Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Oddometer: 61
iPhone navigation on R1200GS (or any motorcycle)

I bought a motorcycle mount for my iPhone last week and it came in yesterday. I had also bought the G-maps navigation app for the phone so I could use the iPhone for my navigation, phone & iPod.

I played with the mount on the handlebars for a long time but couldn't get the angle correct so I switched to the windshield mount and it worked out really well...I think. The navigation works great on it so far.

This weekend, I plan to tap into the navigation power port on the front of the bike and put in a marine cigarette lighter outlet so I can power the iPhone while in use as well as any other toys I add later. Then it will just come down to getting a bluetooth helmet and I'll be all set.

I wanted to start this thread and document the progress as I go so anyone other iPhone user may save some time if they want to recreate what I'm doing.

Josh

Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,197
Exact name of app??? G-map east and west?

Thanks,

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
Exact name of app??? G-map east and west?

Thanks,
I bought the xroadsgps g-maps U.S. East. Don't need the west just yet but it seems to work really well so far. The good thing about the app is it downloads the maps to the iPhone so if you're out in the middle of nowhere with no service, it has everything it needs already instead of needing service like the google maps app.

Josh
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Mount

Oh...and the mount is from mount guys. It's the cheap one. I think I paid $16 on Amazon for it. It was a buck or two cheaper on Amazon rather than directly from their site. The mount is very sturdy and I'm actually not concerned about the phone falling out....unless the bike goes down but I will not worry about the phone anymore if that were to happen.

Josh
Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,860
What are you going to do when it rains?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
gregneedham
I seem to fall often

Oddometer: 854
Great thread. More detail please. Which mount did you get and as mentioned above, what are your plans for rain? Otterbox, etc?

Do you have the phone set to stay on, or stay on when it is plugged in? Have you had to use the touch screen when riding? Have you tried having music on in the background when using the navigation software?

Thanks

My 640 Adventure blog
My 1150 GS blog (retired)
Memphis to Moab - TAT 09 Blog
designkeywest.com
gregneedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris
What are you going to do when it rains?
I guess just put it in the hard bag and try to navigate using road signs. Maybe a ziplock bag over it...I really don't know.

Obviously, I haven't figured everything out yet but I'll tune it in and post it on here for anyone one else

Josh
Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Mr_Adventure
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I've been doing some research on this subject and have found on ebay a waterproof casing for the iPhone that looks respectably sturdy and comes with mounting hardware for it.

http://www.dahon.com/accessories/201...e-mount-iphone

There's also a universal 'zip up' case which doesn't appeal to me but the other looks hard shell and tight. I'm waiting for the iPhone 4 compatible version to arrive. The unit I'm thinking of has specifically designed ports for power etc.

Once I get rid of this infernal blackberry, no offense to those who love them as I too have been a fan for 6 years or so, I'll be custom fabricating a dash mount for the waterproof moto case.

The good stuff is out there! Don't use a zip-loc bag fellas!!

Mr_Adventure screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 07:01 PM
Mr_Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
antonv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Ive been using the Navigon app for a month now. I was really surprised how well it worked. I made a custom route, with about 15 points. It wasnt particularly easy making the route on the phone. This is the only downfall of the product. You cant make a route on the computer and upload it to the phone. I did read online that this IS possible, if your iPhone is jailbroken(unlocked/hacked). My warranty will be up in a few months, and I might try to unlock it.

I have the RAM handlebar mount with clip in bracket for the 3gS. There is no play at all, and the phone is extremely secure. This app will kill your battery very quickly, so having power is essential.

Mine is powered accordingly:

Battery to SAE with inline fuse
Powerlet tankbag adapter (SAE to SAE)
SAE to Dual cigarette Plug (inside tankbag)
Griffin Powerjolt Dual USB cigarette plug
Apple wire to iPhone
Other Cigarette socket powers my Valentine 1

I have the SENA SMH10 unit, and stream my music via Bluetooth from the phone as well. I mainly use internet radio, so my phone is running pretty hard. (Navigon app, streaming internet radio, & streaming bluetooth). With the new iOS, I can control my music functions from the headset. Play,pause,track forward, track reverse, volume up/down.

The route type choices (motorcyle/car , fast/sceinic, etc..) seem to give some decent options on traveling. Ive never lost GPS reception, but I wasnt too far off the beaten path.

I think for 60 bucks, its a great product, and hopefully Navigon is pro-active with their software development and will continue to release updates.