User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Michelangelo OP
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,594
Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo thread!

I did a search and didn't find anything so I thought I'd start one for the Turbo Yamaha's only. Please no Kawis, CX's or Suzis. Let's keep this for the Yamaha Turbo guys-current or past ownership.

Pics, write-ups, experiences.
I'm not a current owner but with 6 bikes in the garage, I've found that none of them are suited for longer touring. With that, I'm considering a 650 Turbo for some 2-up with my wife.

Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
No offense, but I always thought the Yamaha's were the ugliest of the turbos. That fairing looks like something from battlestar galactica.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,283
Once again, I miss the days when the sportiest of machines had center stands, not to mention reasonable passenger accommodations as compared to the whore perches of today.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
I'll admit to being ill-informed about these bikes; I'll throw out a few questions and try to avoid sounding too dumb.

Air cooled? Turbo looks to be under the chin fairing? low enough pressure to avoid a blow off valve and an intercooler?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Yamadavidson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
There are lots of other bike I would consider before any of the 80s turbo bikes, none of them were very good. I think the GN85 Suzuki was about the best but they all suffered from turbo lag and excessive weight for their engine size. As far as two up unless you are both kind of small you will be crowded on any of them. If your after an older bike to tour on go find a Kawi concours, goldwing or Guzzi and you will be much happier.
Yamadavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Michelangelo OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadavidson
There are lots of other bike I would consider before any of the 80s turbo bikes, none of them were very good. I think the GN85 Suzuki was about the best but they all suffered from turbo lag and excessive weight for their engine size. As far as two up unless you are both kind of small you will be crowded on any of them. If your after an older bike to tour on go find a Kawi concours, goldwing or Guzzi and you will be much happier.

Again, if you do not own or have something positive to contribute about these bikes. Please do not post. I would like to keep this thread related to fans and enthusiasts of the Seca Turbo who are wanting to contribute.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett the nerd
I'll admit to being ill-informed about these bikes; I'll throw out a few questions and try to avoid sounding too dumb.

Air cooled? Turbo looks to be under the chin fairing? low enough pressure to avoid a blow off valve and an intercooler?
Air/Oil cooled.

Turbo is behind the engine about under the swingarm pivot, the right side "exhaust" pipe comes right off of it.

No intercooler but the right pipe is the relief valve for the turbo.

I had one of these for close to 15 years.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder
No offense, but I always thought the Yamaha's were the ugliest of the turbos. That fairing looks like something from battlestar galactica.

Styled by Hans Muth, who also did the original Suzuki Katana, and BMW R100RS and R65LS, among others. You can see similarities in all of those bikes.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
I still have one, for sale.

They are very fun and reliable bikes. Mine only has 9600 miles on it.

I would not, however, consider it a very good distance touring bike. Lots of fun for day trips though.

5'8" and 230 pounds for reference.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Kawasaki ZX750 turbo is the only one that made real power, right at 110 hp. Virtually the same top speed as a GPZ1100.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli
Kawasaki ZX750 turbo is the only one that made real power, right at 110 hp. Virtually the same top speed as a GPZ1100.
+1

I bought my GPZ Turbo new in '86. Still got it, little over 8k on it now. I'd post a pic but the only one's I have are on film from the 80's and 90's.

It's fast but handles like crap. The Yam Turbo's handled better but weren't anywhere near as fast. The only bike in my little one-horse town that could spank me back in a drag race back then was a V-max.

All the turbo's look dated now.
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
The engine side covers on my bike said GPZ, but the cover of the owners manual said ZX750 Turbo. Times were a changin. The battery had a probe in one of the cells that would activate a light on the dash when battery fluid would get low. Loved the digital turbo boost gauge. The bottom end and cylinders came from a GPZ 750, the head from a KZ 650. The compression ratio off boost was 8 to 1, very low, to prevent pre-detonation on boost.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo
I did a search and didn't find anything so I thought I'd start one for the Turbo Yamaha's only. Please no Kawis, CX's or Suzis. Let's keep this for the Yamaha Turbo guys-current or past ownership.

Pics, write-ups, experiences.
I'm not a current owner but with 6 bikes in the garage, I've found that none of them are suited for longer touring. With that, I'm considering a 650 Turbo for some 2-up with my wife.

Although I like bikes in this category for nostalgia if anything else, I'm not sure why you want to get it for 'longer distance touring,' ...especially 2-up, as it is REALLY NOT suited for that. I suppose you are using that angle to get approval from your wife...whatever works for you.

tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Oddometer: 20
Laugh Just bought an 82 red Turbo Seca

Howdy y'all. Just picked up a beater '82 Turbo Seca done in a red color (stock?) and began tearing it down for a look. Last registered here in Ca. 2001, so it's been sitting over 10 years. Unfortunately, while unloading it I let it slip off the ramp and it went down on the right side although the back wheel was already on the pavement. Not too hard a fall but smashed the right front turn sig lens-- anybody got a spare?.Need a new windshield too!!!.. I noticed a lot of oil on the back side of the engine fins so it appears to be a leaker and not well cared for. Anyway, found a pristine looking 2nd turbo 650 motor in S.D. on ebay and bought it, so once I get that home I can dig into the top end and sides for inspection and make sure all is well before sticking it into the frame. I read a couple of good blogs here and I am thinking of swapping forks and brakes off another bike like others have done to increase braking and front shocking action. I heard the FZ600 forks will slide into the triple clamps and give better action overall, is this true?.. I have already upgraded a couple of pre-2008 KLR650s with both YZ450 forks and DRZ400 forks setups and these swaps made the KLRs awesome bikes to ride with REAL stopping power.....anyone know the best and easiest fork swaps for this 650 turbo Seca?? One blog said the FJ1200 triple clamp set will fit the steering head with minor mods?? Anyone done this yet?......I plan to sandblast this bike down to bare steel and build up as I have done on some others I have rebuilt, so a few improvements will be in the works as I plan to keep the bike over time...I had the 1st GSXR750 back in 85 or 86, a few '75 Norton 850 Commandos, BSAs, FJ1100, GPZs, KLX650s, KLR650s, and much more since I ain't no spring chicken! But I want to have fun rebuilding this unique little 650 turbo....any input will help....thanks!!
Kentuckysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Michelangelo OP

I wish I had experience with these bikes, but sadly don't. Like you, I've done multiple front end fork swaps. My latest is an Ohlins front end on a rebuilt XR600R that I'm making into a flat tracker. I've done XR650R forks on a Honda Transalp as well.

I hope you will keep us up to date with the NOW pics and the build as it progresses. Man, if I was you I'd go all out with the front in swap and do something like an R6 front end!