User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Harley XR1200

Can't seem to find any thoughts or reviews from ADVrider members on the XR1200, though there are plenty of HD owners among the ADVrider members. I did do a search, using multiple search key words, but came up dry on XR1200's. Anyone willing to share their thoughts on ownership of one of these?

Thanks, in advance.

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
wilshire5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443960
Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,624
http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...archid=1416050
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,524
What do you want to know?

There are a few ADV riders with the XR1200. I'm not into the habit of posting reviews on bikes, mostly because I don't think people really care about Harleys here, regardless of model. And, well, they don't want a review from some GIRL rider anyway.

I have almost 2500 miles on my bike, had it for about two months now. I take it commuting every chance I get, and I've also had it out on longer weekend rides, including one 400 mile day so far.

I'm very happy with the bike. I bought it without even test riding it, and don't regret it for a minute. It's a hoot to ride, and draws a lot of attention when it's out. Most people don't even know it's a Harley until they get up close.

Harley is one of the few manufacturers that allows test rides. Go visit your nearest dealer and take one out for a spin.
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
GS Bones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Lori,
Thanks. I consider reviews or comment from girls as valid as any... a rider is a rider, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the input. I pan on test riding one asap. I have loved my Nightster, but would like a more upright riding position. And the XR also has even more torque and power, so as a day rider, might be the ticket.

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

If you like the Nightster, you'll probably love the XR1200. I did sit on the Nightster at the dealer, and it is very appealing-- especially for me since I am short. Rare for me to find a bike that I can flat foot both sides.

In the end, though, I wanted something "different". I find I really like the naked/streetfighter look these days. The Ducati Monster (and Hypermotard) was an option, but I was scared off by the service costs and the local dealer was too far away. The Harley has just the right combination of simple lines and easy serviceability to make it the winner for me. Form and function combined into a nice package with the XR1200.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Bones
Lori,
Thanks. I consider reviews or comment from girls as valid as any... a rider is a rider, as far as I am concerned.

Bones
+1
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM

There are a few ADV riders with the XR1200. I'm not into the habit of posting reviews on bikes, mostly because I don't think people really care about Harleys here, regardless of model. And, well, they don't want a review from some GIRL rider anyway.

I have almost 2500 miles on my bike, had it for about two months now. I take it commuting every chance I get, and I've also had it out on longer weekend rides, including one 400 mile day so far.

I'm very happy with the bike. I bought it without even test riding it, and don't regret it for a minute. It's a hoot to ride, and draws a lot of attention when it's out. Most people don't even know it's a Harley until they get up close.

Harley is one of the few manufacturers that allows test rides. Go visit your nearest dealer and take one out for a spin.

Lori,
Given your and Dave's history how did you guys end up on Harley's door step?
And from what I understand that Dave also has H-D powered bike.
I've stopped by the local shop a time or two. It is very different from when they first opened up in town. Back then one couldn't even talk to the guys. The last time that I stopped by they were very friendly. But then I fit the Harley rider profile.
I really like the XR. I almost bought one way back when.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
Lori,
Given your and Dave's history how did you guys end up on Harley's door step?
And from what I understand that Dave also has H-D powered bike.
I've stopped by the local shop a time or two. It is very different from when they first opened up in town. Back then one couldn't even talk to the guys. The last time that I stopped by they were very friendly. But then I fit the Harley rider profile.
I really like the XR. I almost bought one way back when.
Long story short, Harley's have always been in our family, so to speak. My brother has a '79 Shovelhead, that Dave owned for a few years out in NY. Back in '93 Dave and I took our honeymoon in Florida, and we rented Harleys for the day. He is a tall guy, and really likes the ergos on the H-D bikes compared to the japanese bikes. Dave also had a '84 Sportster 1200 for a few years in the early 90's. We are impressed with the improvements that Buell and H-D have made with the bikes in the past few years, and the dealer network can't be beat when planning long trips out on the road. We both sold our street bikes when we left NY back in 2006, but this year the timing was right to get back on the asphalt side of riding.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM

My g/f rides a 33bhp Ninha 250. And she likes to chase R1s in the twisties
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Bones
Can't seem to find any thoughts or reviews from ADVrider members on the XR1200, though there are plenty of HD owners among the ADVrider members. I did do a search, using multiple search key words, but came up dry on XR1200's. Anyone willing to share their thoughts on ownership of one of these?

Thanks, in advance.

Bones
Just figured I'd voice my opinion. After seeing one up close, but no ride (I was just at Farrow's for Buell turn signals to put on the Zeph) here are my observations.

I really like the general thought and execution. I think both the EPA and good air flow cause some of the issues I don't care for. I think it would be nicer if that air box deal wasn't under the tank, but I'd still take it that way. I know there are flow issues to get horsepower and less intake noise.

The pipes are OK, but the high pipes I think Bub is making are way cooler. Again, I know there are EPA issues on noise and then there's that darn flow issue to get horsepower rearing up again.

The final so-so is the tail. It looks good, but a lighter tail like a real XR750 or the old XL1000CR would look way lighter and cooler.

Still, it is one Harley I really like. It has a good look for the intended influences. The turn signals on the back look great. The fact that it actually has some of the Buell horsepower is great. Then there's the fact that there is real rear wheel travel and the suspension apparently works well. It would be interesting to see an Iron set up with that suspension, horsepower, and seating for the guys that might actually like to do some road burning on a Harley. There was a guy back around the early 80s who built an old iron barrel that would smoke many of the sportbikes when the roads kept speeds under a hundred. I can't think of his name right now, but for some reason I tie him to the Harley aftermarket Thunder Heads.

This has long been lacking in what the Harley crowd and us dirt track look crowd consider a "sporting" bike. That does not mean road racer, it means a bike that can take some curves at a good rate. As for any of you sportbikers who question that "sport" tag, consider trying to compete on your sportbike in the same fashion the old AMA spec 883 competition did - you race an 883 on pavment, sure your sportbike will smoke it, but then they also put stock frame 883s on the dirt track and surprisingly they actually handled well and ran within a second or two of the top class, try that on your CBR!

So - sport it is. I like it. They did good. I've seen some of the aftermarket pipes and tail for it and it looks even better.

Would I buy one? If I had a lot of money, maybe... but I'd build a street tracker first. Still, a good buy for a Harley guy who wants to have a good back road ride.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,322
Motor company at it's finest. First Buell. Now this. Idiots.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,322
Hell. I am thinking about buying another one,
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,295
Glad I got mine. Haven't seen another one at the dealership since then.

Yesterday evening at a small local airport. Crappy cell phone pic.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,452
That Navion isn't for sale is it?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote