User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,423
CENTEX ADV: Quest for the HOLY SMOKE!

Having worked in the BBQ business since I was in jr high, I have taken it upon myself to bring forth this thread for sole purpose of locating and rating great Que. Ol man Weaver took me under his wing when I was a strappin young lad in the 8th grade. Weaver ran the best Q place in Gatesville for years until his health forced him to give it up. At the time, just figured him for some old fart trying to augment retirement serving up greasy smoked grub. He had an old pitt he pulled behind a 67 Ford truck that would be my first truck(He gave me the truck for cutting fire wood for him.) His joint was first by the schools and he had large following of school kids at lunch. Forget your lunch money, not a problem Weaver NEVER let go hungry. It would be years later that I learned that ol' man had been an investment banker and had annual interest income in the 6 digits!!! He dressed plain, lived in a one room appartment and drove a 60s Buick Skylark. He taught me how to cook Que. Some say I make the best, one things for sure it ain't bad. Mr. Weaver died a number of years ago due complications from asthma, I wish I could have been there, he died alone...he was like a grandfather to me. Fast FORWARD....in more recent years I have catered for thousands, judged BBQ cookoffs, served as pitt boss, and built many pitts...SO NOW FOR THE RULZZ:

We will search out and Judge BRISKET, RIBS, SAUSAGE, and PORK BUTT!

CHICKEN IS NOT Q!!! if someone rates a chicken, may they be tarred and feathered

Ratings are 1-10 with 10 being best! Remember we are rating the fare not necessarily the decor! Some of the best ribs I have ever had was from an old Colored man in east Texas cooking off a 55gallon drum beside the road under a tent Never seen him again but DAMN they were good!
There will be one overall rating per meat, I am not going to judge this like a cookoff. Smoke rings are nice, but taste is what we are after!!!!
Feel free to offer additional comments in the end. Make each place a separate post with the name, address, GPS Coods(just kidding unless u ride a BMW... ), and importantly when they are open....nothing sux worse than driving 200 miles for Que and then find the place is closed

Eventually, I would like to us compose our own TOP 50 list, cause Texas Monthly does not know SHIT!

1) BRISKET: Brisket should not be tough, if I want tough, I will buy Jerky!!! Personally I think brisket needs to be juicy and fall apart when ya cut it, but I understand the logistics of serving that

2) RIBS: The RIB is like the holy meat of man! Smoked to perfection with out bitterness, ready to fall off the bone with just the right seasonings to make your mouth water for days after when you think about it .

3) SAUSAGE: SAUSAGE is very subjective. Some is dry, some is busting with juice, some spicy, some plain. Depending on what is ground into and how its cased decides how it needs to be cooked. Typically, I prefer mine spicy, juicy and not cooked into oblivion

4) PORK BUTT: Many have no clue what a delicacy this can be. DONE WELL< IT kicks Briskets ass! Done poorly don't waste time even eating it
Pork Butt needs to be tender and juicy with just enough smoke you realice this is not just a pork chop

With that, let the rides and ratings roll in (helpful to point out which serve beer )
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

LOCO COYOTE, Glen Rose, TX

I am starting with my favorite place, The Loco Coyote near Glen Rose on CR1004

The front of the place....who is that idiot???

1) Brisket: Brisket is a 7 on an avg of several trips, never bad just was better a couple of times The brisket sandwitch with Rings is killer

2) RIBS: OMG!!!!!!!9.5!!!!!!! Best commercial rib I have had period!
The following pic doe no JUSTICE to these ribs

3) SAUSAGE: It is good, but is outclassed by other selections...I rate it a 6
Sorry no sausage pics

4) NO PORK BUTT!

COMMENTS: What can I say??? Everything... I could rave about this place for pages...Everything here is good! They have Steaks, Awsome burgers, Shrimp, Catfish, kickass chickenfried steak!, and the BEST ONION RINGS I HAVE EVER EATEN!!!! I am now thoroughly drooling on my desk like a rabid dog ....Oh and they have BEER Prices are reasonable for the portions we get. My wife and I often split what ever we order and usually still have a doggy bag!

OPEN: Only only THUR- Sunday for supper. Lunch on Sat and Sun only!

ghostrider1964 screwed with this post 03-29-2010 at 09:39 AM
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Snow's BBQ, Lexington TX

After all the hype Texas Monthly made about Snow's being number 1 BBQ in Texas, I felt morally obligated as a Texan to validate this claim Oh , the things I do for my fellow inmates After a blustery ride to Snow's I met Dahveed, Agman, RLCANON, and GL1800 to test the Q.

Already anticipating this thread, I ordered a 1/4 pound of each of the selected items along with a Dr Pepper coming to a total $14.34

1) BRISKET: Moist kinda bland, not bad, but not the best by a long shot!!! Rating 6...this might be generous

2)RIBS: Very disappointed, I love ribs and I only ate 1, yes I threw a rib away It was dry and charred! Rib rating 3

3) SAUSAGE: Sausage was good, nothing spectacular but would eat again... Rating 6.5

4) PORK BUTT: I normally don't eat Pork Butt out much cause most places cannot fix it for shit. However, this must be where Snow's shines. It was the best pork butt I have eaten outside of a cookoff or home cook
RATING FOR PB....drum rolllll...........9

Comments: ITs alright place to eat, beats the heck out of chain BBQ. I would not venture way out of my way to get there. Would only PB and Sausage next time...Sauce is ok.

Hours: Saturday only from 8am until they sell out. I got there at 8:45 and already crowded

ghostrider1964 screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 01:11 PM
Old 03-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Pics from Snow's...

The Pitt area....

the Centex ADV CRew
Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

J and M's Hill Country BBQ, Gatesville, TX

J & Ms is in my back yard so I have ate there quite a bit through the years. Food in general is ok with it sometimes being exceptional depending on who's cooking that day.

BRISKET: ITs ok, beats most chain restaurants...RATING: 5.5

RIBS: The owner can make some damn good ribs if he was the one that prepared them, somedays they fall woefully short....RATING: 5.5

SAUSAGE: Make their own in house, a course ground sausage, pretty tasty. RATING: 6.5

NO PORK BUTT

COMMENTS: Its an OK stop if you are passing through. Other items on menu are pretty good, my wife likes the fish there. Steaks are cooked on a griddle rather than flame broiled so that is a downer. GOT THOSE DAMN FAKE FRIES DAN!

OPEN everyday but Monday for lunch and supper.

ghostrider1964 screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 01:12 PM
Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
ssdan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
GOT THOSE DAMN FAKE FRIES DAN!
well crap.
ssdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
10-95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Martin's BBQ-Bryan, TX

You can keep Hard 8, Salt Lick and all the rest of the wannabees. Best pork outside Bozo's In Mason, TN --- hands down, is Martin's. Open since the 1920's, same family. They serve beer, Shiner if you like that stuff. Ribs are pretty darn good, briskey--eh...edible. Old time bbq, old time folks, I think they JUST got a credit card machine.
If you come ask for a double portion of the German potatoes. Don't come in summer unless you don't mind sweating. A/C was an afterthought years after the place was built.
3403 S College Ave
Bryan, TX 77840
(979) 822-2031
Hours:
Tue-Fri 10:30 am - 8 pm
Sat 10:30 am - 7 pm
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
BBQ is a matter of opinion. Everyone has one. Will try your recommendation when in Aggie Land. Besides, real BBQ lives in Texas NOT TN. That is my opinion.
FotoTEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
10-95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
BBQ is a matter of opinion. Everyone has one. Will try your recommendation when in Aggie Land. Besides, real BBQ lives in Texas NOT TN. That is my opinion.

I hear ya. Of all the states I've been in Bozo's is the only place I drive out of my way to eat bbq at. Memphis was a waste of time, Kansas City didn't do it for me, S Carolina blew, but BOZO's is the bomb. I'd love to find a place that serves pork that good closer to home but I haven't found it yet.
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,211
I will also try Martin's as I love pork bbq...but I'll defend Memphis. My kid went to undergraduate school at Rhodes College there and I made a career out of Memphis bbq on my many trips. Central for pork and Blues City for pork ribs became my favorites over my four years.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,518
Pork, God's gift to Christians (and Buddhists too) - is an animal made for the BBQ. Cheap and always better cooked slow. They do pork really well in the SE, but you can find great pork BBQ just about anywhere these days.

In Texas, we had cattle rather than hogs, so our BBQ heritage is based on beef. I think beef is harder to get right in the smoker, but you can still find a few restaurants in just about every state that manages some decent BBQ. Thankfully we in Texas have more than just a few good restaurants and several really great ones.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

papabear's in bellmead.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Pic was of the $6.50 Friday lunch special. Pretty dang good sausage. OK brisket and rib. Great deal. Would have cost 2-3 times that at Cooper's.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,087
6.50. thats what I'm talkin' about. looks good.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

I used to eat at Papabears 2-3 times a week when I worked in Waco. Great carne guisada too! I have not ate there in years.