User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 465
Solo Chick Nicomama Zips on Over to Overland Expo 2010

How life unfolds and the people and events that are placed in our paths to help us reach our dreams still amaze me. This 3 day Overlanding event known as Overland Expo 2010 was a prime example of people coming together to inspire and be inspired by adventurers who shared stories, education and products that encouraged us to explore our worlds, both inside and out.

The one inspirational woman responsible for pulling together such a motivational exploration event is director Roseann Hanson. Roseann takes pride in presenting the first event that encompasses education, conservation, and inspiration, while getting families and women involved in huge numbers. I was so excited to meet the woman who single-handedly corralled a great team of volunteers, educators and vendors, all the while spreading awareness of the conservation of our land. But, what I was equally excited to find was that Roseann in person is one of the warmest, most caring and wonderfully positive woman I have ever met who has pulled off such a huge event. Here she is with her husband, Jonathan Hanson the executive editor at Overland Journal, one of the large supporters of the Expo...

This exciting one-stop three day event was on April 16, 17 and 18, and was the second year to provide a large venue designed to educate and inspire people to get out and discover the world. This year the venue was located at the Amado Territory Ranch in Amado, Arizona, south of Tucson...

This was the perfect location for the event, and I was not the only one to feel the "magic" of the event in unison with its surroundings.

I appreciate your patience in receiving this ride report. I hope some of you see inspiration in how my life is unfolding right now, because I do at this point. As soon as I got back from this wonderful event, I was given the news that I lost my home to foreclosure as we were in the middle of a loan modification process. It is all meant to be as we choose to see these events as blessings sent to us to shake us onto the path we are meant to be on.

Welcome to the next ride and chapter of my life...the magic of the Overland Expo, 2010.

nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,252
Oooh that sounds like a great event! Totally subscribed and waiting to hear all about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 382
Nicomama,

First time poster here, so please forgive my n00bness if I don't know proper etiquette or bring enough beer and sammiches! I've followed all your ride reports and have greatly enjoyed your style, wisdom and positive outlook.
It saddens me to hear of your recent news from the heartless banking industry. I've never experienced foreclosure but have come close enough to know that it can be a very tough thing. I know that your open heart and mind will allow the universe to provide what you need, however .

I will definitely be looking again at some of your dual-sport products and I hope that you see great success with your designs and business ventures.

Even as a complete n00b, I think it's safe to say that you have a lot of sincere friends on this site.

Rackemcrackem screwed with this post 05-17-2010 at 01:43 AM
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,712
Sorry to hear about the house You'll bounce back, though, for certain.

Looking forward to this RR, as we all have with all your others!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 210
I was glad to see the starting of another one of your RR's. I have followed and enjoyed each of the others you were kind enough to post here. Please accept my sincere sadness at hearing of the foreclosure on your home. I truly don't understand the reasoning behind so many of them, but you have the right attitude and I am sure things will work out for the best for someone as talented and self assured as yourself. I wish the best for you.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Happy to see you riding and reporting, I'm sorry to hear about the house. I've been in business for 21 years now and I can tell you there are highs and lows, I'm sure a Lady with your talents will make a pretty quick comeback. I was ready to call it quits a few years ago, but decided to hang in the fight and now am closing on a commercial property and opening a garden center. Dig in and fight for the life you want and it will come. My best to you and your family.

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
Hey Nicole,

Thanks for posting my story in your RR. It was a pleasure meeting you in Amado. Perhaps our paths will cross again some time!

Did you get into this storm on the way?

That's hail everywhere. And no where near the worst of it.

Phil
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Neocryptica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Solo

Subscribed! Can't wait to see how your RR turns out...I have too few friends with your kind of spirit, and I applaud you for being you.

Almost every ride I go on is solo, and I don't hit many rallies, but getting out into the great wide nothing (everything) is how I clear my head on long days and weekends. Planning a solo trip to summit Mt Evans and Pikes Peak soon.

Hard to get gnarly on a street bike, but much to her chagrin, she usually does it just fine
3) Crash and burn, reflect on why in the hospital - Bitterest
Neocryptica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,062
Thanks for the kind words.

I just got my copy of the Overland Journal. You and me are both in it sister!

There's also a nice shot of the Adventure Rack on your bike!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,733
Fantastic!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
The one inspirational woman responsible for pulling together such a motivational exploration event is director Roseann Hanson. Roseann takes pride in presenting the first event that encompasses education, conservation, and inspiration, while getting families and women involved in huge numbers. I was so excited to meet the woman who single-handedly corralled a great team of volunteers, educators and vendors, all the while spreading awareness of the conservation of our land. But, what I was equally excited to find was that Roseann in person is one of the warmest, most caring and wonderfully positive woman I have ever met who has pulled off such a huge event. Here she is with her husband, Jonathan Hanson the executive editor at Overland Journal, one of the large supporters of the Expo...

This woman looked very familiar to me, but I couldn't remember where I had seen her photo.

Yesterday it came back to me and I checked my library; the Hansons wrote a book about Kayak Touring and she was featured in most of the photos. So, behind those dynamic personalities is also a wealth of kayaking and kayak touring experience!

It's all about people getting out and doing things...

Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
Cheetaz
Overland Expo

Oddometer: 55
Nicole,

Scary story, so glad you are okay . . . I just went and checked all my straps and cut a few. THANKS for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025
This woman looked very familiar to me, but I couldn't remember where I had seen her photo.

Yesterday it came back to me and I checked my library; the Hansons wrote a book about Kayak Touring and she was featured in most of the photos. So, behind those dynamic personalities is also a wealth of kayaking and kayak touring experience!

It's all about people getting out and doing things...

Harry
Too cool, Harry - yes, Jonathan wrote several sea kayak how-to books back in the 90s (he ran some of the first tours in Sonora). I was the cheap model . . . ready to kill him after a couple times, like when we were shooting how to do a self-rescue (getting back in a boat by yourself, in a choppy sea) - he kept having me capsize, get back in the boat (which is hard!), and then do it again and again and again!

Motos are much easier to self-rescue, in general, and there are not things lurking around that can take a bite out of you

Nicole, thanks for the great story on the event, I hope folks here can come next year. It's going to fill up fast, but it will be amazing.
1989 Honda NX250
Cheetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Oisin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
well done! :-)

very good.... and your very brave! :-)
Oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,803
Interesting thread and cool overland type stuff.

But, some rookie mistakes.
Always run on the top half of your tank touring on a motorcycle, always.
Especially with such undependable ranges you are getting.
I had to learn (majorly into reserve limping into Crater Lake Or). Scary, to me, running out of gas.
As a babe... , you probably will get assistance quicker , but also leave yourself open to potential trouble.
Forgot tools, bummer!

And those are some looong straps to dangle down that far.
I tie off loose ends to themselves or to the rack/luggage.
I also use safety pins to tie down straps.

I will use backpacking as a comparison. The bigger the backpack you have, the more you will carry. Its inevitable. All of a sudden you are lumbering along, burdened.
Carry less! You and your bike will be happier at the end of each day.
I struggle each ride with that.

Oh, I also stand on the left peg to throw my leg over.

Your writing and photos are excellent as always nico.
We live it through your tales.
Keep after it!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 465
Support from you guys is better than suspenders and a belt

BigDogAdventures.com/Mark, so glad you enjoyed the Expo pics and description so far. Your FJ will love ya for getting it adventure-ready. I know my next car will definitely have more adventure personality.

Here is my '04 Forerunner backed up to the curb, so I could load Jack on my beloved Mototote by myself to take it to the shop for my skid plate fitting...

Skid plate...

Anodized blue for the older blue DRZs...

Mark and SaraHP, the Overland Journal is by far the best quality adventure exploration magazine out there. Both Mark and I and so many subscribers out there read it from cover to cover.

