User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
CRF450X thread.....

I did a search for another CRF450X thread, but none showed up, so I figured I would start one......

I recently purchased a 05' CRF450X with a Baja Designs dual sport kit, with some extra aftermarket parts, but pretty much stock. I had a 02' XR400R, I miss it terribly, but it had no title, so I didn't feel like going through the hassle. But I have to admit, the power is night and day between the 2 bikes, that 450X is silly fast.

I really wanted to find out from other CRF450X owners about the certain "issues" with the bike.....

Issue #1: This is my first "new" CRF I've ever owned, so is it normal when the header looks like its going to melt, when its just sitting there warming up? That bad boy is HOT!!

Issue #2: Everytime I seem to stop for a bit, the bike will start spewing coolant from the overflow line, I do have aftermarket radiator guards on it, will that affect the cooling when just sitting still? It does seem to act pretty normal when riding.....

Thanks ahead of time for any input..........

The bike...... (Sorry, crappy phone pic)

Southern Boyz invade Colorado
zzlejeune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

A pic of both the bikes, I sold the XR, regret it now......

Old 04-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
desertridernm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Too lean

Sounds like your X is jetted too lean. Have you checked the spark plug? I've got an 06' that never overheats and gets put through it's paces at 6000' ft. elevation up some fairly steep hills and deep sand. Try a JD Jet kit and get it dialed in. These bikes are beasts in the desert with significantly more power and better suspension than a XR-400. Don't look back!
desertridernm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 502
I have an '05 with a Trick Dual Sport kit on it, plated in Ohio. The only time I've ever over-heated was in a few stuck-in-mud-in-90-degree+ temp situations. Even then, I've never blown any coolant out the overflow tube. BTW, I'm getting ready to sell my 450X. Would you mind sharing how much you paid for yours? I'm trying to figure out how much to ask for it.

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunsett
I have an '05 with a Trick Dual Sport kit on it, plated in Ohio. The only time I've ever over-heated was in a few stuck-in-mud-in-90-degree+ temp situations. Even then, I've never blown any coolant out the overflow tube. BTW, I'm getting ready to sell my 450X. Would you mind sharing how much you paid for yours? I'm trying to figure out how much to ask for it.
I paid $3900, I think KBB was $3590 when I bought it, it was clean and street legal, so I didn't bother haggling...

Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlejeune
I paid $3900, I think KBB was $3590 when I bought it, it was clean and street legal, so I didn't bother haggling...
Thanks. I was going to ask $4000, which includes the Scott's Stabilizer, so it sounds like I'm in the ballpark.

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #7
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunsett View Post
How much trouble did you have plating the CRF?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,536
Suspension tuning question

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but I need to learn how to fine tune my existing suspension. Specifically my 2012 CRF450X is fantastic at soaking up big high speed hits. However the small potholes smash my wrists and at times upset the back end of the bike (not to mention my back). A steering dampener is in the cards but I dont have the cash for that AND a rebuild of my forks. What should I adjust on the bike to soften things up a bit. Im carrying a good amount of speed on track but Im looking to go a bit smoother and thus faster.

Thanks,
Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertridernm
Sounds like your X is jetted too lean. Have you checked the spark plug? I've got an 06' that never overheats and gets put through it's paces at 6000' ft. elevation up some fairly steep hills and deep sand. Try a JD Jet kit and get it dialed in. These bikes are beasts in the desert with significantly more power and better suspension than a XR-400. Don't look back!
It is backfiring some after it idles down, which takes forever, I believe the PO installed a bigger jet, but replaced it with the stock one, I do plan on getting a JD jet kit for my Colorado trip coming in August of this year. I also purchased a flex jet kit, which allows for "slow" jet adjustment, so maybe that will help also.......The suspension is awesome on that bike, it can practically climb a hill by itself.....Thanks for the advice, I'll get that JD jet kit on order.....

Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlejeune
It is backfiring some after it idles down, which takes forever, ....
That just screams leak in the intake. Check the intake boot for leaks before you do anything.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
Richie Mc
Richie76

Oddometer: 1
Question CRF450X Suspension setup

Just sold my XR650R (pretty sad about it) and got brand new X set up with TRX piston and SS valves, the whole bit. Going in an 500km enduro race in a few weeks and now have to go thru the drawn out task of setting up suspension from square one.

Have standard springs at this point, I weigh 100kgs, don't suspose anyone knows if standard will be heavy enough?

Richie Mc screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 03:07 AM
Richie Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
Honda Crf 450X Thread

Its time for a new thread..

I have looked around and there seems to be no 450x thread.. I have a new (to me) 05 450 x with 80ish hrs and some mods... seems like this needs doin.. if you have mods please put em in here or link old mods to this one... Will do a oil change tomorrow and will start with that...

Mike
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Going over some things beside the normal air box, smog block, pink wire. There are some new radiators with oil cooler built in(= more oil) made by PWR a ozzie outfit offered by Chris Blais here.... http://blaisracingservices.com/Honda.../prod_596.html

When doing a oil and tranny change today I ran into this same issue.. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-667390.html
and may have a long tap in my future...

I was also informed the 05's have a 3rd gear issue and maybe should be replaced by a 06 or 07 slightly different machined gear..

also was told that using 1ltr in the tranny as opposed to .74 will help a bit...

Now to test it again tommorow!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

08-09 decomp pin issue

During high-load operation at extremely low
rpm, the crankshaft may experience instanta-
neous reverse rotation that momentarily
extends the decompressor plunger. The
extended decompressor plunger can collide
with the rocker arm with enough force to pos-
sibly damage the actuation pin on the decom-
pressor shaft. If the decompressor actuation
pin is bent or broken the engine will not start.
The UPDATE PROCEDURE outlined in this
Service Bulletin will replace the decompres-
sor shaft and plunger on 2008-2009 CRF450X
models with more durable components.

link to pdf bulletin... via crfs only dot com

http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/images...__r36__web.pdf
Old 07-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
Interesting. I guess I must have the "more durable components" in my 2005 model.