Let's go.......what is your route to Colorado?
Baton Rouge to Dallas via interstate
Dallas to Amarillo via US287
Amarillo to Raton, NM via US 87
Then up I-25 a little bit and start heading west...

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I'm not sure if you've already completed the trip or if this is in real time - if the latter, I've done that exact Dallas-Denver route (and most of it several times. Let me know if you've got questions. I didn't stop and take pictures very much (yeah I know, but I was usually doing a lot of miles/day) but wrote up a ride report anyway. The whole ride/series of rides ended up around 9k miles. Link in sig, pm me if you want any of the gps files.

The westerly route into CO that you've chosen is a good choice btw

If it were me I'd loose the windscreen too for more airflow and less turbulence, but that's just my preference. You also won't be needing the extra fuel. I don't think you'll manage to go more than 150 miles between gas stations (and even that is difficult to do, 60-80 miles is more typical). It can be nice to have an emergency supply in case you find a stranded biker on the side of the road or really miss-plan your fuel stops, but for me its not worth the weight or bulk of the can in most cases.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
wolvertone OP

This Trip is beingg posted in real time. No wi fi here so a quick note from iPhone. Used emergency gas can twice yeasterday. Couple of stretches we thought we could make. And the gas can is also powering the stove I brought

965 miles so far and outside this mowing is a cloudless sky. I'll post a real update when I can get a connection.

See you out there.

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
wolvertone OP

6-19-09

Took US190 to Opelousas and then I-49 up to Alexandria. Stopped in Eddies BBQ. for a 1/2 chicken plate. Good food.

Get back on I-49 and up to Shreveport. Stop in Starbucks for a Green Tea Frappuccino. Yep. Call our friends Allan and Sandra who are west of Shreveport in Hawkins, TX. They have been gracious enough to put y\us up for the night.

The heat has beem dreadful. It's like driving with a hairdryer set on high about 2 inches from your face. Been using spf 30 to keep the burn away...

Bike is running great. You just can't kill these old "K" bikes. They are known as the flying bricks. Indeed.

384 miles later from home, at 10:30 we arrive at Allan and Sandras.

Allan was actually going to go with us, but he and his wife had a horrific bike wreck a couple of months ago. It's a miracle theyt are alive, nevermind a 3500 miles trip. His wife gave him the go-ahead, but he decided to stay home so she wouldn't worry.

We are tired, but feel good. Like after exercising. Tired, but accomplishing something.

Ben Fold has kept my mind alert for most of the way, with his lyrics making me reflect on my own life.

Allan, me and Sandra

In the morning, Allan took us to the next town called Mineola. We had breakfast at "Kitchens Restaraunt". Dang, those were the best poached eggs I ever had.

I ordered "The Steve" 3 poached eggs, dry wheat toast , sliced tomatoes and mustard. Love it.
Allan picked up the tab. Thanks Allan. You are an awesome dude.

Took US 380 to Decatur, TX then hopped on US287. Stopped in Bowie, TX for lunch at the Armadillo Cafe. Good food, good service.

After finishing my entire Ben Folds discography, Breaking Benjamin supplied the background music. The scenery isn't awesome, but probably because I've seen it before. Anybody no from the south might find it interesting.

About 250 more miles to Amarillo.

Battery is almost dead, so will sign off for now, here's a pic of me using emergency gas north of Amarillo.

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 06-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 602
Man, good luck with it all

do I see you're carrying an extra oil filter?

I will chime in--you are bringing a lot of stuff. Don't be afraid to ship extra stuff home via UPS.. Your handling will improve.
And a rule for traveling out west: Fill up when you see gas. It may be 150 miles to the next station.

JOhn
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Good luck on your journey...

You will enjoy your time here in the Rockies. There are no bad views in Southwest Colorado, and it looks like at lot of our unusually wet weather will have moved off by the time you get up here. One suggestion...you are sure carrying a lot of stuff for your trip. There is plenty of everything up here supply-wise and gas is readily available. I have discovered after many years of motorcycle travels that less is better.

Ride safe and enjoy the scenery.

TaZ9

www.adventuremoto.us
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
wolvertone OP

Yep, she's loaded down. If I could've packed smaller, I would.

Sleeping bag, tent, tripod, camera gear, couple changes of clothes, 1 gallon gas can that double as emergency fuel and cooking fuel, cold weather gear, warm weather gear, basic tools, water and some coffee singles and sweetener. I'm even wearing hiking boots to double as walking shoes and bike boots.

That's it. Really, if I had a proper tent and micro sleeping bag and not the target special, it'd look like a lot less. I really don't know how you guys pack so small.

Hotels and restaurants would lighten the load. When you realize I have all my meals for the 5 day on CO, it's not that bad. I'm kinda coming complete except for gas and water. Doing it on the cheap.

The more of these trips I take, the better I'll be able to pack and get smaller gear as I go...

Off to bed. gotta work tomorrow and get going late afternoon. I'll be posting on the road as internet connectivity dictates. Probably every couple of days...

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Looks like you're headed RTW, sure you don't have a 'Hungry Heart"
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
gambler
n00b

Oddometer: 9
i know what you are feeling about the leaving part. I felt the same way when I did the Colorado ride. I got over it just a few miles into the trip. I just thought about all the new things I would see and the new adventures I would have. I noticed a drop in mileage on my bike due to all the extra weight. I expect you will too. I learned that sometimes gas stations were rather scarce in certain areas and to keep my tank full. Good luck in your journey. I believe the only trip you regret is the one you didn't take.
gambler is offline   Reply With Quote