This last issue I loved reading about Roseann's "Overland Chef's" piece: "Beyond tinned meats and jerky", Preparing quality meats for long trips.

In this article, Roseann, describes the process of drying and storing ground beef and gives you a recipe to throw it in on the trail. Try this:
  • Starters & Drinks - Ice-cold Tecate and limes, fresh vegetables and salsa dip
  • Dinner - Ground beef on flour tortillas with black beans, squash, cheese, and cabbage
  • Dessert - Seared watermelon and orange blossom honey
Funny, that I read this article after already preparing my food for the Overland Expo trip. Here is how I prepared my ground beef. Like Roseann, I used organic extra lean ground round.

First, I sauteed onions in a heavy cast iron skillet. Then I sauteed the meat making sure to break it up into tiny and even bits. Then drained it and patted it with paper towels in a strainer to soak up the extra fat (that is what turns it rancid). Then I added it to the onions...

Then I spread it on a cookie sheet and placed it on the rack of a preheated oven at low heat (about 150 degrees) with a rolled up towel to keep the door cracked open for ventilation. Stirring every so often for 6-8 hours should get thoroughly dehydrated.

Then what I do to reconstitute it for a quick meal at night is put a serving size in a small thermos and pour boiling water in with it from breakfast's coffee water and let it rehydrate all day...

And, voila. Just add it to some instant side dish like this Indian fare from Trader Joes and it's a quick meal for a tired rider...

But if you're a gourmet chef on the road like Ara Gureghian, then packaged meals just will not do. I love how he finds local fresh produce and meat wherever he and Spirit call home for the night. I was lucky enough to be invited to share one of his meals that he "just whipped up". I called it a feast.

Here is Ara sauteeing the thin pork steaks in olive oil and delicious seasonings...

The finished product had homemade salsa atop the savory pork steaks and I dolloped a couple spoonfuls of Palek Paneer (Indian spinach, ginger and garlic) next to the pork, and Baby, I was in heaven...

Neocryptica, I bet you would look awfully cute with some Chickie Doo Dads in your hair. Just remember to wear them low and outside of the helmet. Otherwise, you'll have one blazing headache and be no fun to your fellow riders ; )

SaraHP, always such a joy to have you here, Mama. Yes, let's hit the road together. We'll have a screamin' time. Say, could you imagine the fun we'd have if we invited the fun-loving, quick-witted beautiful Brit Lois Pryce to shatter the fun barometer?! Let's call her up...

I bought Lois' second book "Red Tape and White Knuckles" about her amazing solo bike adventure through Africa to support my solo chickie riding mentor. You can also find her maiden voyage and hilarious break out of the gate winner, "Lois on the Loose" at the above link, as well.

EastCoastRider/Mike, yep, sounds like you, too, had your share of underwear-ruined, bungee-sagging, tail bag-shredding story of your own. Thank heavens we're all here to tell the tale.

Thanks Fishyhead, Roseann and Oisin for thanking my lucky stars that I'm here to tell the tale, too.

Tall Rob, break out your wallet my dear buddy, because if you're like me, there's no price tag on living life to its fullest. At the end of our lives we won't remember how much things cost, but we will remember if we don't get out there, because of money.

Harry94025 and Roseann, I love that Jonathan wrote books on kayaking, and even better that you supported him through the whole process with ocean stunts for his awesome book photos. What a trooper!!! I sure hope he didn't have Jaws music playing on the boat.

Maxacceleration, yes Max, my moves have been definitely Rookie to say the least. But hey, that's why I don't let embarrassment and ego stop me from sharing my stories, because I know someone out there might learn something from my mistakes. Plus, it's all part of the adventure. I think it would be a little boring if I got from point A to point B without having to talk to another human being about life's little foibles.

But, thanks so much for your encouragement and support. I do write these reports for you guys.
nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote