User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
White Tenere OP
Look a moose

Oddometer: 720
Aprilia Scarabeo 500 IE-Likes/dislikes/problems

For the last year or so I've been bike less for the first time in 36 years, I cant take it any longer. I would love to get a new 1200GSA but its just not gonna happen anytime soon$$$$$

So I got an email this morning from a old riding buddy who has a 2007 Scarabeo 500 IE with less then 1500 miles has been kept in a garage under a cover since he bought it new, waxed once a month all service done at the dealer, battery tender, looks showroom new, has the Aprilia top case and both the Aprilia summer and winter windscreens.

I'm at the tail end of dealing with a 3 year on again off again battle with cancer (all is looking good now) and as much as I want to get back on two wheels I don't want to get a 500cc scooter that is gonna be a disappointment just cause it was a cheap price.
I've had almost every type of motorcycle under the sun and have been riding for 36 years, had a couple of small cc scoots over the years but never a Maxi scoot.

Not knowing anything about these I'd like to hear from some owners about there experience with this scoot.. Im 5' 11" a soild 200lbs, would this thing get me around without struggling?
I cant ride just yet but he is gonna let me take it for a weekend test ride at the end of this month..

Thanks..

Pics

White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Ragnar_Mike
Scooter Noob

Oddometer: 35
I can't give you ride impressions, but I just got a smaller engine Beo, so I've been reading up on them. 500cc is going to be more than plenty to get you around. It should be more than enough for highway speeds and getting you off the line at lights. Hell, it would be enough for somebody with 100 pounds on you.

One of the things I love about my Scarabeo so far is the ride position. I learned on a Buddy and have sat on about a dozen different models trying to find something that fits. I'm 6 foot with size 12 shoes so the fact that the floorboard doesn't crowd me is great. Aprilia is known for having nice handling scoots with good brakes.

I don't know how it will compare to riding a motorcycle, all my experience is with scoots, but 500cc, fuel injected, disc front and back, with only 1400 miles and a topcase and windscreen that's been routinely serviced? Sounds like a steal to me.

I posted some pics of my 09 Beo 200 in the scooter pic thread if you want some closer pictures. The chassis looks a bit different, but the stylings seem to be very similar, so I think they could help.
Ragnar_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
fried okra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I've got a Beo 500ie I bought new, love it. Plenty of power, 0-60 in maybe 6 seconds or a little over and top speed of around 100 mph, cruises effortlessly on the highways. It gets around 60 mpg or a tad over. I am about 5'11", 190#.

I've got a Kawasaki W650 and Harley Sportster that are fun to ride when the mood strikes but the Beo 500ie is preferable for longer rides, more comfortable and relaxing too.

The only real issue with the Beo 500ie's was the fuel line inside the tank was not clamped when built and did not do well with US ethanol fuels. This was handled by a recall but many owners, including myself, fixed it independently. No biggie.

A good info forum on these bikes is:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=23

and also there is a Yahoo "ScarabeoRiders" group too.

Now, if you could give me an approximate windscreen height dimension above the headlamp for the windscreen on the scoot as pictured I would appreciate it as I have thought about buying one of those screens :)

fried okra
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
No info to offer, just wanted to say I think it is one of the nicest looking scooters made. Good luck.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,805
I have the predecessor Scarabeo 500GT. I have had it up to 94 MPH as a test, and it will cruise all day at 80 MPH without breaking a sweat. I routinely get 60-65 MPG and get about 250 miles on a tank. They are great cruising machines. I really enjoy mine.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,021
Don't think that coz it's a scoot it will be slow, heavy steering and boring, just the opposite.
A mate has a Scarabeo 500, and when I lived near him I still had my S4R 996 Ducati Monster. At the drags my Monster used to do mid-10's, with a 60ft time of 1.7's, but on the street you don't get the chance to get your weight just right for a proper launch.
He used to line up next to me and take great delight in twisting and leaving me for dead off the lights, it took me little wheelies and into 2nd gear before I could catch his tail-lights dammit, every time! Just to rub it in, through the twisties he would sit fair up my bum, I couldn't shake him, very demoralising!
Nothing worse when your riding down the highway in 45degC heat, hanging out for the next roadhouse 50km away so you can get ink, than looking over at your mate on his bloody touring scooter doing 135kph right next to you, casually riding one-handed while sipping his drink that lives in the cup holder the bastard's put on his inner fairing......
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
AlexE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Scarabeo 500 2008 dashboard gone cracy

fuel level senson fluctuates, speedometer fluctuates as well, what could be wrong, no MIL light present.
AlexE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
fuel level senson fluctuates, speedometer fluctuates as well, what could be wrong, no MIL light present.
I've seen dashboards go out across Aprilia/Piaggio stuff, usually after a
nice rain.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote