ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,703
CannonTracks - Great Divide Ride

Completed the Great Divide Ride from Banff, AB to the border with Mexico.

Prepared a comprehensive .gpx to share.

One version of the .gpx contains a lot of tracks for planning. These include bicycle only, all alternates, and even Big Dog's tracks so you can compare them to the current route in the US.

The other version is a 20 track file that is ready to load and ride.

The ride report that is full of pictures of the route and road surfaces can be found here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603076

Files can be downloaded here:
http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19

The 660+ waypoints are categorized so you can sort them (fuel, camping, dealers, POIs, hazards, etc).
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Origin information for this ride.

Buy maps here:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
98Virago
98Virago

Oddometer: 91
Hi Cannonshot,

I need some help regarding GPS Routes/Tracks/Waypoints that I can download to my Garmin GPS 60CSx (I don't understand about gpx file but I know my GPS use gdb file instead).

I am planning to do the whole CDT starting on Aug 25 from Antelope NM to Montana. I only have couple more days to take-off and I am still strugling plotting my GPS routes/tracks. Please advice for an easy routes/tracks to enjoy.

Thanks for any help,
Gery

Ride Safe,
98Virago
98Virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Virago View Post
Hi Cannonshot,

I need some help regarding GPS Routes/Tracks/Waypoints that I can download to my Garmin GPS 60CSx (I don't understand about gpx file but I know my GPS use gdb file instead).

I am planning to do the whole CDT starting on Aug 25 from Antelope NM to Montana. I only have couple more days to take-off and I am still strugling plotting my GPS routes/tracks. Please advice for an easy routes/tracks to enjoy.

Thanks for any help,
Gery
Download "GDR Cannon Loader R3.GPX" from here. Open the file with MapSource. From the top line menu select "Transfer" and "Send to Device". Map sure you have a background map of some sort. Sent the tracks and waypoints to the 60Csx.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
98Virago
98Virago

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Download "GDR Cannon Loader R3.GPX" from here. Open the file with MapSource. From the top line menu select "Transfer" and "Send to Device". Map sure you have a background map of some sort. Sent the tracks and waypoints to the 60Csx.

Goodmorning Cannonshot,

Thanks so much for all the help. You and Big Dog "Mark" are very helpful to me and made me very confident that I will be on the right tracks. You guys are awesome and wish I could meet you in personal someday....

Thanks again,
Gery

Ride Safe,
98Virago
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:

Goodmorning Cannonshot,

Thanks so much for all the help. You and Big Dog "Mark" are very helpful to me and made me very confident that I will be on the right tracks. You guys are awesome and wish I could meet you in personal someday....

Thanks again,
Gery
We just want to see everyone get a chance to enjoy some of this stuff as much as we did. Have a great trip!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:

Goodmorning Cannonshot,

Thanks again,
Gery
Make sure you have installed your background maps correctly into your GPS. To check, do this:

Once you have transferred Cannshot's tracks, fire up your GPS instrument with the GPS off. From the menu go to tracks. You should see Cannonshot's route icons on the lower left of the screen. Scroll down the list until you find Track 1. Track 1 is the beginning of the route in Montana. Highlight it and hit 'enter'. Then select 'map' and hit enter. You should see the map screen come up with the tracks clearly marked. Now zoom in to see if your backround maps are working. You should eventually zoom in enough to see the road names. If they are there, you should be ready to ride.

I am using the route starting Sep 19 going south. I am also trying to learn how to use tracks before I go. I've gone over every inch of it on my laptop using my mapping software at .2 mile zoom. I think that excercise is helpful in better understanding the route details. I'll probably make a simple route sheet to mark off things like gas stops. Although, Cannonshot has done an excellent job of locating likely gas stops for my range.

Good luck and post your progress in ride reports.

Thanks again Cannonshot!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
98Virago
98Virago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Make sure you have installed your background maps correctly into your GPS. To check, do this:

Once you have transferred Cannshot's tracks, fire up your GPS instrument with the GPS off. From the menu go to tracks. You should see Cannonshot's route icons on the lower left of the screen. Scroll down the list until you find Track 1. Track 1 is the beginning of the route in Montana. Highlight it and hit 'enter'. Then select 'map' and hit enter. You should see the map screen come up with the tracks clearly marked. Now zoom in to see if your backround maps are working. You should eventually zoom in enough to see the road names. If they are there, you should be ready to ride.

I am using the route starting Sep 19 going south. I am also trying to learn how to use tracks before I go. I've gone over every inch of it on my laptop using my mapping software at .2 mile zoom. I think that excercise is helpful in better understanding the route details. I'll probably make a simple route sheet to mark off things like gas stops. Although, Cannonshot has done an excellent job of locating likely gas stops for my range.

Good luck and post your progress in ride reports.

Thanks again Cannonshot!
Thanks so much for all the tips. Cannonshot, BigDog, and some of our inmates are very helpful to me regarding GPS to keep me going. I will also try the tips you suggested to double check my actual GPS instrument to see if the Tracks are there. I admit that I still have to learn a lot about GPS mapping and be familiar how to use Tracks.

Thanks again to all,
Gery

Ride Safe,
98Virago
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
MaxEpr
where'd who go???

Oddometer: 14
Thank You Cannonshot!

GIRD (Gulfstream Idiots Ride the Divide)

Thank you Cannonshot for your effort in creating the Great Divide trax, ride reports and photos. We Hugerush (2010 KTM990) and I Maxepr ( 2009 KLR650) just completed the Great Divide 08 08 2011 at Rooseville, MT. to Antelope Wells, NM. We met several people along the route Riders and People that knew about the Great Divide route. Your way points were fantastic and saved our bacon with gas and camp sites several times. The route was pretty uneventful except in New Mexico with the monsoons and calitche mud. The rains start about 14:00 (it actually came early 13:47 on 08 17 2011 to CR42) we were 7 miles from making Hwy 117 while on Chain of Craters Byway (a.k.a. CR42) and got stuck in the calitche mud. A sheriff and a SP were actually out there looking for someone that night in a 4x4 and determined the road was washed out about 2 miles from hwy 117. The stuff is so sticky they should build houses out of the stuff. It dried out enough the next day and we back tracked the 50 miles back to Grant. I was never so happy to see dust off the rear wheel.

As well as the thanks to Cannonshot I'd like to "shout out to the DRZ400 we passed headed North 320 miles out of Roosville, MT.
Pair of KTM690s with TourTech aluminum bags. They looked too clean to be riding the divide.
Air Canada team Tim DR650 and John KLR650 met at Fleecer Ridge
Miscelanious riders that we passed
For BMWBOV John in Silver City the "Dog Lady" wanted us to let you know we went the whole distance from border to border staying as true to the line as possible.

I can't say enough good about Performance Cycle of Denver!!!! The Continental TKC80 130-80-17 rear was disapearing fast. It was new in Denver - Roosville - at about 2500 miles and it was Saturday at 16:50 and I called Bernadette (aka Bernie) and she hooked me up by placing the tire where a friend could retrieve it after they closed. a friend drove it from denver to kremmling and I carried the new one as a spare from Kremmling, CO to Antelope and back to Denver. but it was nice to have it. The TKC made the trip I'll post pictures. The point is I'll use Performance Cycle of Denver every chance I get they're great!

Equipment: used a Garmin Zumo 665 It will show a track that can be followed. I downloaded and loaded Cannonshots trax using Mapsource. The XM radio and weather was freekin awsome!! I colored the line flourecent green it seemed to show up well in day and night. I have to read the screen cleening instructions I'm certain I did it wrong the whole 2 weeks. If anyone has questions I'm no expert but could walk you through it. The thing also leaves a route or track on the screen if you set it up to. I'm going to try to down load my little trail to a computer file for prosperity. All in all it went well. New Mexico was open from the fires and no one hassled us going on the trail. We talked to someone that got turned back.

Good luck to all the other Inmates on the GDR!!
MaxEpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
^ exactly!
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddgfarm View Post
Wanted to post a big thank you to Cannonshot for these CDR tracks. I just finished riding the CDR for 12 days and my buddies and I used these tracks. It was great having the all the waypoints on my GPS so you could get a sense of upcoming sites as we rode along. After a few days we didn't bother taking paper maps with us anymore.

We made it from a couple of miles from the Canadian border to about Cuba, New Mexico. We took a day to explore Yellowstone. We did all the "fun" stuff, including Fleecer Ridge, Lava Mountain Trail and Wickes Tunnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
^ exactly!
Thanks! I'm glad they served you well. Sounds like you had a great trip!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
jprhode
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thanks and a few comments

Just wanted to add my thanks for the extremely helpful tracks and planning file. We had zero issues related to routing. In our experience, it would be wise to pay attention to the waypoints highlighting muddy or rocky/steep sections. Some of them are a bitch under the wrong circumstances.

Here are a few comments related to difficult or boring sections, and some suggested workarounds. We rode from South to North, so bear that in mind. We started in Silver City, NM. I'm on a GSA, and Cal was on an F650GS, both fairly heavily loaded.

About 70 miles North of Hwy 152 (by Silver City) you come to a junction in the middle of nowhere between what's labeled as Highway (!?) 163 and 159. Both are dirt. It rained a ton around the beginning of August, and 159 was badly rutted and we later learned from other riders that sections of it were muddy and awful. Given the ruts, we took 163. There several sections of bad sand near the junction, but after that it was a dirt superhighway to US60.

Leaving Grants, NM going North, the first 30 miles or so are awesome. Then you hit a bit of pavement, and turn right on San Lucas Rd. Keen observers will note several waypoints along this section that highlight washes, mud, erosion, etc. The first wash we hit was full of water, and we turned around. I later talked to someone who made it through this section on a lightly loaded 650, and he wished he skipped it. It's kind of a crap section anyway. Suggested reroute is to take 603 to 509, turn right at Pueblo Pintado on 197 and then into Cuba. This way you get the great forest section and skip the muddy desert.

Between Cuba and Abiquiu, all is well until you get to the rocky sections of 31 Mile Rd. A good workaround if you need one is to take NF103 to NF316 and then Hwy 96 to Abiquiu. I made it over the first rocky section on the GSA, but it was more than Cal wanted to subject his bike to. And, the workaround was really nice.

The washouts North of Del Norte could be a handful. But, if you take the highway east out of Del Norte you very shortly come to a well marked turnoff for La Garita - dirt superhighway and a good alternate in the rain.

IMO, the whole section from Salida, CO to Como is problematic if it has rained recently, which it seems to do every afternoon this time of year. We took the highway, so I have no good suggestions. I really wonder if taking the COBDR North of Hwy 50 and then reconnect with the CDR near Kremmling would be better.

The river crossing (labeled DeepFord) near Hwy 134 was running 3' deep when we went around it. I'm sure this can be done by many, but when there is a very short highway running through basically the same scenery, why bother?

We elected to skip the Divide Basin section in WY because it is flat and boring. instead, from the CO-WY border we took CR-4 aka Haiwatha Rd to 430, and then 191 North from Rock Springs. This is also flat and boring, but it cut ~ 60 miles out, and we were able to go very fast and get it over with.

North of Butte, MT, we skipped the interstate frontage road section (and the tunnel) and instead took Hail Columbia Gorge Rd through Lowland campground up to Boulder River Rd and then rejoined the route at the Interstate. Very pretty section of forest, and some great campgrounds. Worth a look.

Again, just my opinion but the section of the formal route between Swan Lake and Columbia Falls, MT is intended for people on mountain bikes and fairly silly to ride on an adventure motorcycle. Left, right, left, right, left and on and on through neighborhoods etc. Just take hwy 35. It's very pretty, lightly traveled, and you skip the better farms and gardens tour and save a lot of time vs 20 mph through people's front yards.

Similarly, if you must take a picture of the Canadian Border, continuing North on North Fork Rd along the western edge of Glacier is a better option in my opinion vs going to Roosville. There is an abandoned border crossing there to photograph if you want, and this is a very pretty road. We went into Glacier and camped at Bowman Lake, which is really nice, and I'm sure Kintla Lake is as well.

Anyway, hopefully some of that might be helpful for someone.

cheers
Jason
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
decodent
CyberGypsy

Oddometer: 1,404
Wow Jason ... great info. Your workarounds sound good. I rode the CDR 3 years ago from south to north and was glad I did. It was nice ending up in the Canadian Rockies vs. the scrub brush and tumbleweeds around Antelope Wells. Some of my favorite riding was in the arroyo country of northern New Mexico. Anyway, congrats on a great ride!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
jprhode
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by decodent View Post
Wow Jason ... great info. Your workarounds sound good. I rode the CDR 3 years ago from south to north and was glad I did. It was nice ending up in the Canadian Rockies vs. the scrub brush and tumbleweeds around Antelope Wells. Some of my favorite riding was in the arroyo country of northern New Mexico. Anyway, congrats on a great ride!
Thanks amigo - dunno if you remember, but we met on the ride in 2010. We passed going opposite ways in the mud somewhere between Como and Hartsel, CO. If I remember correctly your GPS was possessed.
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,402
I recently completed the northern section from Jackson WY to Banff so can't comment on the southern portion. But . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprhode View Post
North of Butte, MT, we skipped the interstate frontage road section (and the tunnel) and instead took Hail Columbia Gorge Rd through Lowland campground up to Boulder River Rd and then rejoined the route at the Interstate. Very pretty section of forest, and some great campgrounds.
I should go into Basecamp and make a gpx of this and send it to Cannonshot to post with his other tracks. The section of the route from Butte to Boulder was pretty awful. Your suggestion looks WAY better.

Quote:
Again, just my opinion but the section of the formal route between Swan Lake and Columbia Falls, MT is intended for people on mountain bikes and fairly silly to ride on an adventure motorcycle. Left, right, left, right, left and on and on through neighborhoods etc. Just take hwy 35. It's very pretty, lightly traveled, and you skip the better farms and gardens tour and save a lot of time vs 20 mph through people's front yards.
Good point. I liked the nice relaxed roads that went through the Swan Valley but the section that went through the suburbs did seem a little silly.

Quote:
Similarly, if you must take a picture of the Canadian Border, continuing North on North Fork Rd along the western edge of Glacier is a better option in my opinion vs going to Roosville. There is an abandoned border crossing there to photograph if you want, and this is a very pretty road.
I'd call that an option but not necessarily a better or worse one. The ride past Camp Tuchuck and over Bald Pass into Eureka is a pretty good section of the route. Wouldn't want to skip that. From Eureka north to Roosville is totally skippable but that's only a fast 10-mile section so no big deal. Maybe do both?