User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 688
New France New Scotland

and the Cabot Trail on a Big Gray Pig...

Note:
1. For day tripping in New France skip to page 7. Lots of pics and spot report is on page 8 from FredGreen.
2. For South West Nova Scotia Trip planning that the collective may be up to go to this link - all welcome - Southwest Nova Scotia Riders Trip Planning thread (NEW)
3. Page 14 - Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, Bear River, Cape D'or
4. Page 15 - The Big Grey Pig passin Gaspe in Quebec.
5. Page 16 - Cabot Trail Fall Colours in October
6. Page 17 - New France again - Oct 2011 - it never gets old

Note: As of April 26th, 2011 this RR will be in Day Trippin' since most entries are from single trips. Thanks for stopping by...

Thankfully the day had arrived for my not often enough holidays. The plan was to leave home and drive to Meat Cove. That was it. Anything else was a bonus. The Cabot trail would be assaulted by default as it was in the way between my house and Meat Cove. The roads and a bridge or two had been washed away a few weeks back heading to the Cove, but I was confident that all would be set back in place for my arrival. There is no schedule or must do items other then go to MC.

Background info: Prince Sinclair discovered the New World in 1398 (yeah I know this is contrary to what you were told in school) Meat Cove is at the top of Cape Breton in the province of Nova Scotia (New Scotland). If you care to notice the flag of Nova Scotia is suspiciously similar to the Scottish flag.

yellowknife screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 04:11 PM Reason: Adding details on areas covered
yellowknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Day One enroute to Meat Cove

The plan today was to head to Guysborough to check out a nice little campground and local feeding hole that goes by the name Rare Bird Pub. I just put a google map together for day one - this was a long day and the temperature Bit in the morning. Overnight the temperature dropped to 11 celsius. Route 7 was scenic with some improvements and some rough patches. Don't buy supreme in Canso - the bike took a lot of convincing to start on day two, and this wasn't repeated anywhere else on this trip. Use the controls to check out the route.

View
New Scotland - New France in a larger map">
View New Scotland - New France in a larger map
Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Sheet Harbour - Henley House Pub

Henley House is open at Noon on Sundays. Not 11:59. After rattling the door, I was let in to enjoy some stale coffee. Let me be clear on one thing. Mess the coffee up and it is an uphill battle to make me happy after that.

I ordered the Steak and Ale dish and was underwhelmed by the tiny morsels of meat and large fluffy tasteless crust. I should have kept looking for a pub as one down the street looked pretty busy and this one had one patron. Lesson learned - moving on.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Picture of the Gray Pig

In case you are not aware of what a Big Gray Pig looks like - here she is loaded for some mileage. The trip covered about 2800 km in the week. She glides well on the road but is a pig when dropped, which happened three times in one day in New France.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Golden Province

So day one started with some slab and bad food for lunch. The afternoon got a lot better when I hopped on Route 7. Many signs looked promising including this one near Goldenville. Nova Scotia has a history of many small Gold mines, none of which belong to my family. Dang!
The dirt road was fun but it quickly turned into a trail, and so I turned around and resumed my trek on route 7 giving up on my quest for Golden Riches.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Port Bickerton

The road to the Port Bickerton lighthouses was recently washed out and replaced after a fine North Atlantic storm rolled through the area. I wouldn't recommend the road for too many vehicles as it was a rough one. As for the spot, they do a $3 info tour in lighthouse #1. Basically the locals are trying to support the upkeep of another Nova Scotia lighthouse.

Talking to one of the guides - she mentioned Country Harbour's Ferry and I joked about just driving through the water to the other side. She explained that the large shrimp boats cruised up their and it would probably be too deep. These boats sail to Greenland and catch up to 800 tons of shrimp on a single trip.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,593
Caught Yellowknife at the local Motorcycle Swap Meet. Just goes to prove there's a little "Pirate" in all of us...

Is that a H.O.G. Bag you're holding there YK? New doorag or assless chaps?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Caught Yellowknife at the local Motorcycle Swap Meet. Just goes to prove there's a little "Pirate" in all of us...

Is that a H.O.G. Bag you're holding there YK? New doorag or assless chaps?
Darn - I have been caught going to the Dark Side.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Day trip to Masstown Nova Scotia

The plan today was to meet Slowphil and Antennas at the Gran Pre Just Us Coffee Shop before heading through the Rawdon Hills towards Masstown.
My main reason for choosing Masstown was to sample in their words the Worlds Best Seafood Pie. First things first - drink some coffee to warm the bones at the RV point.

After a short break we hit the road with myself leading. Not really a good choice to lead since I had no map and vaguely knew the direction we should head. Works for me I guess!
(I learned all my leadership skills in the Airforce)
After a few stops to figure out the route we arrived in Masstown - located on exit 12 off of the 104. To get to the restaurant head to the market, not the lighthouse.
The lighthouse sells fresh seafood, but the restaurant is the long building.

This is the dish Slowphil had, meatpie, greek salad and a coffee.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

Masstown Seafood Pie

Here are some pictures of the seafood pie. This may be the worlds best and I would highly recommend it. Fresh scallops, shrimp, home made crust etc etc.
Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

My meal was safe from Slowphil as he doesn't like seafood that much hence the meat pie.

See that large white object - fresh local scallops etc, with the pie served in seafood chowder and fresh roll, plus a greek side salad.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
yellowknife OP
Is In Canada

After that fine meal

I should mention that Antennas had a pizza - kind of a safe bet on the road. Too boring for me. He mentioned a few things about his preferences like he doesn't drink coffee, yet swore he served in the army at some time. I don't know about that! Any army member I have met lived on Coffee.

we hit the road taking hwy 236 towards a former World War 2 British Commonwealth Air Training Program Base (BCATP). As usual the wind sock was straight out and perpendicular to the grass runway.

Big Blue skies - imagine what this place looked like over 60 years ago.

I had the Big Grey Pig pointed into wind and contemplated a few high speed runs on the field and
I would have except the grounds keeper was watching us too closely. After the airbase we rode back
to the coffee shop in Gran Pre. Plenty of hours on the road and a great time was had by all.

yellowknife screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 04:08 PM Reason: add more pics
yellowknife is offline   Reply With Quote