User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
GB OP
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,388
Flat tire prevention! TyreGuardian Puncture Protection System

What do all riders dread when out on the open road? Yup, getting a flat tire. I hate flat tires, especially getting a flat at speed! It's scary, to the point that I have installed a tire pressure monitor. But I've often wondered why automotive run flat tire technology hasn't been applied to motorcycle tires. So anything I can do to reduce my chance of having a flat is money well spent. I've come across this TyreGuardian puncture protection product and thought I'd try it and bring it to the attention of ADV inmates, as a valuable time saving and safety product. It works in both tubeless and tubed tires and best of all, it doesn't make a slimey mess of your wheels when the tire is removed. I've managed to pull out a nail out of my rear tubed tire and the product worked as intended. No air loss.

This product is easy to install and reasonably priced. TyreGuardian has a web site where you can calculate the amount of product to put in based upon your tire size. I used one bottle to fill both my front and rear tires. Maybe I put too much in there, more is better!

TyreGuardian creates a thin latex glove like lining for the inside of the tire. TyreGuardian protects from air loss from punctures up to ¼” in diameter for tubeless and 1/8” diameter punctures for tube type tires. It does not matter if the nail, screw or whatever stays in the puncture, TyreGuardian migrates to the puncture and seals it. It is not a one puncture product. TyreGuardian is good for the life of the tire. When I was pouring the product into my valve stem, I spilled a bit and the trick is to let it dry, then you can just peel off it, no mess, no fuss.

I've contacted the US distributor and he's agreed to provide ADV inmates with a discount. Info at the bottom of this post.

One of the nice things about TyreGuardian is it is not nasty or slimey and won’t make you or your mechanic unhappy when it is time for a new tire. You can pull it out of the tire in one piece if you like or leave it in place and it can be recycled with the tire.

Youtube demo:

It’s easy to install, takes 10 minutes or less. Take the weight off of the tire, deflate the tire by removing the valve core. The bottles come with a valve core remover and a short piece of tubing to put over the stem of the bottle and the tire stem. Squeeze in the correct amount, replace the valve core, air it up and take a 5 minute ride. It’s that easy. If you get some on your hands just use soap and water to clean up, or let it dry and peel off.

Youtube demo on a bike:

I've used one 250 ml bottle to do the front and rear, putting 150 ml in the rear and 75 ml in the front. In the pic below, it says you can treat 4 to 8 tires, maybe I put too much in my tires.

The retail price is $29.95 for a 250ml "Cycle" bottle which will treat 4 to 8 tires depending upon the size of the tires. The "calculator" on the www.tyreguardian.us site will calculate the amount required for the tire sizes.

I've contacted the US distributor and he's agreed to provide ADV inmates with a 10% discount, and as an introductory offer and for a limited time, Jim, the US distributor will offer ADV inmates an extra 15% for a total of 25% discount to the first 25 inmates to contact him via PM. His username is: Max Bialstock

I'm #1 on this discount list

I will sticky this thread in Vendors for a while to give inmates a chance to learn about this important safety product and I have asked Jim aka Max to respond to inmate questions in this thread.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 12,184
Same installation method on tubed tires?

This product will definitely be going in my friend's F650, as she has little knowledge of roadside repairs.

PM sent to Max.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
GB OP
Mod Squad

Yes, same install on tubed tires. The only caution is to squeeze the bottle slowly, or you may get some splash back if you squeeze too hard
Also, I think it's best to treat one tire, go for a ride to distribute it around the tire or tube, then do the second tire and then go for another spin.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Nice catch GB.

I've been using the RideOn sealant for 2 years now. I pulled one brass staple from the rear tire earlier this summer. Don't know if it punctured the tube yet, but plan on replacing the tire in a month or so, so I'll be examining the area closely. Can say that there is no loss of pressure over time.

The TyreGuardian seems to last quite a bit longer (treat more tires for a similar cost). W/ the RideOn, each tire took something like 5 or 6oz, used two of the three 8oz bottles they sent me.

Will MAX be making an appearance here? I'm wondering what makes the TyreGuardian different from RideOn, RhinoTire, or other market names.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Thanks Gadget Boy!

Hi and thanks for finding TyreGuardian Gadget Boy!

The inmate discount is 10% using Code "TGADV" at our website http://www.tyreguardian.us

This discount code is active and you can order product direct from the website.

As Gadget Boy said pm me and the first 25 inmates will receive a code for a 25% discount. I will start a thread in the vendor area with this information, but you don't have to wait for that the discount is available now.

Prevent Flat Tires
http://www.TyreShieldUSA.com
Max Bialystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You
Nice catch GB.

I've been using the RideOn sealant for 2 years now. I pulled one brass staple from the rear tire earlier this summer. Don't know if it punctured the tube yet, but plan on replacing the tire in a month or so, so I'll be examining the area closely. Can say that there is no loss of pressure over time.

The TyreGuardian seems to last quite a bit longer (treat more tires for a similar cost). W/ the RideOn, each tire took something like 5 or 6oz, used two of the three 8oz bottles they sent me.

Will MAX be making an appearance here? I'm wondering what makes the TyreGuardian different from RideOn, RhinoTire, or other market names.
Thanks for the question "See-Double-You". Let me tell you what TyreGuardian is not compared to the competition.

It isn't nasty or slimy. Soap and water removes it from your skin if you get some on you. In addition your mechanic (if you use one) won't have a fit when he breaks the tire down for replacement. Some of the competition really creates a "mess". What you see in the pictures Gadget Boy supplied tells the story.

TyreGuardian creates a "thin protective layer inside your tire". Tire balance is not affected and you have added very little unsprung weight.

The product is not flammable nor is it water soluble. TyreGuardians toxicity is very low, making it safe to handle during installation and requires no special equipment for installation. As Gadget Boy said it can be recycled with the tire.

Our product is not expensive. TyreGuardian requires Less product for puncture protection and is good for the life of the tire resulting in a very favorable return on your investment.

Thanks to Gadget Boy for finding our product and contacting me. The product is new to the U.S. although it was developed and has been successful in Australian and New Zealand under a different trade name for the last ten years.

Prevent Flat Tires
Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You
Nice catch GB.

I neglected to mention in my first reply about TyreGuardians ability to seal the puncture whether the staple, nail, screw or whatever is in or has been removed from the tire. TyreGuardian will stop air loss either way.

Prevent Flat Tires
Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Ninthlord
Cadmium Enriched

Oddometer: 282
I'll give it a try

I was thinking of this very topic while working on the bike earlier today. My only experience is with the goopy stuff in my ATV (LP) tyres.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
His username is: Max Bialstock
I'm a little worried here...

Did Max want to sell you shares in his company?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFarmer
I'm a little worried here...

Did Max want to sell you shares in his company?
DirtFarmer I believe you and I have the same taste in movies! John Wayne and Zero Mostel two of my favorite (sadly gone forever) actors.

I have always admired "Max's" coiffure and his way with the ladies! Although my "little old lady" keeps tight reins on me. Sadly I don't have an ownership position. If I did I wouldn't be selling shares. I would want them all for myself!

Prevent Flat Tires

Max Bialystock screwed with this post 07-04-2010 at 10:47 AM
Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,869
Interesting product, and sparks some thought.

1. I have been using the glue/rope style plugs for many years on trucks and tubeless m/c tires, with great success. If I were to get a LARGE hole in a tire, and the Tyre Guard product was not able to plug it. Would the old glue/rope style plug still work? I think tubeless tires on the GS, is an important feature.

2. So when you ride, the product naturally goes to the outermost portion of the tire, away from the side walls. I think this is acceptable for on road, typical puncture situations. In a TUBE situation, say on a dirt bike, you often want to run low pressures, in the 10 to 12 psi range. But the lower you go, the more susceptible you are to pinch flats. If the TyreGuard product goes to the outer most circumference of the tube, will there be any product to plug/stop air from escaping, from a puncture on the side or inner circumference of the tube?

3. Could this, or a similar product be applied to the spoke nipples on the inside of a rim?? In an effort to eliminate the tube? I know this is a loaded question, but you've got me thinking. Seems to me your tire pressure would have to be pretty high to keep the bead seated. Therefore it would not work for dirt bikes. This is where the NueTech TUbliss system comes in. (No need to answer this one, just thinking out loud.)

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder
Interesting product, and sparks some thought.

1. I have been using the glue/rope style plugs for many years on trucks and tubeless m/c tires, with great success. If I were to get a LARGE hole in a tire, and the Tyre Guard product was not able to plug it. Would the old glue/rope style plug still work? I think tubeless tires on the GS, is an important feature.

2. So when you ride, the product naturally goes to the outermost portion of the tire, away from the side walls. I think this is acceptable for on road, typical puncture situations. In a TUBE situation, say on a dirt bike, you often want to run low pressures, in the 10 to 12 psi range. But the lower you go, the more susceptible you are to pinch flats. If the TyreGuard product goes to the outer most circumference of the tube, will there be any product to plug/stop air from escaping, from a puncture on the side or inner circumference of the tube?

3. Could this, or a similar product be applied to the spoke nipples on the inside of a rim?? In an effort to eliminate the tube? I know this is a loaded question, but you've got me thinking. Seems to me your tire pressure would have to be pretty high to keep the bead seated. Therefore it would not work for dirt bikes. This is where the NueTech TUbliss system comes in. (No need to answer this one, just thinking out loud.)

Thanks!
Hi NWBoarder,
Thanks for the questions. I'll do my best to answer them.
Yes to your first question. You would need to clean the TyreGuardian from the puncture edges so the plug adheres to the tire. Then TyreGuardian will seal around the plug.

In high puncture situations with lowered air pressure for traction, I would increase the amount of TyreGuardian in the tube. We recommend this for high hazard areas where you might get 3 or 4 flats a day, every day.

I looked at the NuTech system. Very cool. I would definitely use TyreGuardian with their system. We would not recommend using TyreGuardian as a way to seal the spoke nipples.
Thanks,
Jim

Prevent Flat Tires
Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
CycleRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
TyreGuardian

Just want to thank Jim Thomas of TyreGuardian for the prompt delivery of a product that I believe will have many of us feeling a little (to a lot) safer when we pull out onto the freeway, where anything can happen, anything can be laying in our path, and on 2 wheels, "it" happens fast.

I would like to get this thread started so we have someplace to consolidate our experiences with TyreGuardian, both the Product and the Company.

So far, Jim has been nothing but a class act, responding promptly to my questions and the delivery of his product at a great price. Even encouraging us to allow others to "jump in" with us on the placement of our orders with a very nice one time discount. There is still a nice discount being offered to all ADVRider members.

Has anybody had an opportunity to actually do an installation yet? About how long does it take? Did you take it to your dealer or mechanic to have it done? Do you think it compares favorably to it's competition in performance and cost?

I would like to know what others are thinking, or have I just bought some false sense of security?

There is a "Sticky" on the forum that provides a great introduction to this product. It's worth a look.

Tom ...

CycleRider screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 08:04 PM Reason: Links Added
CycleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
GB OP
Mod Squad

I would recommend you install it yourself, but do one tire at a time. Use the supplied valve core remover, let the air out, stick the supplied clear hose into the valve stem, slowly start pouring the liquid to the desired amount, and let it flow out of the clear tube then remove, reinstall the valve core, fill with air and go for a ride. Caution: when removing the valve core, do it slowly and put your free hand over the valve area in case the valve core goes shooting out from the air blast you can sort of block it from flying away.

I put the bike on the center stand, did the rear wheel first, ran the engine, put the bike in gear and let the rear wheel spin for a few minutes, then did the front and went for a ride. If you spill some, don't panic. Let it dry, even on your skin and then it just peels off like a latex skin. Or, you can just wash it off before it dries.

Thanks Jim for the great deal and service
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #15
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I would recommend you install it yourself, but do one tire at a time. Use the supplied valve core remover, let the air out, stick the supplied clear hose into the valve stem, slowly start pouring the liquid to the desired amount, and let it flow out of the clear tube then remove, reinstall the valve core, fill with air and go for a ride. Caution: when removing the valve core, do it slowly and put your free hand over the valve area in case the valve core goes shooting out from the air blast you can sort of block it from flying away.

I put the bike on the center stand, did the rear wheel first, ran the engine, put the bike in gear and let the rear wheel spin for a few minutes, then did the front and went for a ride. If you spill some, don't panic. Let it dry, even on your skin and then it just peels off like a latex skin. Or, you can just wash it off before it dries.

Thanks Jim for the great deal and service
My pleasure, thank you for the kind words. Gadget Boy your description of an installation is perfect.

If you are as hairy as I am, it's best to wash it off with soap and water before it dries. It will take some hair with it when you peel it off!
Jim

Prevent Flat Tires