User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
ganze OP
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 441
70's and 80's modernized superbikes

I have become enamored with modernized versions of classic 80's ujms. gs1000's, kz1000's, cb1100's with gixxer, zx, and cbrr swingarm and forks, ohlins shocks and modern wide tires ... check Bull Dock or Sanctuary custom shops for pretty incredible builds of the classics.

Something so cool about the simple air cooled beasts with steel frames and bikini fairings. Modern street fighters are for the most part way too swoopy for me, except the speed triple and the monsters. I guess the xr1200 is close, but I just can't drink that cool aid...if harley put the helicon in it, then maybe... but I digress...

anyone else like modernized 70's and 80's superbikes?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
I still want a FZ750.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
I love them, I really want an old Japanese turbo bike to kit out....
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531

They're kind of the ultimate extension of the UJM superbikes back in the day that had to be built, not bought.
The one thing that does become obvious real quick once you bolt on modern suspenders is how much chassis technology has improved
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

The original 1150 GS:

Adventure Rider #799
Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
No, it's a GS1150. ESD, I believe. Dyslexia abounds in Road Warriors as in GSpot, apparently.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
J_White
should be working

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt View Post
The original 1150 GS:

Man! Had a red and black '85 model "E" back in '86, what a motor is
right! Of course I did only weigh about 135 lbs at the time, probably
did not hurt
J_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze
I have become enamored with modernized versions of classic 80's ujms. gs1000's, kz1000's, cb1100's with gixxer, zx, and cbrr swingarm and forks, ohlins shocks and modern wide tires ... check Bull Dock or Sanctuary custom shops for pretty incredible builds of the classics.

Something so cool about the simple air cooled beasts with steel frames and bikini fairings. Modern street fighters are for the most part way too swoopy for me, except the speed triple and the monsters. I guess the xr1200 is close, but I just can't drink that cool aid...if harley put the helicon in it, then maybe... but I digress...

anyone else like modernized 70's and 80's superbikes?
I have an 82 GS1100EZ...prepping running gear from a "2nd gen" (2001-2006) Bandit 1200 for infusion onto the GS. Triples, forks, brakes, rims and swingarm. Swingarm will be machined to fit the GS's frame, and spools welded to accept dual shocks in the rear.

The triples will be machined to accept the GS steering stem. I won't do any mods that require modding the GS's frame permanently. I'd like to be able to return to stock if needed for some reason.

I had it set up with first generation ('88) GSXR1100 running gear, clip ons included. It was a straight bolt on experience. Rear rim fit into the stock swingarm no prob. I did switch to a 530 chain from a 630. What a difference in handling and braking! The Bandit set up should be better, though, since the forks are cartridge type, as opposed to the damper rod forks of the early GSXR's. Can't wait to get her back together!

Here she was with the GSXR set up. Actually quite comfy on the highway like this...

A friend GAVE me the 4 into 1 header, and got a blemished peice from Dale Walker @ Holeshot.com, and that alone dropped the wieght of the bike by nearly 30 lbs. I have never been so happy to have a stock exhaust system (4 into 2) bite the dust I also score a set of original Mikuni VM33 smoothbores for it as well. According to the manual, they are good for 10-12% increase in HP (?!), and 3-5mpg increase in economy (IF you keep out of the throttle...fat chance there!).

And yeah, that bike above is a GS1150ESD. All hail the original GS!!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.

East Coast Rider screwed with this post 04-20-2010 at 01:15 PM
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
Pelicanglider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I heard a rumor that BMW was thinking about a modernized version of the R90S. I would really love to see that! I agree about the "styling" of the current crop of available street bikes. A bit too sharp and angular and they all look like props for the Transformer movies. Of course, I think a round headlight improves any bike.

But, I give a big thumbs up to any manufacturer thinking to enter the modern classic market. They're less money than the originals are fetching, these days.
Pelicanglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,420
I would love to see a '72 Kawi H2 motor in a non-elastic frame, like a Spondon. That motor with chambers is one of the coolest sounding motors I've heard.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #11
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Adventure Rider #799
Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt
there was a fellow back home with one of the original "factory" versions. we all thought he was insane.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt View Post
That is a Z1RTC....
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Rider View Post
I have an 82 GS1100EZ...prepping running gear from a "2nd gen" (2001-2006) Bandit 1200 for infusion onto the GS. Triples, forks, brakes, rims and swingarm. Swingarm will be machined to fit the GS's frame, and spools welded to accept dual shocks in the rear.

The triples will be machined to accept the GS steering stem. I won't do any mods that require modding the GS's frame permanently. I'd like to be able to return to stock if needed for some reason.

I had it set up with first generation ('88) GSXR1100 running gear, clip ons included. It was a straight bolt on experience. Rear rim fit into the stock swingarm no prob. I did switch to a 530 chain from a 630. What a difference in handling and braking! The Bandit set up should be better, though, since the forks are cartridge type, as opposed to the damper rod forks of the early GSXR's. Can't wait to get her back together!

Here she was with the GSXR set up. Actually quite comfy on the highway like this...

A friend GAVE me the 4 into 1 header, and got a blemished peice from Dale Walker @ Holeshot.com, and that alone dropped the wieght of the bike by nearly 30 lbs. I have never been so happy to have a stock exhaust system (4 into 2) bite the dust I also score a set of original Mikuni VM33 smoothbores for it as well. According to the manual, they are good for 10-12% increase in HP (?!), and 3-5mpg increase in economy (IF you keep out of the throttle...fat chance there!).

And yeah, that bike above is a GS1150ESD. All hail the original GS!!

Finally got a scanner and this post reminds me of my GS1100E.

check out the ATGATT

John
Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 769
Great vintage pic, I have a similiar old bikini fairing hanging in the garage. Also digging the 70 Plymouth wagon in the backround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Finally got a scanner and this post reminds me of my GS1100E.

check out the ATGATT

John
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote