Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
ADVancing OP
Ducati Submissive

Oddometer: 86
Help n00b with a Film Project.

So. Here is a short introduction.

I'm Nate, A 16 year old Junior in highschool with no real riding experience and a large sense of adventure. I've always been interested in motorcycles (much to the peril of my father) and Film. About a week ago I was reading the Sydney to London RR. I was inspired to see as much as I can before I crank down into the ramen-eating, bus-riding experience that is college which will undoubtedly flow into me working till' I die.

I want to plan a trip that will allow me to see as much as possible and film parts of it into a documentary style film to be used as a Senior Project.

Key areas to visit are:
Alaska (Prudhoe Bay??)
New England (Visit Family, Maybe go into canada at some point)
Finish the TAT through and through.

Now I know most of you guys are old enough to be my dad, and even granddad. Which is why I am asking you guys for help with this. I am totally open to you guys going "THIS KID IS CRAZY!" Which I honestly don't mind, if you can give me some help on how to make it far more realistic. I welcome it.

I have some questions...

How much would something like this cost? I plan on doing a lot of camping.
Something I have lots of experience in.

What is a bike that would be acceptable as a first bike that can be used in relative comfort for a trip this size?

Anything in particular I should bring?

Any spectacular routes I should be looking at along the way?

Is anyone out there willing to loan a couch to my ass soewhere along the way?

FYI I live in the Seattle area.
ADVancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVancing
I have some questions...

With digital cameras, not too much to film. Road trip will cost more. It can cost as much as you are willing to spend. Travel with whatever your budget allows. Got $2000? Spend $1000 and head home. Got $10,000? Spend $8000.

Just putting it on an internet blog can make it a lot easier than film editing and can be done on the fly.

What is a bike that would be acceptable as a first bike that can be used in relative comfort for a trip this size?

Any bike that runs. KLR is still the best, cheapest and easiest to set up. People have gone around the world on anything from a moped to a Goldwing.

Sense of humor. Some days will REALLY SUCK!

Anything not four lanes wide.

Thought you wanted to camp? See tent space thread.

Sorry about your lack of a tan, bring sunscreen.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
BmwRudy
Braaaaaaaaaap, BRAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 1,041
+1 on the KLR. Cheap, reliable. Put everything in a water tight bag, strap it on bike, check oil, tire pressure and fuel up and RIDE. The adventures will unfold day by day. You ride out to NJ and I'll show you some local color. Be in Seattle in less then a week myself, riding back to NJ. Dreams are like a good swing with the bat, follow through.

77' DT 250, 79' GS 1000L, 86' TW 200, 98'DR 350, 05' Dakar, 09 GSA
BmwRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
ADVancing OP
Ducati Submissive

Thanks for the replys guys.

I enjoy camping unless everything blows up. Plus, how would I update the ride report and complain through the internet too all of my friends??

Would you guys recommend the old KLR over the new one?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Would you guys recommend the old KLR over the new one?
What can YOU afford.

Dirt lovers bitch about the loss of 1/2 inch travel and 10 lbs gained.

Street lovers bitch about.........................um.................. ...

I find the old school style FUCKIN UGLY!!! Whether it's a Honda, Suzuki or pre-08 KLR, They all look identical.

Insurance is dirt cheap, mechanically bulletproof, around the world capable. Handle well enough to pound sand in most sport bikes vaginal cavity as long as straight line power isn't required.

Soon some computer nerd will be along shortly to wallow about the Suzuki being better blah blah blah only because he's inseam challenged and still needs platform shoes to brush his three remaining teeth.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
ADVancing OP
Ducati Submissive

Hahahaha.

I agree they are pretty fugly. I can afford the new KLR by about $0.16. But I can still afford it. There is one for sale here for $3995 that has the Happy trail panniers.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
So. Here is a short introduction.

I'm Nate, A 16 year old Junior in highschool with no real riding experience and a large sense of adventure. I've always been interested in motorcycles (much to the peril of my father) and Film. About a week ago I was reading the Sydney to London RR. I was inspired to see as much as I can before I crank down into the ramen-eating, bus-riding experience that is college which will undoubtedly flow into me working till' I die.

I want to plan a trip that will allow me to see as much as possible and film parts of it into a documentary style film to be used as a Senior Project.

Key areas to visit are:
Alaska (Prudhoe Bay??)
New England (Visit Family, Maybe go into canada at some point)
Finish the TAT through and through.

Now I know most of you guys are old enough to be my dad, and even granddad. Which is why I am asking you guys for help with this. I am totally open to you guys going "THIS KID IS CRAZY!" Which I honestly don't mind, if you can give me some help on how to make it far more realistic. I welcome it.
No, you're not crazy. Give it a rip and have fun. Make it the first of many adventures.

I have some questions...

As others have said, it all depends. Let's say you run 300 to 400 mile days then plan on anywhere from $30 to $50/day for gas. If you camp that will run anywhere from $5 (US park service campgrounds with minimal services) to $25 (KOA or RV style campgrounds with showers, swimming pools or other amenities) per day. I would suggest a hotel once or twice a week, but then I'm one of those "old enough to be your dad" types (Ugh it hurts to have to say that). Youth hostels are another way to get cheap lodgings when it is time for a warm and dry night. Just Google hostel or youth hostel with the town you are going to stop at. Your last big daily expense is food. That all depends on how much of your own cooking you do and how much eating out you do. Let's say anywhere from $20 to $50 per day.

Then don't forget about bike maintenance costs. Oil changes, new tires, misc. Who knows what that might run, but if you are going to try the TAT, going all the way to New England and or Alaska something will break and need fixing. I'm also assuming you already have all your camping gear. If not there is all that to buy.

+1 for the KLR. Great bang for the buck. The Happy Trails panniers are great. The Suzuki DR is another good inexpensive option. The BMW 650GS for a bit more money.

All the obvious stuff like camera and good waterproof riding gear.

I can only speak to the SEA to Alaska section. There is going East and go through Glacier Nat. Park and the Going to the Sun Hwy. North through Banf and Jasper parks in Alberta. I'd suggest the Cassiar Hwy. with side trips to Hyder and some of the other dead end roads. If you come up to the Great White North invest in a copy of The Milepost. It gives good detailed info on all the main routs in BC, Yukon and Alaska.

You never know. Just post as you near where you want to stay and can give some time frame for your arrival then ask. That said the usual disclaimers about strangers should apply.

Have a good trip!
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
I'm glad you enjoyed my ride report. You are not crazy. Do you have any mechanical skills? How tall are you? I'd say those two things would seriously impact what bike I'd recommend.

My first bike was a nice bike, but I had just as much, and maybe more fun on my beater bikes. Anything will go the distance if you treat it right. If I could become you, I would buy a dr350, a duffel bag, and leave. Maybe take a look at the cheap bike challenge thread in road warriors for some ideas on bikes as well.

The tent space thread is awesome! Most of the people I met though it are insanely nice, and go out of there way to help a guy bumming a space to sleep(me). I think camping a couple nights then meeting somebody on the tent space thread would be great. Get a shower every third day, keep it cheap, not have to be anywhere at a certain time(the only downside to the tentspace thing is meeting up with people, which means you have to be in a certain town on a certain day) and stay out of hotels. Staying with an inmate through the tent space thread is much nicer than a hotel, trust me.

If you want to go for a long time be prepared to get wet, get dirty, break stuff, get lost, run out of gas and just generally go through a lot of strange obstacles. It happens. Its also a lot of fun. Always remember you want to be where you are, and its supposed to be fun.

If you are ever around Tucson, Az(Fall, spring), Huntsville, Al(summer), or Aspen, Co(winter, I get around), I'd be happy to provide a space to sleep, tools, a rescue truck, gas or anything else you may need. Why? because complete strangers did more than that for me.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
ADVancing OP
Ducati Submissive

Thank you!

The only obstacle right now is my budget.

I'm looking to do this trip while spending as little money as possible. ( I bet you figured that part out.)

I'm thinking

~$1000 For Camera.
~$4000 For KLR & Accessories.
~$1000 For ATG.
~$750 For Get out of trouble money.
~$50/Day for Gas (Highest Common Denominator)
~$15/Day for Lodgeing, depending on where and when. (rollover money)
~$25/Day for Food. (At one point I lived on $8/Day so this might be a bit flamboyant)

I have all the camping gear, Stoves from MSR, Tents from MSR (Which the zipper will undoubtedly break on me.) I have the connection to the inside, I mean my dads only worked there for 25 years. So if anything comes up I think I will be able to get it shipped and handled.

I built a cost program in excel. Hopefully, This will be more than enough.

EDIT:
Zephyr I didn't see your post until now.

I'm Mechanically inclined, 6'1"ish.

I think the breaking and overall troubles is what makes the entire experience fun.
Type later at school.

ADVancing screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 01:34 PM
Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
BmwRudy
Braaaaaaaaaap, BRAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 1,041
DON"T overplan, plans usually fall apart anyway. Meeting great people can slow you down, as well as a flat tire. Waterproof bag and ride!!

77' DT 250, 79' GS 1000L, 86' TW 200, 98'DR 350, 05' Dakar, 09 GSA
BmwRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
If you know your way around a tool I would NOT spend 4000 on a bike. You can find a perfectly good bike for much less especially with the bike market the way it is(2000 is a good starting point). Grab a few year old klr, dr, xr, of 600+cc and you can't go wrong. You should have plenty of inseam for any bike you will look at. Don't go overboard with giant hard luggage. I'd say if you have a 1000$ camera, definetly get a case for that, or always carry it with you. But other than that just go to a kayak store get a drybag, some straps and toss it on a rack and go. If you want to be cheap, be simple.

I spent less than 300 for 10 days a couple years ago. You also seem to plan much more than me. I'd say just save as much as you can, spend what you need to spend(camera, bike, gear), and leave the rest in an account to use when you need it. I think it will be practically impossible to plan how much you will spend on gas, food, lodging, etc. So don't, just keep track of your money as you go.

Atg means all the gear right? Don't go overboard spending a ton on gear first either, remember this is your first bike, what seems to work well may not, and you may want something different once you get a bit of time under you. Oh yeah, and just get used to being wet, waterproof gear is rarely waterproof.

I don't know much about cameras but that seems pretty expensive too.

just my opinion, but I'd spend half what you have allocated for gear and the bike and you could spend even more time on the road.

Quote:
I think the breaking and overall troubles is what makes the entire experience fun.
you will do fine

lstzephyr screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 08:00 PM
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #12
ADVancing OP
Ducati Submissive

I am just guessing an overall budget. Plan big. That leaves room (Hear: MONEY) For any problems. (I.E. Random Gimungous Bike Acksplosion, Spontaneous Human Combustion.)

I think I will slash the bike budget. As for ATG. I need it or else parents will and I will not be going anywhere.

I'm shooting a film, Solo. That camera is actually very nice (and second hand)

Thanks for the help. Keep it up. Any solutions for locking the bike and or camera gear?