User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
"The Official" GoPro HD Hero Camera

Picked one up at the mall of all places today. If it wasn't for all of this white crap on the ground I'd put some video up.

Is there an official thread for the camera? My searches show nothing.

I'm currently playing with Sony Vegas 9.0, attempting to burn some BD's to try out down in the home theatre.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W

Wesley J screwed with this post 12-23-2009 at 06:23 PM Reason: Eliminate more threads on same subject
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
I haven't seen a detailed review thread on this forum on the HD version.

Just be sure you have a compatible SD memory card, i.e. a high speed one or your HD video will be jittery.

Looking forward to seeing sample videos.. This camera is on my want list.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Lets rename this the official thread then. I'll take some shots of the contents of the box and upload some video tonight as well as my first impressions. Some outdoor video on the dog sled is in order. Yes, all of us Canacks have dog sleds.

I was successful in authoring the 1080p content to a 1080i BluRay (on DVD) that will play in both my PS3 and BD player.

This is gonna be good!

Wesley J

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 12-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
FrankS
...please wait...

Oddometer: 417
The sample videos on their website look much better (sharper, more vibrant colors) than the sample videos on VHoldRs website. Ive almost ordered a VHoldR but now I think the GoProHD Hero is the much better camera

Looking forward to your review.

Regards

Frank
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Wesley J OP
Hoser

OK, so here are some pics of what came out of the package.

Waterproof case to 60 m
Different case door to facilitate better sound w/o wind noise
Suction base
3 - Flat bases
2 - Curved bases
2 - Camera bases
1 - Side of the helmet thinga ma jig
Cables

Supposedly you need to use a class 4 or better memory card in order to record the 960p or better as the data rate is too high for the slower cards. I tested a class 6 Patriot card (el cheapo) and it work swimmingly.

I haven't used one of these before but changing the settings is like masturbating with a cheese grater, you're happy when its over for a variety of reasons.... I'll try to memorize which video settings I want and leave it at that. Actually, there is one really cool feature, it'll take pictures continuoulsy at a prescribed interval. With my luck it'd take a picture before, then after a crash and miss a shot of that really hot chick that caused it all.....

The video quality is actually quite good. With 1920x1080p actual pixel resolution you'd expect the sharpness to be good and it is. The colors are fairly well saturated, almost as good as my Sony HDV camera (1080i). Motion artifacts are minimal as well. FYI, I'm reviewing the unedited video on a speedy machine attached to a reasonably good 1200p 24" LCD monitor as well as my 1080p DLP highly calibrated home theater projector (110"). I'm a bit of a video geek and like to think I know what to look for.

Tommorrow I'll go dog sledding with my helmet on a come back with some video. I'll shoot some in the different resolutions and frame rates and find a place to upload them. I'd flash them and put them on my blog but you guys would murder me with bandwidth charges.....

Oh ya, I did a test shoot in the house just to play with the format. I had it set to 1080p and ended up with files that were 1.2 MB/second so my 16 GB card will hold ~ 16000/1.2/60=3.5 hours. I know, I know, some geek will correct my math but its close enough for me. Also, I'm not sure if the encoder chip with increase/decrease bit rate based on encoding complexity (most do) so file size may vary with increased motion. We'll see tomorrow.

Anyway, shoot me questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Wesley J

Pics:

Contents

Front

Side

Rear

Da udder side

Lithium Ion Rechargable!!!

Curved helmet mounts

Flat Mounts

Suction base

Rear hatch to let more sound in

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W

Wesley J screwed with this post 12-24-2009 at 12:10 AM
Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
afmracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
This camera is definitely on my list! The quality of footage seems unreal. Should add a whole new dimension to many rider's Ride Reports.
afmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Is this the motorsports version? Besides mounting it on the helmet, which mount would you use to mount to a bike?

Something else, what does one do with the HD content? I suppose you need a blu-ray burner which is currently big bucks. You're saying you can burn HD content on a regular DVD-R?

Where did you buy it?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,386
IMO the best vids I have seen for cams are on Vimeo - they don't seem to sample down the resolution as bad as any other hosts - although YouTube recently went up to 1080p.

This is a demo I found on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/7996230
Not all who wander are lost

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 11:07 AM
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 189
Here is a short and simple sequence I put together of the last few days of riding. There is a little quality loss but you can download the original from vimeo if you wish.

Baja Mexico from j b on Vimeo.

greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb
Here is a short and simple sequence I put together of the last few days of riding.
Nice job. Thanks for sharing. The roads in front of my house are covered with ice. It's nice to see someplace that looks warm.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
jamier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Just curious if anyone has experience with the Drift x170 camera?

I'm still debating on getting one of these and I like the every 2 second feature of the GoPro...
but I also like the remote. But sound like GoPro is going to have a remote later this year.

Does anyone have a full sized picture that the GoPro takes for the typical shots?
I'm guessing you have hundreds to sift through after a long ride... and a lot will be deleted... Just curious what you end up after 1000 pictures.
jamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier
Just curious if anyone has experience with the Drift x170 camera?

I'm still debating on getting one of these and I like the every 2 second feature of the GoPro...
but I also like the remote. But sound like GoPro is going to have a remote later this year.

Does anyone have a full sized picture that the GoPro takes for the typical shots?
I'm guessing you have hundreds to sift through after a long ride... and a lot will be deleted... Just curious what you end up after 1000 pictures.
Jamier: These may not be what you are looking for, as these are from the NON HD version. The link is to a gallery I put up of the GoPro 5MP stills that I took on a short, late afternoon ride several weeks ago. The camera was set to take a photo every 5 seconds (every 2 secs is the other choice on my NON HD GoPro). This gallery is the best of the bunch that I got, after culling out a lot of photos. You can see the jiggly lines that result from the GP CMOS rolling shutter, lots of noise, really not that great, in my view (but I'm used to shooting with a Nikon D80, 10 MP DSLR). If you are not shooting at high noon, with lots of light, you likely will get similar results. If you have lots of light, it makes a big difference.

Here is that gallery: http://f-rider.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...25553736_dMYfj Click the "O" to get the original 5MP shots.

I also used the GoPro 5 MP (not HD version) this past summer. The videos from that week of riding are here: http://f-rider.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...83811554_smbHp
Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
Jamier: These may not be what you are looking for, as these are from the NON HD version.
AFAIK the SD and HD heros use the same 5MP sensor. As long as you have the wide version, I would think the stills would be the same short of any processing differences.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
jamier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
Jamier: These may not be what you are looking for, as these are from the NON HD version. The link is to a gallery I put up of the GoPro 5MP...
Thanks for the pics and reply. I guess you are not going to get a 'crisp' (camera on tripod) type of image when moving. Just trying to figure out a 'hands free' way to take pictures while in motion.

Are the pics in the first link with the camera mounted to the front signal or helmet?

It's hard to get a feel for a camera without actually trying one out.
jamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
LarryB
Baja GPS Maps, LBMaps.com

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb
Here is a short and simple sequence I put together of the last few days of riding. There is a little quality loss but you can download the original from vimeo if you wish.

&nbsp
&nbsp
Baja Mexico from j b on Vimeo.
Nice! Obviously Sunday in Mulege. What time of year? I don't think I have seen Santispac so empty. Nice bit of escape with the rain here in WA. Thanks!