User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
plumber mike OP
Born again

Oddometer: 2,246
XR200R Thread

I'm unable to locate a thread that fits the XR200R. I just bought it a few days ago, plated it and have laid down a few hundred miles on it. It's a 1986 model that I bought off the original owner. He said it got more scratches sitting in a shed than it ever did riding. I'll be a day or two behind on pictures due to a failed camera.

Questions/Problems...

1.It only runs out full throttle with the choke lever in the half up position. I'm guessing the carb needs a rebuild due to a plugged jet. The PO had the carb cleaned at the dealer and added Stabil last year(which was the last time it ran)

2.The rear wheel has a slight wobble at speed which I'm thinking is the bearings.Has anyone replaced these bearings? Are there any special tools required?

3.There is no brake light. I'm told it's a 12 volt bike, but I don't know if the stock electrics can handle another light. I don't want to spend the cash on a "kit"

4. Does anyone know where all the good farkles can be had. I would love a rack on the back to hold a milk crate for bringing home the "milk" and may just have to build one.

So does anyone else have/ride one of these bitchin' dirt scooters?
Please post up
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
1.It only runs out full throttle with the choke lever in the half up position. I'm guessing the carb needs a rebuild due to a plugged jet. The PO had the carb cleaned at the dealer and added Stabil last year(which was the last time it ran)
You really need to go and clean out the inside of the carb. Because it's so small and has extra-tiny passages they clog quickly when the bike sits. Don't clean the jets, replace them. It's worth the $8.

Quote:
2.The rear wheel has a slight wobble at speed which I'm thinking is the bearings.Has anyone replaced these bearings? Are there any special tools required?
If it's the bearings, you'll be able to shake the wheel from side to side when the bike is at rest. Another thing to try is start the bike and stand next to it on the kickstand side. Shift into second and pivot the rear wheel off the ground and let the clutch out. Give it some gas. You'll notice the rear wheel shift fore and aft if the bearings are bad. You'll also be able to tell if it's the spokes/rim that's out of true.

Quote:
3.There is no brake light. I'm told it's a 12 volt bike, but I don't know if the stock electrics can handle another light. I don't want to spend the cash on a "kit"
The 1986 XR200R came with a factory headlight and tail light which is the same for all the XRs that came with lights that year. It is 12v. Look on eBay for lenses, bulbs, housings, and plastics. Cheap! The tail light is a 5w bulb, the headlight is a 35w (don't quote me on that) and the stator puts out 35w (don't quote me on that either, but it's close to that)

Quote:
4. Does anyone know where all the good farkles can be had. I would love a rack on the back to hold a milk crate for bringing home the "milk" and may just have to build one.
Check around on eBay. I'm not sure if anywhere still makes racks for it but there's some good deals floating around.

I had grand plans to build up a full-race XR200 (218) engine but came to my senses when I priced the build. I do have an ATC200X big fin barrel on mine.

Quote:
So does anyone else have/ride one of these bitchin' dirt scooters?
Please post up
A few years ago I got my wife a cherry 2002 XR200R and tossed the stock suspension for a 1990 fork and 1984 shock which is the same setup as your 1986. It was a fun little trailbike. Now I have a 1980 XR200 motor in a 1995 CR500 frame and swinger with a 1999 XR600 fork. It is yet to run and a fun project.

"O"
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,366
A hydraulic brake light switch that screws into the top of your rear master cylinder is ~$20 or less. Put a dual filament 1157 bulb (some XR's come with them already) and do a search for the third wire (how to connect, it's easy - goes to the other "foot" on the bulb base)

*edit* wait....this is an XR200, so rear drum brake... get the mechanical switch for even less
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
rear isnt hydraulic. drum brakes. Front too. You will need a pull switch with a spring. Procycle has em. HAve to have a different tailight as the stock one is a running light. Not alot of power from the stator so the lights will dim at idle.

Bearings are cheap and easy to change. Heat gun and a good beer.

I rebuilt one of these that I got in a couple of boxes. Motor and frame. I spent about $200 for piston and valves that I put in myself plus full gasket kick as the motor was toast. These guys are low compression tractor motors. Good fun. Keep an extra front brake cable zip tied to the one that is hooked up. That will get you out of the woods. Clutch cable too. Carb clean is a must. I usually just replace the pilot jet ($3) when I do one.
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiebear
rear isnt hydraulic. drum brakes. Front too. You will need a pull switch with a spring.
Exactly what I said in the post above, edited within seconds of posting a couple of hours earlier....and almost any bike shop will have them back by the $15 Acerbis mirrors and hydraulic brake light switches and dualsport stuff

Baja Designs' dualsport kits come with them as well as the hydraulic switch - so if you know someone who has installed the kit, he's probably got the mechanical switch left over.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
plumber mike OP
Born again

Oddometer: 2,246
You guys rock! Thanks for all the replies. I'll get some pics later. I wonder if I should find some low watt LED to replace the rear running light so that I might have egnough power left to run a brakelight.Two wires heading back to the running light means I could tap into the positive, run it down to a mechanical switch and then on to a LED taillight. I'll pick up jets at the Honda dealer(I hope they have them). Thanks again guys
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
G8rduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Interesting! I'll be interested to hear how your comparo goes.
G8rduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
G8rduc
Adventurer

Awesome! Put some thicker bars on there!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
bencrisp
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi guys, love seeing the rebuilds and upgrades. I am currently busy with my '83 xr200r and have run into a problem. I bought the bike as a basket case and rebuilt from ground up. Just startes putting in carb and intake yesterday only to find the intake is wrong for my bike. I have a '79 xl185s as well and the intake I believe is for that model and not my xr. After installing the carb and intake, the carb wants to occupy the same space as the rear shock.

Can I ask you guys to please post a pic of the correct intake manifold with carb on?

Need to order a new one and make sure I am getting the correct one. Sadly, I am in SA and it will be quite a wait before parts arrive.
bencrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Got it put back together with hte new rear shock, and lights!
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
slapper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
so I'll join the fray :)
picked up a 1984 XR200R last week - it had been used for mustering and was running when it was parked 5 years ago. It's a bit ragged having had a working life but the price was right - it seems to have been well used but not thrashed.

Lots of cleaning as it's covered in red dirt - some of which is proving vvvverrry difficult to shift :) Actually managed to get it started after a bit of work but it wouldn't idle without choke and blew massive clouds of oil smoke :) Pulled the carbs off only to have the intake manifold fall apart in my hands! The carbs will get a full clean and the head will have to come off so I can see what's smoking - hopefully just stuck rings, but we'll see :)

cheers
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
mxhideout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Just picked up an '02 XR200 in November and am patiently waiting for the 2014 season. Came with late 80s cr125 front end, otherwise stock. Already bought a mid 80s rear shock with remote reservoir, '85 xr250 linkage, as well as an '87 xr250 swing-arm. As for performance mods, I got a uni air filter, and the stock muffler already had the baffle removed. I plan to get a xrs only head pipe, and was considering a hotter camshaft, but I supposedly have to get new rockers to go with, which aren't cheap.

Looks a little rough, but I hope to take good care of it. I bought this to go on trail rides and riding trips in the Rockies with friends. This means I'll be adding lights and plating it if I keep the bike.

mxhideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
bent my subframe pretty bad, any tips to straighten it or just buy an donor bike with a good frame?
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #14
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
Came with late 80s cr125 front end, otherwise stock.

I bought this to go on trail rides and riding trips in the Rockies with friends.

Do you happen to know if that CR125 fork was a bolt on upgrade? or did it need custom machining work to get it to fit?

I'm thinking about picking up an XR200, my girlfriend has expressed an interest in learning to ride (going to take the MSF), and I think my bikes (XR600 & RM250) are too much bike for a noob. My only apprehension with the XR200 is that it has drum brakes, and with all the hills we have I think a disc would be much better. The soft suspension is non-factor as I imagine she'll not be going fast enough to need performance suspension for a long time.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
G8rduc
Adventurer

Where did you mount the shock reservoir?