User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Thumb Sachs MadAss 125cc

Well now that they're finally here it's time to start a thread dedicated to the US-Edition 125cc Sachs MadAss.

I'm not affiliated with any dealer or shop, just an owner of a 2006 49cc MadAss who's excited that these are finally available here again after 3 years.

Today I visited Moto-scoot in Milwaukee to check out the freshly arrived 125s. Due to rainy weather I didn't get to ride one, but checked it out in detail and took photos.

There are a LOT of upgrades over my already impressively equipped 2006 49cc model (the only model and year sold in the US until now). This is by no means a complete list, but some of the changes I noticed:
- better seat (which I've already upgraded)
- new controls: look to be better weather protected, more ergonomically laid out, and all move with more satisfying actions (really wish mine had auto cancelling turn-signals like these).
- Thottle action is now very precise, with thicker cable and heavier duty elbows
- gorgeous stainless steel exhaust instead of nice carbon steel on mine
- don't have a complete list, but a bunch of the hardware is larger size/diameter. Larger front axle and bearings.
- tires are now tubeless, better spec (16" takes same tires as Ninja 250 so lots of choices)
- swept up handlbars (replaced the straight ones on my 2006, now don't have to)
- heavier chain than the 49cc
- brake pedal now uses harder (brass?) bushings in pivot, so it's tighter feeling with no slop like my 2006.
- kickstand redesigned to stay in down position better (my 2006 dumped over when the I bumped it forward about an inch..)

I can edit this list as more upgrades/changes are confirmed.
It's clear that Sachs listened to riders, and took an already very well designed bike and made it better/faster/stronger in many ways.

On to the pics, with test ride report to follow.
cheers

short video (it doesn't have to be ridden like this, part throttle riding is smooth).

NOTE: please wear a helmet. A crash at these or even much lower speeds would not be pretty.

putting together some of the very first 125cc MadAsses in the USA:

better controls, heavier duty mirrors (though I suspect there would still give a great view of my shoulders, which is why I put on convex bar-end mirrors from a mountain bike store - essential safety upgrade IMO). Adjustable clutch lever. Same massive triple clamp design. Heavier duty brake line. Smaller locking gas cap. Check out the hardware - all are zinc plated, all structural joints use allen headed capscrews:

swingarm, disc brakes, "Graphite" frame/fender color, spiffy polished aluminum ring on rims, pillion foot pegs same sturdy design as 2006, easy to adjust chain tension:

SS exhaust, shock, rear brake reservoir, seat frame, matte black frame/fender color:

same excellent welds as my 2006:

adjustable rear shock, note light metallic "Graphite" color of fender, frame:

snorkel:

Yellow w/ all black rims:

Graphite outside:

beefy chain:

rear disc brake:

Fly-by:

some other MA's at Moto-scoot:

BigMadAss 160:

trunk:

A Moto-Scoot experimental MadAss (MadAssX?)

my 2006 88cc MA:

MadDogg:

post your ride-reports, pics, info, etc here!

Nurburgringer screwed with this post 07-28-2009 at 11:32 AM
Nurburgringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,351
very cool pictorial, those madasses are starting to grow on me.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,973
Man they look cool.

I wish I had a use for one.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
rocking
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Glad you like them. As I see it they do everything a tradional 'scooter' does, with a trade off maybe of a little ride comfort (though it's by no means uncomfortable, some scooters do have lazy-boy type saddles) for sharper handling, bigger wheels and brakes, sturdier construction, and modern/industrial looks.
So if you have no 'use' for a scooter you'll have no use for a MadAss, but you can still want one :)
Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,494
I like the looks. What is the top speed?
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Oh S$#@. I just bought two Mad Ass 125's from Bill @ Moto-Scoot in Milwaukee. What was I thinking? Will I like them?

Seen one @ Road America this weekend & HAD to have one (or two).

Go ahead, chime in.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Oddometer: 141
You'll love them. If you don't something is really wrong!

The MadAss Army: www.madassarmy.com
milwaukeemadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,144
Kewl looking bike, and I was interested until I saw the weight - my Husaberg only weighs 30 more pounds. Granted, my bike costs a lot more, but I was hoping for something lightweight in the 180 pound range. There are any number of 125cc bikes out there that are 20 pounds or more lighter.

Still, kewl bike. It will be interesting to see the larger displacement bikes if they don't gain too much weight, but then for the cost of one of these I could put some SM wheels on my Husaberg.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
Kewl looking bike, and I was interested until I saw the weight - my Husaberg only weighs 30 more pounds. Granted, my bike costs a lot more, but I was hoping for something lightweight in the 180 pound range. There are any number of 125cc bikes out there that are 20 pounds or more lighter.

Still, kewl bike. It will be interesting to see the larger displacement bikes if they don't gain too much weight, but then for the cost of one of these I could put some SM wheels on my Husaberg.
you're bitching about 20lbs?! How much do you weigh? Do you shave your head and wear tighty-whities instead of boxers to shave ounces? lol

putting on a shorty pipe will lop about 10lbs off, you can remove the double seat for a carbon fiber racing bicycle saddle, spend $300 on a Takagawa magnesium engine cover, cut 2" off the handlebar ends, remove the decals, replace all hardware with titanium, drill holes in the mirror supports, and put helium in the tires if you're that extreme about weight... sheesh
Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #11
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
LOL, I like your style Nurburgringer! Well said. I honestly never even looked at the weight of the Mad Ass. Guess now I'll have a complex about it's weight.

Should have them late today. Hopefully I short ride report later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurburgringer
you're bitching about 20lbs?! How much do you weigh? Do you shave your head and wear tighty-whities instead of boxers to shave ounces? lol

putting on a shorty pipe will lop about 10lbs off, you can remove the double seat for a carbon fiber racing bicycle saddle, spend $300 on a Takagawa magnesium engine cover, cut 2" off the handlebar ends, remove the decals, replace all hardware with titanium, drill holes in the mirror supports, and put helium in the tires if you're that extreme about weight... sheesh
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurburgringer

Just saying that it isn't that much lighter. Why would I buy a bike that is only 20 to 30 pounds lighter and has less than one fourth the HP when I already have a light bike that handles much better and goes faster??

I think the MadAss is a kewl bike, but I was thinking about something really lightweight for the displacement.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Oh S$#@. I just bought two Mad Ass 125's from Bill @ Moto-Scoot in Milwaukee. What was I thinking? Will I like them?

Seen one @ Road America this weekend & HAD to have one (or two).

Go ahead, chime in.
nice - they'd make excellent transport around RA during races.

Bill's supply must be nearing bottom. I think he's expecting more in next month.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Oddometer: 141
I think you'd be better starting with the 125 because there are some differences between them. Nothing huge but still.

The MadAss Army: www.madassarmy.com
milwaukeemadass is offline   Reply With Quote