Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 613
Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR! (Fixed! Posts 7 - 15 were missing)

Now that I've got your attention...

So, I've been reading ADVRider for a few years now... Been street riding for 15 years off and on. Finally took the plunge and bought an off road bike. Picked up a nice 2005 WR450F this past spring. Plated and everything which is great for getting out to the trails! Here is a shot shortly after I got her home:

I really really like my WR. It's a great bike for offroad riding and not too bad on the road. I picked the WR because it is relatively light, handles nicely offroad and has just enough power to pull my heavy ass around. I have done a bunch of riding around the area, but this is my first ride report! Yay! Let's get going...

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!

Brimstone screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 01:46 PM Reason: MS Word bloat...
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

So, I had been planning this big two day epic trip for the past couple of weeks. Spent hours zooming in and zooming out in Google Earth looking for pretty much an all dirt route from Kelowna through to the Kootenay's. Thanks to a couple of other ADVers in the Canada regional forum I had a bunch of GPS tracks and was getting stoked to go...

Now I thought I had discussed this solo trip with my wife. Explained that I was thinking about a very long first day ride and probably a night over then come home on Saturday in time for a prior commitment. Apparently her views on this were umm... shall we say entirely different...

Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. I had the day booked off already, she had to work and the kids already had a sitter. In the end, and after sleeping in way to late, I decided that I was going to damn well take a ride. Like many wives, my wife doesn't like the idea of me riding solo, so I told her I would check in a few times along the way. (Still looking at getting a SPOT so she can track me as I ride)

The revised plan was an afternoon trip south to Summerland via a "secret" trail posted on the Dualsport BC forum. I had not traveled this particular trail, but had sussed it out as a backup track for another ride I had done earlier in the season. It's pretty much impossible to get lost in that area anyway, so I was good to go.

Got all ready to go, and realized I had left my Klim riding jacket (Riff Raff Extreme baby!) in my wife's van. Ok, no big deal... my bike insurance was in it so I took it easy riding down to pick it up. No big fat wheelies!

Grabbed the jacket, hugs, kisses and promises of frequent check-ins and I was on my way. Slabbed it from Kelowna to just south of Peachland, turning off onto Hardy Rd. Followed that up the hill and hung a left on to Log Chute Rd which was to take me to the trail head. Handily there was a tree marked with the letters "SLD" Short for Summerland. That was easy! Unfortunately no pics of the tree... :(

Nice trail, kinda a single track and a half as it was narrower than a typical 4x4 road. It climbed nicely and followed the highway from a couple hundred feet above. It was a beautiful day, no clouds, sunny but not too hot. Cruising along nicely!

Beautiful view from a couple hundred feet above Hwy97:

Found this old run down and obviously not usable water flume:

Brimstone screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 01:42 PM
Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Came around a corner to two pickups and two guys cutting up a huge fir tree that had come down a few years ago. Some of the nicest firewood I have seen around here. Stopped to chat a bit then let them get back to work... About 3 minutes down the road I thought dang. I should have taken a picture! So after that I vowed to take pics of anything worthy!

Brimstone screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 01:41 PM
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Rode the rest of the trail, lot's of switchbacks, rocky sections, couple of reasonable climbs, it was awesome. Finally reached the top. Clear view north to Kelowna and south to Penticton It was fabulous! Shot a few pics and headed out.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Flying along doing about 85km/h a nice gravel road ride. I was cutting a couple corner's and had a good flow going... saw a tree laying onto the road a bit so kept a bit wide.... WHACK! something hits the bike. Hmm... I thought I was wide enough but no matter, didn't seem to be too bad... famous last words of course...

Kept on to the Garnet Valley Damn:

Brimstone screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 01:39 PM
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Brimstone OP
Super Duper n00b!

Road the rest of the way into Summerland and pulled into the Petro Canada gas station. Hop of the bike to fuel up and coolant is pissing down the rad and all over the ground. DAMN! Looking all over to see where it is leaking from... Not seeing anything immediately I pushed the bike over to a parking spot. Closer examination reveals the rad guard is cracked and there is a stick stuck in the rad:

Took about a 2x3 inch section of the fins out as it went in. Fire the bike up and it is clearly leaking from the wound:

Brimstone screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 01:36 PM