User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Scooter with a sidecar.

Searched and have not found much on this subject.

I am thinking that a scooter, with a small sidecar, in the 250cc range would be a great replacement for just about any and all my needs around town. Small enough to get into tight places, yet versatile enough to carry a weeks worth of groceries or the dog. I have driven bikes with sidecars, so know the difference in handling and their limitations.

If any of you Scooter Gurus out there have done this, can you chime in on what models might be best and how to go about it. I would prefer to go with something up to 15 years old, if they have enough of a frame to handle it. I realize that a subframe will probably be needed.

Any pics would also be very much appreciated.

Dave
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
drizzle
mini-adventurer

Oddometer: 44
not all that uncommon

probably not the kind of scooter you had in mind, but still...
drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, actually, as I have to admit to being an "old fart" I like old things. I ride an Airhead and prefer older bikes. So the older styled scoots do have a certain appeal to me. I saw a very cute older Vespa with a sidecar in Victoria B.C. Was really impressed. But think it was only around 150cc which I think may be a little taxed to drag a chair around. Maybe I am wrong. Just don't know that much about them.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall
Well, actually, as I have to admit to being an "old fart" I like old things. I ride an Airhead and prefer older bikes. So the older styled scoots do have a certain appeal to me. I saw a very cute older Vespa with a sidecar in Victoria B.C. Was really impressed. But think it was only around 150cc which I think may be a little taxed to drag a chair around. Maybe I am wrong. Just don't know that much about them.
You're right on your statement "150's may be a little taxed". I had a Stella 150 with a Cozy sidecar. It was a hoot for my dog and grandchildren, however, quite underpowered. In my opinion, at least 250cc minimum to attach a sidecar. Sidecar rigs are a ton of fun, particularly for grocery shopping, dogs and grandchildren.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, so if I am going to look for a scooter to put a sidecar on, what should I look for on the scooter?

Should the scooter have a full frame, like a motorcycle?
Will the scooter require any extra modifications?
Do some scooters take a sidecar better than others?

It is pretty obvious that the sidecar will have to be pretty light. Have looked at the smaller Cozy ones which seem to be about the right size and they have ones that are designed for scooters. And they come with mounts that they call Universal Sidecar Mounts. Just wonder how "universal" they really are.

I really like the looks of the older Vespa style scooters. Do any of you gurus have any preference as to make or model that would work best?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
OK, so if I am going to look for a scooter to put a sidecar on, what should I look for on the scooter?

Should the scooter have a full frame, like a motorcycle?
Will the scooter require any extra modifications?
Do some scooters take a sidecar better than others?

It is pretty obvious that the sidecar will have to be pretty light. Have looked at the smaller Cozy ones which seem to be about the right size and they have ones that are designed for scooters. And they come with mounts that they call Universal Sidecar Mounts. Just wonder how "universal" they really are.

I really like the looks of the older Vespa style scooters. Do any of you gurus have any preference as to make or model that would work best?
I am certainly not a guru. I bought my Stella, which already had the Cozy attached. However, I do believe that about any scooter would work well with a sidecar, but a munimum of 250cc, better yet, a 400cc or larger.

Their are several scooter sidecar rigs on Ebay, plus a new Cozy without the scooter.

Good luck in your search. You'll enjoy the adventure!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
DaveBall- Given that you're already into Airheads I think if it were me I'd go for a Ural and get the benefit of 2 wheel drive. They look 100 years old, and you can find them under $5k pretty easily.

They're designed to have a sidecar, and you've already got the skills to hold one together.... By the time you find a scooter and put a sidecar on it you'll have that much $$ into it.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
DaveBall OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have looked at the Urals and like what I see, except for the pricing. Around here, they are like hens teeth and the pricing reflects that. New ones are pushing of $17,000Cdn after taxes, PDI, etc. Used ones, are seldom under $7000, if you can find one, and then it is usually a pre 1999 model. To buy one out of the USA involves a lot of other issues, the worst being able to get to properly assess it without traveling all over the place to find the right one. Costs are an issue.

I have toyed with the idea of adding a sidecar to my current bike, 1981 R100RT, but like to be able to ride it without the sidecar as well. The other bike in the stable is my wife's R45, which would be an excellent candidate for a hack. But the problem there is convincing "She who must be obeyed" that she really needs it. Then, if I can convince her, she would probably like it so much I would never get a chance to ride it. Hmm, conundrum.

Will continue to keep looking for the right scooter. It appears that you can attach a sidecar to just about any of them.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
All good points.

To answer your earlier question about older Vespas, the P200E as pointed out already is really your only decent choice for a couple reasons- It's the most common of the older Vespas you'll find, it has the biggest engine they offered and with 12 volt ignition and battery can actually be a reliable scooter, it's boxy looking and therefore ignored by the majority of the vintage scooterists as not collectable, so the prices are lower than nearly all of the other models. Oh, and all parts are still available from a bunch of suppliers.

Downside - it's still a scooter with a 200cc 2 stroke engine that will have to pull you, your sidecar and whatever else you're hauling. Your range of use will be very limited.

I love the idea of putting a hack on one of your BMWs by the way.....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote