Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
mikeyoda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Airbag Jacket any good? ( Hit Air Safermoto jacket & vest)

Are they any good?

http://www.hitairaustralia.com/
The idea looks good ,but does it really work.

Cheers
Mike
mikeyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyoda

Are they any good?

http://www.hitairaustralia.com/
The idea looks good ,but does it really work.

Cheers
Mike
friend of mines old man or uncle is either the supplier or importer for hitair. I checked out a few of em. They look good. Every time I see him I'm tempted to pull the cord. Only thing I'm leary of is the fact that the 8" long 1" thick CO2 canister is mounted over your rib cage. So, say you forget to connect to your bike, fall off, land on that, it would SUCK big time.

with the hit air jackets the CO2 catriges are replaceable, in case the spill didn't ruin the jacket.

the videos look good, check em out.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
Laugh Impact Jacket

Had mine (Impact Jacket) for 3 months now and believe I'll stick with it. Here is a previous thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509467

I'd recommend one of these to anyone.

I'm working on a simple magnetic reed switch gizmo that senses when I have it properly attached. My first prototype just lights a white LED tie-strapped next to the speedo. My next iteration will be a bit cleaner.

I've had no concerns about getting off the bike with the tether attached. If I forget, the tug is a reminder that doesn't trigger inflation. My bigger worry is the 2-3 times I've come to a stop and realized that I never connected it. No connection - no inflation! Hence the drive to build the attachment sensor.

BMW could integrate this into their bikes with full electronic interlock for under $10!
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
If it takes longer than, say, 30 milliseconds to fully inflate (car airbags use an explosion to to this), then it would seem to be useless.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
Wink 30 milliseconds

Don't be so quick to reject. They do take far longer than explosive car airbags to inflate - closer to 500 milliseconds. A car bag must inflate quickly to save the little old lady driving with her face 3 inches from the steering wheel. On my bike, I'm more worried about hitting the ground - which is much farther away. If you look at my previous thread, you will see a YouTube video of a guy jumping off his sport bike as the jacket inflates. It gives an idea of the time involved.
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanwannabe
Don't be so quick to reject. They do take far longer than explosive car airbags to inflate - closer to 500 milliseconds. A car bag must inflate quickly to save the little old lady driving with her face 3 inches from the steering wheel. On my bike, I'm more worried about hitting the ground - which is much farther away. If you look at my previous thread, you will see a YouTube video of a guy jumping off his sport bike as the jacket inflates. It gives an idea of the time involved.
If it's the ground you're worried about hitting (and not the side of the little old lady's car as it pulls out in front of you), then wouldn't top notch armor be about as effective, far less complex, and without the risk of mechanical failure?
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanwannabe
Contact me about getting an upgraded keybox. Hit-Air have redesigned it and it now inflates the airbag completely in less than 250ms.
Info about how to do the upgrade is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yoIL3YTZ9M

Slow motion testing is here (watch in HD so you can see the milliesecond counter in the upper right hand corner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jvY-ySnFg
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
If anyone is interested I just put a new one (size XL) in the fleamarket.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839813
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
If anyone is interested I just put a new one (size XL) in the fleamarket.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839813
See my replies in that thread. Dont use Bungee cord to tether the airbag to the bike
Old 12-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
PauHana
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Here's an video of a guy that had one on during an accident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoGDw...eature=related
Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
12voltclothing
Banned

Oddometer: 130
Be nice if they made pants to
12voltclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,757
I understand the concern about the co2 cartridge, I don't carry anything hard in my jacket pockets. But, I do like the benefits of the whole jacket with the upper arms, torso, spine and neck brace all inflating. If you are going down what are the chances of landing on the cartridge itself ... maybe 5% and even then that might not be as bad as what would happen if you didn't have the inflation aspec at all. IMHO
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 275
I have the YS vest and love the hi viz color and reflective areas! I had a problem with the zipper and just wanted to say thank you to Alan for making it right! I feel much safer wearing the vest and plan to buy vests or jackets for my kids too.

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
I have the YS vest and love the hi viz color and reflective areas! I had a problem with the zipper and just wanted to say thank you to Alan for making it right! I feel much safer wearing the vest and plan to buy vests or jackets for my kids too.
Have had to fix a few of the zipper on the YS vests. Factory thinks it was a bad batch of zippers from their supplier!!!!

We have replaced every zipper on the YS vests that folks have had problems with, maybe 4 or 5 tops so far.

Glad to hear you feel safer wearing the vest, I wont ride without mine. Even although it did not stop my collar bone from braking in my last "racing incident" at the track I am 100% sure it saved my neck from injury though
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
Have had to fix a few of the zipper on the YS vests. Factory thinks it was a bad batch of zippers from their supplier!!!!

We have replaced every zipper on the YS vests that folks have had problems with, maybe 4 or 5 tops so far.

Glad to hear you feel safer wearing the vest, I wont ride without mine. Even although it did not stop my collar bone from braking in my last "racing incident" at the track I am 100% sure it saved my neck from injury though
I just sent my MLV-Y vest back to Alan for a larger size. I'm looking forward to adding this to my daily riding gear.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote