User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Boughan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Tel Aviv

Boughan wife and I are planning a trip to Tel Aviv next year in February. Would anyone have any recommendations on reasonably priced and clean accomodations there? Any other advice, places to see, etc...

Thanks all,

Boughan,

Buell XB12X
Boughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
bzriding
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Next year February?! wow I cant plan more than a day in advance..

But anyway: im not going to mention Jerusalem's old city because that is a given.

My favorites:

- Tel Aviv harbor - for the nightlife
- Dead Sea + Messada
- "Ein Gedi" -- if you want to do some hiking and see waterfalls and all that...
- "Makhtesh Ramon" - aka The Ramon Crater

bzriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
Boughan OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you for the tips! We are very much looking forward to the trip! Any suggestions in regards to accomodations? We like to be semi budget minded, but a clean and nice place to stay is a must. Any boutique style little hotels anyone know, some really cute b&b maybe?

Thanks all,

Boughan

Buell XB12X
Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
How long are you here for, do you want to spend all of it in T-A, what are your interests, will you be hiring a vehicle, yada yada yada?

There is a lot to see over here, all over the country, so give me some clues and I'll give you some advice!
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Boughan OP
Studly Adventurer

We are planning on staying for a week (my wife, our daughter [10], and I). Mostly T-A. Boughanwife has found a cool place near the beach to stay (we are renting an apartment). It is our first time going to Israel. We like history + food. We had not thought about renting a vehicle, but would be interested in at least a day trip to Jerusalem (how feasable is that on public transportation?). I know one week is quite short, but with the school schedule of our daughter, this is all we can do. How is that for a start? All your advise is much appreciated!

Boughan
Old 08-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Gruebane
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 996
You gonna love it ..Israel is a great place..i need to get back there....

public transpport works well with busses leaving tween tel aviv an jerusalem all day as i recall and its fairly cheap to boot too.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughan
We are planning on staying for a week (my wife, our daughter [10], and I). Mostly T-A. Boughanwife has found a cool place near the beach to stay (we are renting an apartment). It is our first time going to Israel. We like history + food. We had not thought about renting a vehicle, but would be interested in at least a day trip to Jerusalem (how feasable is that on public transportation?). I know one week is quite short, but with the school schedule of our daughter, this is all we can do. How is that for a start? All your advise is much appreciated!

Boughan
Jerusalem and back with time to take a tour is more than feasible in a day on public transport, but there are also organised tours from T-A to Jerusalem and back by minibus that are reasonably priced, usually there will be leaflets advertising them in hotel foyers and change places and so on, I could grab one before you get here and have a look at what seems good so you can arrange in advance if you'd like to.

There are a lot of museums and historical sites in T-A and immediate surround, especially Yafo which is a real treasure chest and within easy walking distance.

For a ten year old there is also Mini Israel (which is exactly what it sounds like!) near Jerusalem as well as a mini theme park with rides and whatnot in the park in North T-A, and I am sure lots of other things. I can find out from friends with kids what else is good for a ten year old visitor.

Are you aware that February is winter and so not too warm, possibly raining, definitely not beach weather?

A car for a couple of days may be worthwhile, Caesaria is worth a drive for some Roman remains, Haifa is beautiful to see, and Akko for crusades history is unmissable, but all are a drive away, and probably not really doable in one day.

Then southward the Dead Sea, Masada, Mitzpeh Ramon are all drives away from T-A.

My personal view of T-A is that it is a great central base to tour from and return to in the evening for good times.

Talking of which, will you get an evening off for a beer?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
KeyboardRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
mmm…

A though one.
A very condensed place with so much to see.

Regarding the season – last time I visited, I was at that time of the year and was only with a short sleeve shirt for most of the time (probably cause I already got used to NZ weather). However, do take with you extra clothing, especially if you plan to visit Jerusalem (+800m) or the Ramon Crater (+700m). These get very cold during the winter.

Regarding the trip – I don’t know what’s your style – sit in one place and let the time pass, or be all over the place. Therefore, the following suggestion is very broad, and you will have to do the mixn’match.

Day 1: arrival, rest, car rental (see comment below) – see a bit of Tel Aviv.

Day 2: TA and the area (museums, coffee shops, bars etc.)

Day 3: the north. From TA through Caesarea National Park and then to the Sea of Galilee (Kineret) and later Nazareth. Return to TA and sleep there.

Day 4: Jerusalem. A whole day of “must see” attractions for tourists. Sleep in Jerusalem.

Day 5: the south. From Jerusalem descend to the Dead Sea. Visit Massada, then trough the small crater, pass Yeruham and into Sede Boker for a scenic view of the Zin Vadi and a visit to the Ein Avdat National Park. Later continue to Avdat itself (the remains of the Nabatian city), and arrive at Mitspe Ramon. Visit the Crater Visitor Centre, and drive into the crater if you have the time. Stay to sleep in Mitspe Ramon for the night.

Day 6: back to TA.

Note: you might have organized trips for days 3 and 4 (Nazareth/ Sea of Galilee, and Jerusalem are popular destinations). If you have – I recommend you take them, as they will save you some hassle with driving/ parking issues. If you do this – you’ll have to rent a car in Jerusalem and return at the airport.

In any case, you can always consult us here,

Enjoy,

Keyboard Rider

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes" - Marcel Proust
KeyboardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:10 AM   #9
Boughan OP
Studly Adventurer

Many thanks! These are some awesome suggestions. I have been told that the climate in Tel Aviv is simmilar to coastal Southern California (which I am very familiar with), so I do not expect beach weather. Also, February is deep winter here in Carinthia, so pretty much anything will be an improvement.

Bonsai Elephant, thank you for your suggestions! I am sure I can get away for one evening and would really enjoy a beer! Let's talk details once the trip draws closer (I'll PM you).

KeyboardRider, also really great suggestions! Massada is definately on my list (I am a history buff after all). Soo much to see, soo little time...

By the way, any recommendations on good eateries? Nothing too fancy, just good and interresting food. Thanks!

Boughan,
Buell XP12X
Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
KeyboardRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hey Boughan, sorry I didn’t see your reply before…

Ok, I avoided on purpose the food issue in my post.
And why? Warm climate and low hygiene standards may cause you to describe the tour as “a toilet bowl hugging crusade in the holy land”. From my experience around the world, locals are always less sensitive to local food, even if it is somewhat off. It’s not India or Mexico, but still…

And after the above disclaimer we can proceed:
Restaurants and bars: vibrant night life in TA means that there are a lot of good restaurants around as well as bars. They are all over town, however you can find two clusters: one near Rotchild Blvd. corner Alenby st., and nearby in Na’kha’lat Binyamin and Shuk Hakarmel (downtown/ south TA); another popular area is Ramat Ha’kha’yal (North east).
Food style ranges from Asian and Fusion to European.

I don’t know the Jerusalem food scene, but there are way less good restaurants, as they have to keep Kosher in order to survive), one recent good restaurant is called Ma’khneh Yehuda (after the name of the market it is located in – Shuk Ma’khneh Yehuda).

I can also recommend a restaurant named Diana situated in Nazareth, which food critiques praise constantly.

Street food: now we have reached my favourite part :-))
There is a lot of it, and all around. From the obligatory Falafel stands, to two-three tables restaurants that serve workers in their lunch break. The food has mainly a Moroccan-Tunisian influence, and the food is excellent. And of course my favourite – Hummus places (Khummusia in Hebrew), that serve you a large variety of Hummus based dishes. In TA area, these can be found in Jaffa (Yafo in Hebrew), mainly on Yeffet st., or in industrial zones downtown.

Another good place would be Kerem Ha’Teimanim, near Shuk Ha’karmel, which has a lot of Yemenite influenced restaurants (avoid Tsarum’s one as it is a tourist trap, but look for Za’kharia inside the market – he serves authentic Yemenite soups).

As I wasn’t there for a few years now, I cannot be too particular, but if you ask in the hotel for a good Khummusia, or a good Mis’edet Poalim (a workers restaurant), I imagine people will direct you to one.

Good luck,
Keyboard Rider

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes" - Marcel Proust
KeyboardRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Sevoman
Ever Vigilant

Oddometer: 906
just my .02

http://my-country-israel.com/en/Midd...Restauran.aspx

Best Hummus in Israel. Just sayin'.

http://www.mikesplacebars.com/

I would try to get to Eilat.

I would also get to Akko: http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/...%28Akko%29.htm

I think the Golan Heights is worthwhile, too.:
http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/...an+Heights.htm

I think you would be remiss if you didn't get to the Dead Sea:
http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/...neral+Info.htm

I think Masada is a "must see" too: http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/...ns/Massada.htm

A word of caution. If you intend to travel to any Arabic countries....the passport control folks in Israel will give you a piece of paper (rather than stamp your passport) to indicate your entry and exit from Israel. That will save you lots of hassles getting into and out of other countries if you have any desire to travel to them after this trip.

The beaches are great. The advice from the other inmates is great as well. If you have further questions...PM me.

Sevoman

Sevoman screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 06:20 AM
Sevoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Sevoman - I'm guessing your daughter is in T-A Mike's Place and not Jerusalem?

I was there last week!

I used to go a lot and know all the staff, but I'm not in there so often now.

Next time I go I'll be sure to ask for her, any message you want passed on?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
Thinking of visiting in may. Would like to meet some adv riders. Used to see great ride reports/unable to find them now.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Thinking of visiting in may. Would like to meet some adv riders. Used to see great ride reports/unable to find them now.
Come on in.

The water's lovely!

Drop me a PM before you arrive...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Jerrykap
Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer: 222
I'm coming over too!

Hello Landsmen & Landsgals?,

The wife (Joanie, my wonderful shiksa) and I will be over for our first ever trip to Eratz Yisroael. So much to see and do in so little time. But if all possible, I'd love to hook up with some fellow ADV riders to see what it's like over there. Even if it's only socially that's alright by me.

Please feel free to get in touch with me through this forum, email= jerrykap@pacbell.net or skype user name= jerrykap.

Also, if there's anything I can do for you up here in Northern, CA (Davis between Sacramento & San Francisco) let me know and I'll do what I can.

Shalom & C-ya,

Jer
Jerrykap is offline   Reply With Quote