ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Question 07' 990 ADV chain guide failure?

Has anyone exreienced the loss of a chan guide ?Resulting in getting jammed in the front sprocket therefore locking up the drivetrain.It happened to me this last sunday on Skaggs spring rd(Sanoma co.NorCal)I entered a downhill right turn when my rearend locked up as I was already leaned in and I highsided resulting in Heli ride to the emergency room,with multiple fractures and a concusion.When I got home and did some looking around on ktm websites there it was!!!A recall on that chain guide.I bought the bike new in the beggining of 08' so I never recieved no recall.Should it have already been fixed brfore I bought it???Anyone with any legal advise???Rider down due to mechanical failure is not a good feeling!!!
trentdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
bkshovel
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Sooo, what's the recall all about? This is the first I've heard of it.
bkshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,595
This was a pretty well talked about deal in the first 12-18 months of the 990. The fastener bolts that held the chain guide to the swingarm weren't tightened and also needed to be locktited.

The bikes ate a number of chainguides and caused a couple of pucker moments (but I think yours is the first fall I remember) before KTM put out the TSB.

General concensus was don't ride your 990 until you've had the TSB done or tightened/locktited the bolts yourself. I ask your dealer about it, and what else they may not have done for you before turning over the bike.

Brent

Here's the TSB (credit goes to CPmodem)

TB 0759:

Click on image for link

And here's the thread that started it all.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=chain-slider

I don't have a 990 so I never paid a whole lot of attention to this (but I did check my 950), but it is interesting that the TSB states that "it is mandatory that you discontinue riding the motorcycle until the repair has been made".

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50

brents347 screwed with this post 02-17-2010 at 09:43 PM
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Pissed Thanks for the Info.!!!I have that same exact pic of the chain guide.

Thanks again for the reply and Info. you have given me.I maintain my own bikes pretty analy!And I have never seen or heard of a guide doing that,a chain yes.I was going to take my wife that day(Valentines day)but she decided she did not want to go.Good thing hu?Something as simple as a piece of plastic could of cost me my life and my kids with no Dad,Makes you think.Do you think Ktm should pay for my bike and broken bones?I'm not really "that guy"but on the other hand???Thanks for the Reach program!!!Not sure if everyone knows about Reach but fot $50 a year it covers me and my family.Probably saved me about $15,000.00.If you don't have it you should check it out.
Thanks again...
Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentdirt
Thanks for the Reach program!!!Not sure if everyone knows about Reach but fot $50 a year it covers me and my family.Probably saved me about $15,000.00.If you don't have it you should check it out.
Thanks again...
Was is this reach program???
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Helecopter Ambulence service

Reach is the same as CalStar(California).It's an Air ambulance for rescues.If for any reason you need to be flown or rescued.Or even transported to another Hospital it covers you.For $50.00 a year it covers you and your family(living with you).I got hurt pretty bad about 3 years ago out in the desert in Nevada,it was quite costly even after my Insurence covered most.I did not have the Reach then but after getting the bill I figured it's pretty good deal.But I didn't plan on using it again???
Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,907
Perhaps this? This picture is from a very good Ride Report by CoydogSF and Rubberneck.

From Track Dave and Dave
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

I have that exact picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
Perhaps this? This picture is from a very good Ride Report by CoydogSF and Rubberneck.

From Track Dave and Dave
Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

The chain guide on the front of the swingarm.......

It is simple as a couple of drops of loctite on 2 bolts.I bought the bike new but it was almost 2 years old.Really good deal.I'm assuming the dealership would of got that recall and would of fixed it before I recieved it???
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
DualSportSucker
El Nooberino

Oddometer: 144
KTM probably isn't liable

Wouldn't look to KTM if you're thinking lawsuit... they issued the service bulletin. The dealer should have performed all recommended updates prior to delivery. If it's been a couple of years, it may be a tough case to make whether they did or didn't... even loctite isn't forever.

Heal up fast!
2007 Kingpin (Sold)
2007 KLX "110" V3.0 (Sold)
2009 KX450F (Ridden regularly)
DualSportSucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
tcskibike2008
SnowHawker

Oddometer: 195
First I want to say that sucks and I hope you are feeling better but a lawsuit, thats a stretch for a bolt coming loose after 2 years. One would almost expect things like this to happen thats why a thorough check of all your fasteners is a must. It comes back to personally responsibility , something our culture has lost. You(We) are riding a motorcycle and risking our lives, a lawyer does no good when that fastener goes and you are in the middle of a big off.

Please don't take this personally not intended to call you out specifically more of a rant about personal responsibilities.

Now if this happened a couple weeks after a purchase or if a part just failed, like a broken BMW fork leg then a lawsuit may be warranted.

TonyC
tcskibike2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,617
Glad to hear you survived that crash, Too bad this had to happen., kind of scary, really scary.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Pissed Helmet Prices & Your LC8

The recent posts on the LC8 side stand mounting location and this make me think of why Shoei helmets cost (almost) as much as Aria's now- lawsuits.

As a manufacturer of quality helmets their lower price brought them a lot of sales compared to the more expensive Arai.

As statistics go, they were sued more than Arai & this caused them to raise the prices of their helmets.

If it's the question of a flawed final drive design that was fixed on the Corvair, or the "banning" of Honda/etc 3-wheeled ATVs that were withdrawn from the product line, consumer lawsuits do the public (& other consumers) good.

Other types (tort) lawsuits either put the company in question out of business or had them increase product costs/reduce R&D to pay for insurance premiums, lawyers, litigation, etc, etc.

I used to be a Triumph mechanic back in the bad old days (um, before Hinckley went to Japan & copied a 3cyl Ninja motor) and shit fell off those bikes all the time. The oil feed line to the rocker arms/valve gallery wasn't force-fed, it was tee'd off the return line to the tank from the sump scavenger pump... anyone who knows hydraulic laws (or a kid with a tea cup in the bathtub) knows that liquids will go in the direction of least resistance, so the Triumphs ate their top ends every 7-12,000 miles from lack of proper lubrication... and they NEVER fixed it!!! That is one big reason why the Japanese left Triumph/BSA/Norton/etc in the weeds and put many of them out of business: because they refused to change things while the Japanese studied EVERY failure with scrutiny... "One dissatisified customer can undo the work of one hundred satisified customers" as the saying goes.

Fellas, we have the Ferraris of off-road motorcycles. Period. I'd bet more than half of us bought these bikes knowing full well their Achilles Heal(s) & problems. This is not an un-educated group at OC.

You pay to play here, this is not a company that has the resources (person-hour or $) to play the way the Japanese did (I say did because they fell under the direction of their shareholders to return a dividend and they quit fixing things, ala Toyota & throttle systems) so don't expect them to respond as such.

I'm just damn glad I have this unfucking-believably badass capable bike in my garage and I get to ride her all I want

And the real fix for this is to insert RivNuts in the swingarm... I am working with Hansen Rivet to find a reasonable solution; right now they are quoting $15 for the fasteners & $59 for the installation tool; the tool could be used for all different sizes of blind fasteners so you fabricators out there could go crazy. You could probably bribe an aircraft or bus (Municipal/Greyhound) mechanic to put yours in for you, they deal with them everyday
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,897
Question

I'm on my second 5k ish trip in the last month on my 06 950. Just hosed it off for inspection and have lost the chain guide bolt on the topside of the swingarm.

I'm having an insanely slow Internet connection this morning so didn't try to read the whole thread. Does anyone know off the top of their head what size bolt this is? I'm about to look for a hardware store to replace it before riding any further today.

Hell.....if you want just text me the size 303-359-7469 it might be faster than this connection right now.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I'm on my second 5k ish trip in the last month on my 06 950. Just hosed it off for inspection and have lost the chain guide bolt on the topside of the swingarm.

I'm having an insanely slow Internet connection this morning so didn't try to read the whole thread. Does anyone know off the top of their head what size bolt this is? I'm about to look for a hardware store to replace it before riding any further today.

Hell.....if you want just text me the size 303-359-7469 it might be faster than this connection right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
The allen screws needed to be M6X100 since 90 were just surfacing. Anyway permanent peace of mind.
Cheers.
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote