Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Rookie wanna-be weldor starting to make some cool things!

Ok - a little foreshadowing...

I took a stick welding course back in '06 at a local community college and did well with it, but I never followed it up. I didn't have a welder to keep practicing with, so whatever I learned was eventually lost.

Fast forward 4 years.

I have so many ideas in my head of things that would make my life easier that only require simple fabrication skills. One day I started mentally adding up everything if I had to go out and buy it. Buying a welder was less expensive - if I could use it, of course.

So, I get the itch again. MIG, TIG? More research. More hair pulling. More moving money around via rotating MC equity. What to do, what to do?

Well, to get the ball rolling, I sold a very nice DL650 that I just bought and was only 3 months old.

Nice bike, but they make 'em every day. I'll get another eventually. I just needed the cash flow.

Ok, bike sold. Now what? Well, I picked up a very nice, hardly used Miller Syncrowave 180 SD on ebay. Then I bought all sizes of tungstens, collets, gas nozzles, filler wire, you name it.

Hmmm....I still have some cash from the DL. I'm not smart with money. But I am smart enough to know if will disappear little by little if I don't focus it on the project at hand - setting up for welding.

So like anyone who likes to blow cash, I did the next best thing: I bought a brand new Miller 252 MIG with a 30A spoolgun. Now I can do aluminum with the TIG or the MIG.

Ok. The cash is all gone. Whoops! I have no materials! Good going, genius. I knew I should have held off on the MIG. Oh well, it's in the garage now.

Next up - I wired a 50A plug in the garage. Perfect for both welders. Plus I bought some 80 ft3 tanks and had them filled. So now I have some welders, but absolutely no knowledge of them and still no materials.

Hmmmm........

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! I work at a data center, and they are upgrading their UPS battery racks. They are TRASHING all the old metal! Suh-weeeet!!!!

So, I hauled in my trailer, and loaded that puppy to the gills.

Everyone knows that you need a good table to get in a proper position for any kind of welding. So, with free metal scrap in hand, I went to work. I broke out the MIG, burned a couple of test beads, and just went for it. Here is one of my very first projects...a heavy duty table with a drop down vise...

It is roughly 6' wide x 3' deep. I made the vise drop down so that I can load full sheets of metal on the table with no obstructions. Plus I made the top the way I did for future plasma cutting. I took breaks frequently and drank lots of milk to try and stave off "metal fume fever" since mostly everything was galvanized. This table took me about a day to make, and I have made modifications to it since for holding tools, a port-a-band bracket, and pockets for markers and pencils and other small items. Total cost? About 10 bucks of gas and filler wire using .035 ERS70-6 and CO2/Argon mix.

My main goal off all of this was to attempt to make my own aluminum panniers, and all the materials for them is currently in the mail. I have made a bunch of other things and will post pics up when I take them. I've only been welding for about 2 months, but I'm getting better with practice.

More piccys to follow...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 02:23 AM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
I like that vice swing off.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 285
Looks very respectable!

I look forward to the pannier development

I may have to make 3 sets next year if a deal on new cannot be struck.
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy
Looks very respectable!

I look forward to the pannier development

I may have to make 3 sets next year if a deal on new cannot be struck.
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm eager for the big brown truck to show up.

I made a 3" square cube out of 1/8" aluminum scrap from work and it took me 2 days because I'm pretty picky. It's now a glorified paperwieght.

After that I made a bashplate for my KLR that turned out pretty nice for a first timer. I need to get pics of that as well.

I'd be happy to fab some items up for you as soon as I have the skills.

I used to have my own custom painting / sign shop / leatherworking business for several years, and I have good customer skills. I didn't get all this together purposely for a welding business, but some extra side coin is nice, and I would be open to that.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Here is a used plasma cutter I scooped on ebay after getting some advice from some inmates. It makes fabrication much easier.

I made the cart from all the free scrap metal I mentioned earlier. The wheels are from a broken dolly that I had packratted away. I knew being a hoarder would eventually pan out.

The top of the cart is from a scrap side panel from a piece of industrial switchgear from an upgrade. I cut it with the plasma cutter.

I have since rattlecanned it satin black with Rustoleum.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 06:43 PM
Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I did this mod about 2 weeks after getting the welder...a dual cylinder rack. It's a $300 dollar option from Miller. I bought a floor model from a local distributor and it came wit a single cyl. rack, so I made my own.

It is also made from that piece of switchgear cover, and I still have some of it left! I think it is 16 ga. mild steel.

If you look closely, you'll notice a gold chain. Yep - it's from an old dining room light fixture. Packrat!

I also used 1/2" one hole straps to keep the gas line for the spoolgun off the floor. I made the spoolgun/MIG torch holder and cable rack as well. Made from scrap 18 ga. (sides), a 4" E.M.T. coupling (the radius the cables lay on), and 1" square tube (the support). Everything mounts to existing hardware of the welder itself.

The "foot" that the cylinders sit on is removeable. It bolts to the single cylinder foot using factory holes. I made it for 80 ft3 cylinders because I was told that is the largest size I can own. Anything larger need to be rented. If I decide to go larger, I would simply have to extend the rear of the foot out. The width is fine.

I rattlecanned this as well.

All materials were free except for a $5 can of paint. I'd say this took 6 hours tops. It was a fun project.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 08:28 PM
Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 285
I have the Powermax 900 with a machine torch on my CNC plasma table....Way easier for cutting profiles......And a super sweet machine a Hypertherm is too!

That workshop is way too tidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70

Here is a used plasma cutter I scooped on ebay after getting some advice from some inmates. It makes fabrication much easier.

I made the cart from all the free scrap metal I mentioned earlier. The wheels are from a broken dolly that I had packratted away. I knew being a hoarder would eventually pan out.

The top of the cart is from a scrap side panel from a piece of industrial switchgear from an upgrade. I cut it with the plasma cutter.

I have since rattlecanned it satin black with Rustoleum.
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
I like that vice swing off.
Thanks!

I also made a stand-off (not shown) that can be positioned anywhere on the bench for holding long materials. It is made with a piece of 1" threaded rod so I can adjust the height up and down. I'll take a pic of it this week.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks guys!

More progress on the DR350S racks...

Exterior welds blended, tabs rounded, and 3/16" x 1 1/2" flat bar cut 6" long and welded in the rear for ebay mounting knobs. (3/8" nuts tacked behind the flat bar)

The whole rack weighs just under 7lbs. That's 10lbs. lighter than the KLR rack out of 1" square tube. Go figure.

Again, everything is spraybombed with 3 coats of rustoleum industrial grade semi-gloss black enamel.

Now I'm just waiting on ebayed mirrors and rear signals to put her on the road.

If I have time, I'll start back on the bags tomorrow. I'm going to spray bomb them black as well.

Until next time...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 06:35 PM
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

i don't know anything so i'm just asking. is that upper mount going to support anything?
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
i don't know anything so i'm just asking. is that upper mount going to support anything?
The top bolt is temporary for mock-up. It was the turn signal location, which have been moved backwards. Now it serves as the mount for the rear rack and side racks combined.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Free materials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gents, I just got my hands on some more free "scrap" materials that were slated for the dumpster. I just brought another 4,000 lbs of steel home from work.

What I have available: 1 5/8" solid unistrut x 16' in length and heavy duty upright frames constructed of 3/16" C channel. The uprights weigh about 100 lbs. each. Edit: they actually weigh 63 lbs each.

I used the same materials to make my table, cart, metal brake, and bike lift. In the photo of this table, the uprights have had about a foot or so cut off the top.

The part of the upright cut off was used to make this homemade brake...

As you can see, there is no limit to what you can come up with.

The uprights would make great heavy duty storage racks, workbenches, or whatever your mind can cook up.

Limit? Take what you think you will use. I have plenty to go around for several people. You pick up from here (22630 - Front Royal, VA). Delivery not available.

Cost? FREE!

The only payment I ask is to go out of your way and do something nice for someone as soon as you get a chance. That will be payment enough, and it will come back to you.

PM for address.

- Kirk

kirkster70 screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 05:29 PM
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Kirk,

That's a generous offer. I wish I were closer.

I've got lots of channel and angle iron that I received from a project who's manager was sending it to the scrap yard. It's served me well for years.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thank you, Tim.

I just hate to see it go to waste. I have 35 full 16' sticks of strut and 24 racks to give away.

If I get enough interest, I have the option of getting 70 more pieces of strut and 48 more racks. (8,000 more lbs!) Yes, free.

I would never use that in 20 years. It was free for me so I have no problem sharing the wealth so to speak.

I'm just trying to save it from the dump and get it into people's hands that could put it to good use. It took me 4 hours to load and 4 hours to unload! Whew!

If I don't get much interest, I'll probably let them haul the rest to the dump, as I don't have room to store it all.

- Kirk

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 08:44 PM
Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Gents, I just got my hands on some more free "scrap" materials that were slated for the dumpster. I just brought another 4,000 lbs of steel home from work.

What I have available: 1 5/8" solid unistrut x 16' in length and heavy duty upright frames constructed of 3/16" C channel. The uprights weigh about 100 lbs. each.

I used the same materials to make my table, cart, metal brake, and bike lift. In the photo of this table, the uprights have had about a foot or so cut off the top.

The part of the upright cut off was used to make this homemade brake...

As you can see, there is no limit to what you can come up with.

The uprights would make great heavy duty storage racks, workbenches, or whatever your mind can cook up.

Limit? Take what you think you will use. I have plenty to go around for several people. You pick up from here (22630 - Front Royal, VA). Delivery not available.

Cost? FREE!

The only payment I ask is to go out of your way and do something nice for someone as soon as you get a chance. That will be payment enough, and it will come back to you.

PM for address.

- Kirk
Awsome, i'll take you up on your offer. I've been meaning to build a new base for my lathe and the uprights should work perfectly
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote