Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
DDTHLD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I own a Tdub and want a scooter

Hey All,

I currently ride a Yamaha TW200. The Tdub has been paid off so I'll probably keep it. I am thinking about adding/switching to a scooter and I really like the idea of not needing to use a clutch anymore. I would like a scooter that has similar top speed and cruising speed as the Tdub. My only real requirement is 16" wheels and something that can handle "country" roads.

What are your suggestions? Thanks!

Don
DDTHLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Any 150cc or so scooter, even the crappy ones, can do TW200 speeds (which is 50-55mph tops, right?). Any 150cc or so scooter will be light enough to do fine on country roads.

Why exactly do you have to have 16 inch wheels? Have you ridden smaller wheeled scoots to compare? If not, you might be surprised how well, and how essentially scooterish, some of the smaller wheeled bikes handle. The Zuma 125 sounds like it would fit your requirements apart from wheel size. I know that the Honda Sh150i and Kymco People 150 have 16" wheels and that Vespa's don't. You could check the specs on Aprilia, Piaggio, SYM and other KYMCO models easy enough from their web pages to see their 16" offerings.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
DDTHLD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Seems like the 16's would be more stable at near highway speeds. Plus I guess I'm really looking for something that can easily cruise @ 65, so I hop on the highway as needed.

I do like the looks of the Zuma 125 and it appears that there is a significantly better selection of tires for that wheel size.

I've being looking hard at the BV Tourer 250 and HD200. I'm just trying to see what might be best. I don't plan on riding two up, I don't anticipate touring (at least yet) and will mostly use as a tool to obtain "daddy time".

I do have a bunch of hills in the area so I don't think a 50cc scoot would work without some performance parts.
DDTHLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
aprilia scarebo!
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
I've been told the garage is overly full of two-wheelers but the Helix and TW200 are the ones in front and get the most use. I'll acknowledge that they're an odd pair but I'm sure having fun on them. I ride with someone that keeps telling me I need bigger wheels but then I go every place he does. It may just depend on willingness and desire.

Lots of Helices around here right now for $1500-$2000. I should be buying them up but then there's that problem mentioned above.

-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
The Piaggio, Aprila, Kymco all appear to be great reliable scooters. Depending on your access to dealers you might want to take a look at the Honda SH150i as well.

I suspect the differences are minimal (although for me the 100 cc difference of the Piaggio and Aprila make them more appealing).

The most important thing is to sit on them and check out the things you think are important- storage, styling, brake config, seat height and comfort.

I'm partial to Piaggio since i have a Vespa, but get real tempted by Japanese scooters due to availability of dealers everywhere.

Also, used is good- tons of scooters get sold after a year or two with very low mileage. Deals to be had!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote