User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
A Knight Who Says Ni OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Kawasaki W800

If this was actually imported to the US, Triumph could have some serious competition in the modern classics market. Although I have my doubts given what Honda did with the CB1100.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-w800-is-real/

A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Needs ABS.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
-and a comfortable seat and dual disks.
I guess the tank is better than the stock W650- but still...

Good start, I guess- but I didn't really see anything wrong with the 650.
I'm tired of bigger is better. (After a certain point, I don't think it is)
Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Cool bike, but it doesn't need ABS or dual disks What it needs is a kick-starter, then it'd be a bitchin' adventure bike!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
A Knight Who Says Ni OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
dual disks.
overkill for a 60bhp 800. Plus they will need to stay within a price point to compete with bonnevilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I didn't really see anything wrong with the 650.
I'm tired of bigger is better. (After a certain point, I don't think it is)
I don't think kawi thought there was much wrong with it either, but it didn't sell.
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
professir
Buttugly ol biker

Oddometer: 117
Hell Yeah!

Warning, tired ol coot rant. ABS????????? Give me a break! Like your going to speed race THAT bike????

I grow tired of the trend to want MORE and more. ABS, duel disks, detachable bags that have homing devices, cup holders, refrigerators, air compressors, AIR BAGS???????????????

When did the simple motor, 2 wheels, a seat and handle bars, oh yeah a gas tank get out of vogue????

I will keep my sporty and love it.
professir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,823
Is that for real? I'd buy one with metal fenders.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 717
I had a Kawasaki W650 it was a fun bike that turned a lot of heads.. I really like the look of the W800
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
The only thing the W800 needs is to be sold in the U.S. I would buy one and I'll bet a whole lot of middle age riders would also. Are you hearing me, Kawasaki?
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by professir
Warning, tired ol coot rant. ABS????????? Give me a break! Like your going to speed race THAT bike????
Because ABS only works on really fast bikes.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by professir View Post

I grow tired of the trend to want MORE and more. ABS, duel disks, detachable bags that have homing devices, cup holders, refrigerators, air compressors, AIR BAGS???????????????

When did the simple motor, 2 wheels, a seat and handle bars, oh yeah a gas tank get out of vogue????

More complexity does not for a better bike make. I hear you. But I do like ABS because it works!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:

Agreed!
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
devonrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
You kind of miss the point of abs.
It's not a performance enhancing accessory, and it's application has nothing to do with racing.
The fact is that situations where reflexes take over from logical thought processes can take place at 30mph just as easily as they can at 130mph.
To anyone who tells me that no one needs abs, I say this.
When you ride, do you always wear a helmet, gloves, a sturdy jacket, full protective gear ?
If the answer to that is yes, then why ?
Why do you NEED to wear those things if you're not going to make a mistake.
Is it because you lack faith in your ability to stay upright ?
Or is it perhaps that you accept that no matter how competant and experienced you are, sometimes sitations can arise that are beyond your control, so when riding, it's best to afford yourself as much protection possible.
Case for abs rested.
devonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 AM   #14
The Contractor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Most of the rest of your rant I agree with, but the ABS bit, well, you don't have to be doing The Ton to have your front wheel lose traction.

You're riding home from a rough day at work, it's 11 at night, light rain, you come around a corner at a *rational* speed, and there's a couple cops with their lights on, and pieces of car and stuff all over the road. (that one was hypothetical)

Or you're at a stoplight, and the light turns green. You don't see any traffic close (and keep in mind you have the green) so you accelerate briskly (it's a bleeding BIKE) as you enter the first lane you realise the jack a* in the second lane that you now see is traveling considerably over the speed limit and is NOT going to stop unless he pops a tire driving over your motorcycle, so you grab a handful of brake and start steering. You can feel the ABS kick in, but you're trying like f* to break the target fixation and NOT get killed. In this case the ABS keeps your front end more or less under the handlebars, and you wind up with a small case of the shakes. (that one is NOT hypothetical).

I can live without factory bags, heated handgrips, or 150 HP road rockets. ABS? Yeah, I can *probably* live without it. Most of my bikes haven't had it, but frankly if it's an option I'd spend the extra money on it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

About 1985 would be my guess. Maybe as late as 88?
[/quote]

Quote:
As in Harley?

Dude, seriously. You have a *Harley* and you complain about unnecessary accessories?
The Contractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
stevewatkin
UK rider

Oddometer: 9
Quote:

Like this................bigger is NOT always better

And this, my BIG tourer

stevewatkin is offline   Reply With Quote