Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The Mobius Trip .GPX files are here

These are the tracks, routes, and waypoints from our Mobius trip.

Files for M I-8 follow this post. I ALSO posted the same files at GpsXChange.com, and also at Dualsportmaps.com Search the term "Mobius" on each of those sites to find them there.

Because the trip spans multiple geographic regions, I thought it would be easier to consolidate them in one thread here. I plan on updating this thread and those sites with new files as we ride them.

Not included are any tracks or routes, mileage markers, or Sam's directional notes for the TAT, however, there ARE various waypoints that I laid down or otherwise collected along the way for the TAT sections -- Gas, food, campgrounds, bike shops, hot springs, hazards, possible alternates, etc. These waypoints will be helpful, but not nearly sufficient to route/ride the TAT. Not even close.

I have my own nomenclature, which may not be obvious, ie, (FRSD=follow road, shortest distance) otherwise routing is point-to-point. Sometimes I spec which mapset I'm using, sometimes I don't. Tracks have been thinned to 500 points each, but I have the full tracks on my HD. If someone wants the details of a specific area with all the track data points let me know and I can splice out just that piece. There are a few tricky places where a stream crossing or something is in a very specific location, but at the posted resolution it isn't quite precise enough.

If anyone has specific questions, please post them to this thread and I'll answer if I can.

The files are numbered for each Mobius section: 1=NYC-NM, 2a&2b=NM-AZ, etc. Some sections had to be split up to be below the ADV file size upload limit of 1.93MB. If you're interested in a split section, be sure to download all pieces and combine them in MapSource or BaseCamp / RoadTrip, or GoogleEarth.

Enjoy!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 10:21 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius I

NYC to Albuquerque, NM in May 2008
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-1.GPX (750.6 KB, 782 views)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius II-a

part 1: Albuquerque, NM - Flagstaff, AZ; Sept, 2008
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-2a.GPX (973.7 KB, 511 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-10-2010 at 11:44 AM
Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius II-b

part 2: Albuquerque, NM - Flagstaff, AZ, Sept, 2008
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-2b.GPX (1.08 MB, 493 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-10-2010 at 11:44 AM
Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius III

Flagstaff, AZ - Reno, NV, May 2009
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-3.GPX (1.29 MB, 510 views)
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius IV-a

part 1: Reno, NV - Seattle, WA in Sept. 2009
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Mobius-4a.GPX (1.20 MB, 509 views)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 738
Hello Dr.Rock,

I found your Mobius 2a track for NE NM to Sanfa Fe, NM at dualsportmaps.com. I am planning to do CDT ride next summer and out of blue I have few friends who ride ATV and they are asking me to please organize ATV trip for them along the CDT. I know it might be a bit weird to have one dual sport bike and 4-5 ATV riding the CDT but it sounds fun and why not!? We all are camping guy and probably can go cheap.. So anyway, the question I had for your Mobius 2a track is how difficult was the trail? It is showing red but I am assuming you happened to use red line for different reason? I am trying to look into a trail that we could ride south from CO to Antelope Wells, NM before hitting the CDT and travel up north. The plan in work is that we will use a crew cab ford 350 truck and haul a long trailer that can hold 4-6 ATV and my dual sport bike to somewhere in CO and park the truck there, then we would ride our bike through different trail down south and ride CDR up to Montana/CA border before using different trail back to CO.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Hello Dr.Rock,...why not!? We all are camping guy and probably can go cheap.. So anyway, the question I had for your Mobius 2a track is how difficult was the trail? It is showing red but I am assuming you happened to use red line for different reason? I am trying to look into a trail that we could ride south from CO to Antelope Wells, NM before hitting the CDT and travel up north....
Technically, it's all rideable on an ATV. Legally, I'm not so sure... There's a fair amount of public roads, both paved and dirt. If you read the Mobius ride report for that section beginning mobius 2 and for the last part of Mobius I, you'll get some good images of the terrain. The colors I used for the tracks are only to differentiate the different days.

If you have other routing questions for me, let's take it to PM -- I'd like to keep this thread pretty lean to make it easier for folks to find the files they're after. Or, probably even better, I'd recommend to start a thread about your trip in the Riding/Trip planning/Americas forum, or in the Regional/Rockies forum -- I'm sure you'll get some good intel from those.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10 Day 1, Saturday Sept. 8, 2012

The description of the day's ride is here.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx M10 2012-09-08.GPX (678.5 KB, 142 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 11:50 AM
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 2: Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012

The description of the day's ride is here.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx M10 2012-09-09.GPX (856.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 3: Monday, Sept. 10, 2012

Description of the day's ride starts here.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx M10 2012-09-10.GPX (680.5 KB, 116 views)