User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Cool2 The Mountains of the East

I have been inspired and amazed by all the incredible posts on this web site that I felt I had to take a shot at it. I hope it can live up to the high standards you people have established.

The mountains here on the East Coast are called the Appalachias and are actually older than the Rockies, and that is largley why they are smaller. Having said all that there are still some significantly beautiful vistas. If we couple that with the LOVE OF THE RIDE it creates a gestalt experience every time I take a ride. Nuff talkn! Showing you the Pics!

The first think I have to share is my Girl! She is my 2006 BMW K1200R. I actually have a name for her. I call her "Kira" there is a story that goes with her.

Little Country churches dot the landscape, just like this one! the plackard in the middle of the steeple says it was established in 1875. One of the newer congregations.

this church is on state route 26 in PA just over the MD, PA border north bound coming off Old Rt 40 the original National Hwy just east of Cumberland MD. It continues North through Everett PA, up to "Raystown Lake".

It is a good sized Lake and supports a lot of water activities and just a few water craft like House boats.

This brand new to me so I am just experimenting right now. Sol I am not going to big on this first post, please bear with me till I become more proficient at this. I got a ton of new pictures, since this is the first full summer I have had with "Kira". I bought her the end of the summer of 09. So with my Pentax DSLR in tow I have taken what I believe is a lot of good pics. I need a good point and shoot like I have seen a lot of you have so I can get some action shots.

I have saved the best for last on my first posting, and that is a Pic of the Woman I am madly in Love with. Even after 29 years she still has what it takes to get and keep my motor running!

See Ya'll soon!
Riff

Riff screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 09:33 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,673
Nice ride!! Love the bike too! Thanks for the sunny pics
Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
c1skout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
SHHHHH. Don't mention rt26. Did you stop at the Roadkill cafe? I haven't been there for a few years.
c1skout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

LOL Skout. The RoadKill is very close just off 26 as you cross into PA from MD. I think I need to post the Cafe's menu for some of our refined folk who peruse these threads. A couple of us where there about a month ago for breakfast. Still good home cooked food, good folks and still at a screaming price. ( a breakfast with three eggs scrambled, home fries, ham, toast and all you can drink coffee all still under six dollars. ) May not be haute culture, but it is good for the belly, and easy on the wallet.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
edsollen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Laugh

Care-full, don't bring to many undesirables to the area.
Rode from Berkly Springs to Paw Paw and on to Flintstone just last week, Beautiful area, keep on writing.
edsollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,476
Mountains, forest routes, food stops, and covered bridges---get on it

Oh and how's about some Bar Harbour (Bah Habbah)

Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsollen
Care-full, don't bring to many undesirables to the area.
Rode from Berkly Springs to Paw Paw and on to Flintstone just last week, Beautiful area, keep on writing.

Yeah Thanks Ed. I lost my head there for a second. I forgot our fine cuisine we have around here could cause a run on our area from those folks from you know where! I could not restrain myself today. got some things done around the house and took off for a ride around town and next thing you know I was checking out the street light down in Mathias WV at Lost River State Park. OOOPSS no street light oh well! Did not get any pics, and I got a great DSLR, but I need a good point and shoot. It was invigorating. Here come some more pics from our area.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Nice Nice Nice!

Subscribed
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Hey Doug and HillBilly
You are going to have to give me some wisdom here on how to convince the Fox she don't want a cruise to the Caribbean, and wants a motorcycle ride to the Mountains of the West for our 30th anniversary! Share with me your sagely wisdom that I can use to persuade her!

Well, that's going to be a hard sell I'm afraid... I'm not an advocate of motivating by fear, so I'd suggest NOT watching "Titanic" again . Better to persuade her with visions of lofty peaks, serene mountain vistas, warm sunny days of leisurely riding through the splendor, comfortable night's lodging, good food (not campfire stuff ) , and high marks if you can stay at a place with hot springs to soak in after a long day in the saddle. When my son and I rode to Jasper and back from Lander, Wyoming we were able to find places to camp almost every night that had hot springs and it made a HUGE difference in our enjoyment.

When I met my girlfriend (now wife) four years ago she had never ridden on a motorcycle before. She knew I was crazy about it so was willing to try it. I got her a comfy helmet and jacket, loaded her on my BMW GS, and headed up a good dirt road into the Wind River Mountains outside of Lander. We rode on good dirt roads for a while, cut up a mountain on a pretty rugged two-track road, had a picnic lunch out of the cooler that was in the topcase while sitting on top of an old fire lookout tower, then headed back down the dirt roads and home on some fast gorgeous sweepers coming down South Pass. When we got back to the house I asked her how she had liked her first motorcycle ride? She responded "Can we ride this thing to Alaska some day?" I knew she was The One from that moment forward. She's a rare one, though, in my experience. She would actually prefer the solitary joy of riding through the mountains to the happy swarms on a cruise ship. She wants to be warm (not hot), sleep well at night, and wants a shower every other day and that's about it. Other than those minimal requirements she's game for about anything.

I'm a lucky guy to have found this lady at my age (53), but if you ask me I'd say you are even luckier since you've been with the Fox for 30 years. Congratulations! I say after all that time putting up with a motorcycle-crazy guy she deserves to spend her anniversary any way SHE wants to, and I'd suffer through a cruise for her (think of the points you'll earn!!). Then the following year you can arrange the Mountain West Tour of your dreams. A friend of mine loves to ride and his wife just LIKES to ride. They live in Ottowa and he loves to ride the Rockies, so he'll spend several days riding alone across the Plains and meet her in, say, Denver or Salt Lake or Rapid City or Calgary. She meets up with him, they ride all the fun glorious mountain highways, lodging as described above, then she flys home and he rides four or five more days home. (Crossing the Great Plains is drudgery, sorry but it is, and she doesn't like it so...) They love this arrangement and it works very well for them. Just an idea.

Good luck, thanks again, PM me some day if you want ride ideas, and CONGRATS on 30 years of marriage!

Doug
Old 11-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

.....Just an idea.

Good luck, thanks again, PM me some day if you want ride ideas, and CONGRATS on 30 years of marriage!

Doug

Hey Doug

Love It! This sounds like someone who has done there homework [pun intended] here. In all seriousness this is the kind of wisdom I expected from the adventurers of this site, and I have not been disappointed. This coincides withe what I have been thinking and feeling. My problem, and my weakness is that I am a man of strong passions [native American, and Irish Ancestry] that tend to get me in trouble if I don't control it, and this despite the maturity of my years [58]! I've always maintained that I will never grow old gracefully, and that I am firm believer in "Peter Pan" I won't never grow up! Who or what defines how we are supposed to act a certain age anyway...... ! A discussion best left for campfire somewhere, sometime!

I like your insight. The Fox and I will celebrate 30 on April 11, 2011. Did your parents happen to live on or come from the Appalachia's near Cumberland? We seem to possess a similar tastes and insights when it comes to Beautiful, Smart Women and great Motorcycles! I may have a long lost brother!

May You and Your Girlfriend
[they will always be our Girlfriends]
Know Many Great and Wonderful Rides Together

Gene
Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Yeah, my "homework" consists of multiple brutal lessons in the wisdom of the old saying, "If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!". I'm glad I could share some of my hard-won wisdom! Too many years like that...

I am now married to a complete sweetheart that loves to share time doing what I like to do and therefore I love to share time doing what she loves to do. Thankfully there are large areas of overlap including motorcycling, hiking, kayaking, working on our land, etc. (but she won't let me build a motocross track, dammit).

A couple of centuries ago my family was from Virginia, then moved West to Texas and Colorado and then into Wyoming. I suppose it's possible we're long-lost kin!

Have a great day, Cousin Riff. Say howdy to Uncle Raff for me!

Doug
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

.... A couple of centuries ago my family was from Virginia, then moved West to Texas and Colorado and then into Wyoming. I suppose it's possible we're long-lost kin!

Have a great day, Cousin Riff. Say howdy to Uncle Raff for me!

Doug

Uncle Raff doing good! Since he heeeerd of new kin in the mountains he hasn't stopped celebratn' We gonna haf to purform a jug-ectomy on his shootn hand.

Later Cuuz!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
Theshantha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Wow, nice report. nice pictures too.

Cheers
Theshantha - Sri Lanka
Theshantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theshantha View Post
Wow, nice report. nice pictures too.

Cheers
Theshantha - Sri Lanka
Thanks Theshantha.
I wish I could do this for a living, cause that's when I am.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

"A Tale of Two Churches"! All over the mountains of the east, history is found around every corner. I have traveled two roads countless times in a cage, and passed by these two places more time than I can imagine, and never given them much thought! South bound on 522 just north of Winchester about 1/2 mile north on the 127 turnoff, stands this little church visible from the road on a dirt road. It's sign titles it as "Mount Hebro EUB Church - Welcome". From my research it is the "Evangelical United Brethren" Church organization. Like many structures around these parts it looks weather worn, and possibly older than it may look. Here's a brief tour.

facing the challenges of the day, most non-profits have fallen on challenging times, and well maintained as best as possible.

I know some of the last generation of country churches always have grave yards next to them. Careful investigation can give reference to the age of the church. This one though it may be old the grave markers don't appear to be that old, and out of respect and the size of the fence I choose not to look to closely with out permission.

As I said most of the markers do not appear to be all that old. There may have been some, but I could not see them.

As you can see in this picture the church is on the north bound side of 522 heading towards Berkley Springs.

pretty settings just around the bend.

[ lower right hand corner is not a fresh pile of dirt ..... fertilizer ]

Wish I could have seen this one from the inside.

more later....

Riff screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 09:58 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote