ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
Grand Junction area Rides & Riders thread

I thought we could use a thread to put together local rides for Adv'ers around Grand Junction, CO. I realize there have been a few Meet & Greets and a handful of local rides in the past, hopefully we can use this thread to plan future rides and hold Meet & Greets at the trailhead. I have met a handful of local riders, but haven't had a chance to get out and ride with anyone from here yet.

I'm on a DR650 that has been built up for long distance riding and I 'aint scared of a long day in the saddle. I'd like to do more overnighters, have some ideas for Moab, etc.

Feel free to check in and put together a ride! I'm tied up for the next few weekends myself, but would love to put together a ride in early October.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Here's my suggestion... 2 day ride over the 1st or 2nd weekend in Oct, I can do a combination of Friday, Sat or Sunday. Meet at Glade Park, ride into Utah and the Dolores Triangle, down Sheep Creek Rd into Gateway and take John Brown Canyon over to Moab by was of the La Sals, taking the Southern route over Geyser Pass. Camp in Moab that night and ride something the next day, TBD. Could do the White Rim, Lockhart, whatever... there's a ton of options!

Ride back home on the end of day 2 up Hwy 128 to the turnoff for the Kokopelli Trail. Ride the 1/3 of the Koko back to the Grand Valley. Or back over the La Sals to Gateway and up the Hwy to Grand Junction.

Anyone interested?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
TheMightyQuinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Greg,

This makes me wish I still lived in Junction. I might be tempted to come over from Denver for this ride though. I too ride a DR650 with large tank and comfortable seat for the long days. Let me know as it gets closer and you know the dates for sure.

John
TheMightyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ely243
Greg,

This makes me wish I still lived in Junction. I might be tempted to come over from Denver for this ride though. I too ride a DR650 with large tank and comfortable seat for the long days. Let me know as it gets closer and you know the dates for sure.

John
Sounds good John! I have a hard time planning more than 2 weeks in advance... guess it's my fear of commitment.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,602
I also would be interested in this ride. Do you ride like a fu$#@$ maniac or are you a let's ride and look at things as we go rider?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti1
I also would be interested in this ride. Do you ride like a fu$#@$ maniac or are you a let's ride and look at things as we go rider?
A DR650 with a 8 gallon tank isn't a race bike! I'm a pretty mellow rider, I like to ride at a decent pace and slow down when needed.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Q500
velvet hammer

Oddometer: 177
Its the first weekend in October in 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME
Here's my suggestion... 2 day ride over the 1st or 2nd weekend in Oct, I can do a combination of Friday, Sat or Sunday. Meet at Glade Park, ride into Utah and the Dolores Triangle, down Sheep Creek Rd into Gateway and take John Brown Canyon over to Moab by was of the La Sals, taking the Southern route over Geyser Pass. Camp in Moab that night and ride something the next day, TBD. Could do the White Rim, Lockhart, whatever... there's a ton of options!

Ride back home on the end of day 2 up Hwy 128 to the turnoff for the Kokopelli Trail. Ride the 1/3 of the Koko back to the Grand Valley. Or back over the La Sals to Gateway and up the Hwy to Grand Junction.

Anyone interested?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q500
Its the first weekend in October in 2 days.
Yeah, sorry about that, I've been working a lot... obviously no ride this weekend. I'll be working this weekend instead of preparing for a ride next weekend.

How about next weekend? Ride Saturday and Sunday, I'm probably going to stay thru Monday since I have it scheduled off.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Q500
velvet hammer

Oddometer: 177
How about to Goblin valley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME
Yeah, sorry about that, I've been working a lot... obviously no ride this weekend. I'll be working this weekend instead of preparing for a ride next weekend.

How about next weekend? Ride Saturday and Sunday, I'm probably going to stay thru Monday since I have it scheduled off.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Goblin Valley would be fun, but at this point I have a different destination in mind. I want to explore South of Moab.

Here's my plan... at this point it may change, but I hope it doesn't. Leave for Moab on Friday afternoon, by way of Gateway and the La Sals, as outlined eairlier. Stay in Moab friday night, probably at a campground for the showers, possibly a hotel if I'm feeling rich.

Saturday head to Hurrah Pass, then Elephant Hill and Beef Basin. Check out Dark Canyon and possibly Natural Bridges if time allows. Camp around Comb Wash.

Sunday explore the Moki Dugway, Comb Wash, Arch Canyon and the town of Bluff. Find a campground in Bluff or Blanding for the night.

Monday head home, would probably be lots of highway riding, perhaps ride thru the La Sals to Gateway again, then up Unaweep canyon into GJ.

I realize that is more than the 2 day ride that was first planned, but I really want to get a big ride in before it gets too cold and the time off from work just fell together for me. If anyone still wants to join me, you're more than welcome, otherwise this will be a solo trip for me!

Greg@RME screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 07:09 PM
Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

This thread is a few years old, but I figured I'd bump it back up and try find some locals to ride with this weekend.

I'd like to get out on my DR650 this weekend, just a day ride. Thinking of heading from Fruita towards Moab, using some of the Kokopelli. Probably run into Moab for fuel, then head back. Anyone interested in a ride? Saturday or Sunday, either one is fine by me. I may end up heading out solo... just want to get out and ride!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
minerbill
Emits Methane

Oddometer: 290
I was thinking of buzzing down to join the "Koko" group next Friday, just to meet and greet, then maybe ride along as far as Dewey bridge. Would head back to GJ from there.

A late spring weekend out of Rangely/ Douglas Creek area could be fun. There are a lot of morning/afternoon loops that can be done.
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
HiluxCrux
Under western skies.

Oddometer: 125
Thumb New to Fruita

So I just got my KLR running after being put up wet last winter. Not registered yet, but what they heck, we can just stick to the dirt. So anyone making the trip this weekend? I'm in for Sunday and would like to do some regular riding. Cheers.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I work this weekend, so I can't make this ride. Plus, I still have the stock tank on my DRZ, which I need to remedy soon. Seems like there are a lot of riders in the GJ area, we just don't communicate as much as the talkative bunch on the Front Range.

What happened to the idea of getting a TE?

http://winginit.smugmug.com/
Tilt2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt2turn View Post
I work this weekend, so I can't make this ride. Plus, I still have the stock tank on my DRZ, which I need to remedy soon. Seems like there are a lot of riders in the GJ area, we just don't communicate as much as the talkative bunch on the Front Range.

What happened to the idea of getting a TE?
Yep, it would be nice to have a tighter group of GJ area riders, I ride solo far too often. There is so much to see using GJ as a base camp, having locals that want to go out & ride often would be a blast!

I still love the idea of a TE610, but for now I've decided I have far too much effort and money in my DR and there's no way I can get that back out. Might as well keep riding the DR and continue tweaking it for my liking! I still dream about owning a TE610 someday...