User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
SL350 muffler options

NOS mufflers for old SL350s are extremely rare and when they finally sell on eBay, I have seen them over $1200. Can't do that.

My K1 can't pass inspection this year cause of a hole. Last year I had a muffler shop weld it. That lasted about long enough for last years inspection.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find any aftermarkets that are black and have the upswept angles. Most are short, loud and chrome.
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
You could try this guy: http://www.marblesmotors.com/. There are some reproductions, also very expensive. I bought a used set from him for a KO. There is not a lot of options. You could always refinish some chrome aftermarket mufflers in black.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King
You could try this guy: http://www.marblesmotors.com/. There are some reproductions, also very expensive. I bought a used set from him for a KO. There is not a lot of options. You could always refinish some chrome aftermarket mufflers in black.
That link says they are no longer selling the repros. When they did, it was $1000 - really out of my league for a daily rider.

I am thinking about some kind of tin can/JB weld patch. What I really want is an inspection sticker.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Ron Bullard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by LashLarue
That link says they are no longer selling the repros. When they did, it was $1000 - really out of my league for a daily rider.

I am thinking about some kind of tin can/JB weld patch. What I really want is an inspection sticker.
That may be your best bet. When I still had my SL (sans original mufflers), I searched high and low for options. Decent original mufflers are scarce, and often command high $$$ for what they are.

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
young&agile!
n00b

Oddometer: 3
First time post here :O. Anywho I have my Grandpa's 1973 sl350 and the mufflers were in terrible shape. We kept trying to fiberglass patch them, muffler patch, anything you can think of .

Anyways I ended up having my cousin braze the small holes, and put pieces of tin over the bigger holes and braze the tin on. I have a few hundred miles on it since then. It is still holding so maybe if you could find a good weld/brazer you could get them fixed.

I had the same trouble as you though...couldn't afford and or find replacement mufflers. So I was running straight headers for a while and cracked the header from the vibration since nothing holds it other than the muffler. Well sorry I couldn't be much more help than that but good luck
young&agile! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
My K2

I just went out and looked to see if there were any useful markings on my SL 350 K2. Sorry to say that I didn't find anything. A previous owner appears to have taken some short reverse cones and had a piece of tubing bent and welded to the inlets to closely match the original configuration. They are louder than I would prefer but not awful, were originally chromed but painted black. If I was sure they were "keepers" (just found the bike before snow, haven't done anything or even ridden yet), I would probably have them stripped and powder coated.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,368
I remember those rusting out when the bikes were still current.. Let's see some images of the cancer. A talented sheet metal guy can fabricate some patches for the entire underside and weld them on with fairly decent looking results.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
LashLarue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
I remember those rusting out when the bikes were still current.. Let's see some images of the cancer. A talented sheet metal guy can fabricate some patches for the entire underside and weld them on with fairly decent looking results.
See post 27.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
I got mine from here:
http://www.dropbears.com/o/overlander/exhausts.htm

They fit nice and look very original.
YES they are pricey!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote