ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
The Lure of the Dalton

Something a little different this time. In this thread, I will try to pick out some of my better photos from the Dalton Highway/Haul Road and post them with just the date and time taken, as well as the approximate location, and leave out the "ride report" dialogue. These won't be in any particular order, just as I happen to run across them in perusing and sorting through various photo folders. That means there will undoubtedly be duplicates, as I have reached the stage in life where I can hide my own Easter eggs.

Having seen many noteworthy photos from other riders over the years, I would like to invite others to post their own photos in this thread as well so that future travelers can see what it is (in addition to being the farthest north they can ride in North America) that makes people come up here, accept whatever challenges the road and weather might present, and go back home feeling that they actually enjoyed the ride.

Now for the photos.

July 4, 2008 2:00 PM At the top of Beaver Slide. looking north toward the Arctic Circle (just out of the photo in top right) -

July 4, 2008 6:30 PM Along the Dietrich River, around Mile 230. One of my favorite stretches of the entire Haul Road -

June 6, 2007 11:30 PM A toklat grizzly sow at the side of Ice Cut. She had a yearling cub with her so I didn't wait for her to get any closer -

June 6, 2007 10:30 PM Somewhere on the coastal plain - a bull caribou with antlers in the velvet -

July 4, 2008 11:30 AM Looking south at the end of the pavement at Mile 49.5 as two riders get to the end of the third-from-the-last stretch of gravel southbound -

July 1, 2010 5:00 PM Colleen Lake at Deadhorse, still about 1/3 covered with ice -

July 4, 2008 7:00 PM Chandalar Shelf, a roughly 3-Mile wide elevated plain between the headwaters of the Dietrich River and the bottom of the climb to Atigun Pass.

August 8, 2008 2:30 PM Roller Coaster Hill - the south side, with a motorcycle descending -

May 29, 2010 11:00 AM Looking downstream under the Yukon River bridge at Mile 56 -

July 1, 2010 7:00 AM Mountains on the west side of the Atigun River catch the morning sun's rays -

July 11, 2009 11:00 AM The fireweed this year and in 2008 was exceptionally brilliant. Taken around Mile 31 -

July 2, 2010 2:30 PM The road and the pipeline seem to go on forever, with foreboding clouds towering over the Brooks Range mountains ahead -

July 4, 2008 7:00 PM From halfway up the steep climb to Chandalar Shelf, this is the view toward the headwaters of the Dietrich River, which is just a small stream at this point -

A break, with more to come.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,232
great shots!!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Must have just missed you by a day or so.
Funny how I have read about people reaching down to touch lake Collen thinking it was part of the ocean. When the ocean is miles from there.
At least I know why (besides security) you can't see the ocean on your own now. If there were no private roads, you couldn't walk the distance to the ocean over the swamp and muskeg.
The skeeters would eat you alive.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,417

Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,629
Cool thread Here we go: July 30th, 2008 leaving Deadhorse, going south, approaching Brooks Mountain Range

TomTom63 screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 06:19 PM
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
Cool thread Here we go: July 30th, 2008 leaving Deadhorse, going south, approaching Brooks Mountain Range

Great! You've got the idea. But what's that white stuff on the ground? This was taken in July, right?

PS: That orange sign signifies the distance on the pipeline to Pump Station 1, but if you subtract 2 miles from that number you get the distance to Deadhorse by road as well.
Haul Road Primer
Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
Great! You've got the idea. But what's that white stuff on the ground? This was taken in July, right?
Yup, July 30th. Actually, I checked the date again before I posted. Should have seen the stupid look on my face when the "white" mountains came into view on our return trip
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

August 8, 2008 7:30 PM A few miles south of Coldfoot, a rainbow in the Koyukuk River valley plants the pot of gold squarely on the Trans Alaska Pipeline -

July 4, 2008 2:30 AM The early morning sun on the north side of these Brooks Range mountains and tundra slopes paints a scene of peace and serenity -

May 30, 2010 5:00 PM The Dietrich River curves gently to the south to flow past the west end of Sukukpak Mt -

July 1, 2010 6:30 AM From the tight switchback at the bottom of the south climb to Atigun Pass this valley runs back up into the Endicott mountains -

July 1, 2010 6:00 PM The newly erected Aurora Hotel, on the shore of Colleen Lake, provides a stark contrast to the industrial appearance of the rest of Deadhorse -

June 30, 2010 8:00 PM From about Mile 185 some of Wiseman's buildings can be seen on the opposite side of the Koyukuk River -

May 30, 2010 10:00 AM A cloudless sky and near-perfect lighting help Slope Mt stand out against the bare, rolling tundra -

July 4, 2009 6:00 AM Just north of Fort Hamlin Hills Creek the fireweed has taken over much of the surrounding terrain, much to the delight of this photographer -

June 7th 2008 2:30 AM Looking back down at the Atigun Vally from the north side of Atigun Pass, with the sun shining up the valley out of the north sky -

July 4, 2008 3:00 PM Taken from Mile 160 looking north toward Coldfoot - the pipeline snakes southward across the boreal forest-covered terrain, bound for tidewater at Valdez -
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
YeeHaa
Fang it!!!!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63 View Post

Why is the pipeline so wiggly. Why isn't it just built straight??

...it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
YeeHaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

June 7, 2008 1:30 AM East of Galbraith Lake, with the fog finally below me and the sun hitting the north side of peaks along the Atigun River valley -

July 4, 2008 1:00 PM From the overlook above Mile 86.6, all the traffic that could be seen from that vantage point -

July 4, 2008 5:30 PM Sukukpak Mt provides a scenic backdrop for a remarkably clean KLR -

May 30, 2009 1:30 AM Two-thirds of the way to the top of Atigun Pass, snow-covered ice brings the climb to a halt -

May 29, 2009 7:00 PM A brief rainshower has the deck of the flatbed climbing Roller Coaster Hill matching the mud on the road -

July 4, 2008 8:30 PM With beautiful weather over the 4th of July weekend, people were camped the length of the Haul Road, like this family at Kuparuk River -

August 9, 2008 1:00 PM With Franklin Bluffs providing a backdrop, these muskox graze between the Sag River and the Haul Road -

May 29, 2010 2:30 PM Grayling Lake, at Mile 150, always seems welcoming -

July 3, 2010 11:00 AM Just outside the Arctic Circle Sign wayside the view to the south shows the long climb of Beaver Slide -

July 4, 2008 9:30 PM Near Mile 313 the Sag River skirts low hills as it flows north past Pump Station 3 -
Haul Road Primer
Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman
Must have just missed you by a day or so.
Funny how I have read about people reaching down to touch lake Collen thinking it was part of the ocean. When the ocean is miles from there.
At least I know why (besides security) you can't see the ocean on your own now. If there were no private roads, you couldn't walk the distance to the ocean over the swamp and muskeg.
The skeeters would eat you alive.
We were traveling pretty slow - at least for me - as we were aiming to get as many good shots as we could on this trip.

Thanks for adding one of yours, but I know you have lots more great ones from up there.
Haul Road Primer
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
We were traveling pretty slow - at least for me - as we were aiming to get as many good shots as we could on this trip.

Thanks for adding one of yours, but I know you have lots more great ones from up there.
I've got hundreds of pics. Just going through them is work, but nice work.
I didn't post this one yet though.
Once you've ridden the Dalton and seen the surrounding desolate country nothing else comes close.
I really think this is the best ride I've ever done.

ricohman screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 10:34 PM
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
teamchaos
That should work!!

Oddometer: 119
AWESOME pictures!! Thank you for sharing.

My ride reports:
Troy, OR
Glacier National Park
Dayton, WA
teamchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,353
In........

Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
frijole
Clickin'

Oddometer: 897
Rick, this was my favorite trip too. Let's think about a Dempster trip someday. Maybe Alcan Rider wouldn't mind joining us? :)
frijole is offline   Reply With Quote