User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,767
Pablo's Transalp

I remember seeing a new Transalp in the Honda Dealership when I was in high school. It looked alien; I didn't know what someone would use that type of bike for. That was in Louisiana where back country exploring is done on an air boat. After moving to the mountain states I began to realize why someone would want this type of bike.

Trevor (MountainsAndRivers) from Telluride saw I had an NX650 and contacted me wanting to know if I wanted a free Transalp. Of course I do, Duh?!

It was in rough shape:

Build Index:
Other builds

Pablo83 screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 06:46 AM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
This sounds interesting!

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

The story is that the last registered owner was a know abuser of motorcycles. He sold it to someone in non-running condition and then moved to Panama to open a bar. The new owner never got it running or registered and then had to move out of his house into an apartment where he did not have room for it.

Trevor noticed the abandoned bike and knew the owner so he gave him a call and asked about the bike. It was free to whoever wanted it. Trevor contacted me about it and was nice enough to drive it here when he came in to attend the MonkeyButt ride. Trevor's the man.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

The bike came with a box of body panels and parts.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

I think there are one or two good panels on the bike. The bike would really cost a fortune to restore. I don’t have a title yet and it looks doubtful that I’ll be able to get one from the previous owner. I don’t know the condition of the engine. The starter was removed and the back wheel was locked up.

Right now, the bike's too complete for me to part out, so here's the current idea...I love the look of flat-track bikes.

I've thought about making one with a couple different thumpers I had, but the projects never took off. Of all the flat trackers I've seen I think the V twins look the best and now I have a chain-drive, V twin engine bike that's perfect for a project bike.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Here's my inspiration

Here's what I have:
Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

This bike is a natural flat tracker. I stripped off everything I don't want and attached a muffler and air cleaner for visual reference. The pipe and filter are for another project so they will not end up on this bike, but I'm guessing the final product will be similar.

Man this bike is dirty. One positive point about not being able to use the front head on both cylinders is I really like the stock pipe routing.

The rear subframe is going to have to be modified as well. It's just way too big.

Unfortunately that's all the updates I'll have for quite a while. I have a policy of not spending any money on a bike that I don't have a title for. I did verify with the local sheriffs office that the bike has not been reported as stolen, so I felt comfortable stripping it down, but the buildup will have to wait for the paperwork to be completed.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
SuperMARTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Just so you know, Transalps really like their airboxes... If you really plan on running her this way, be prepared for some serious tuning time spent trying to get her to run well...

Ask me how I know.
SuperMARTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMARTO
Just so you know, Transalps really like their airboxes... If you really plan on running her this way, be prepared for some serious tuning time spent trying to get her to run well...

Ask me how I know.

Do you have a build thread on your bike?

I hope to source a couple small flat-slide pumpers for the project, and at the elevations I ride in (6k-12k') I know the carb tuning will never end.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #10
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
great project! I'm in...

Cheers, Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,490
Why not chop up some POS v-twin cruiser to use as a flat-tracker instead of a Transalp? Why not simply restore the TA instead?

Seems like an awful waste of a good bike to me .....
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Well crap...

I'm finished with all the big stuff on my winter project, so it's time to get the paperwork done on the Transalp so I can start working on it. I went by the DMV and got a copy of the current "Title established by surety bond" checklist. The first step is to get a certified VIN inspection. I had the Sheriff over today to do it, but he can't do one on a non-roadworthy (non-running) motorcycle. So essentially I can't get a title for this bike (salvaged title or regular) until after I'm done with the build. I really can't put this kind of effort into a bike that I don't own yet. I'll need to find another solution.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Maybe try through a different state. In Arkansas, State Police does the inspections.

V
Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
toslow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Pablo it's not hard to get a title in Colo I got one for a BSA that i'm gonna restore you can get a "rebuilder's title"which puts the bike in your name and you have indefinitely to rebuild it you have to get the paper work from the DMV and your right the sheriff cannot do the vin inspection you have to take the bike to the state patrol they do it and run a check to see if it's stolen you also have to have a bike shop give you an appraised value and you have to have a "shurity bond" for it which cost about 100 bucks Bank of the West did the bond for us here in Grand Junction then take it back to the DMV and the issue you a title and when you get done rebuilding it you have to take it back to the State patrol and they inspect it for road wothyness and the stat issue a title hope this helps
toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Davincci
n00b

Oddometer: 1
T/A body parts

There is a company that I found on E-Bay that remanufactures all the plastics for the T/A. Set your e-bay settings for worldwide and it pops right up
Davincci is offline   Reply With Quote