Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 580
F800GS / F650GS Britania Composites Fairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber
Thank you, and +1.
We always have this frustrating period of time between the creation of a new fairing and the first production unit. However, the fairing molds are done and ready to go and we are just waiting for the first samples of the new screens and dashboards. the dashboard was actually harder to design than the fairing, because of it's dual role as both instrument mounting and structural brace for the fairing itself.

The fairing will be called the Mirage 2. We are also working on a new fairing system for the GS 650 single, which will be the Mirage 1 and be ready in November. I think there will be a Mirage 3 for the boxer.

We expect the first production samples of both screens and dashboards within two weeks and they will be tested out on both 650 and 800's. If (and it is always an 'if') everything performs as it should, we can go straight into production then, so they will start to ship at the end of this month.

That is the earliest it could be, but I can't forsee any issues that would delay that by more than two weeks.

As soon as the units are tried out, I will be posting detailed photos and text here on this thread, although it might be a few weeks before it is all photographed professionally and goes up on our website.

Thanks for your interest and patience, I am really excited about this series of fairings, it's a major commitment to the GS's, so it's very important for us to get this right.

Cheers Ian
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious
It took three TT products together before there was an issue. Their wind screen is wider and has two distinct cut-aways to accommodate handguards. When the risers are added however, the guards are no longer align with the cut-aways.

I'll post some pics later -- and forward them to Touratech so they can put a warning on their web-page.
Below is a phone pic of how the TT risers combined with the TT handguards and the TT windscreen create a situation where the guards hit the screen. I talked to TT about this and sure enough: the instructions for the windshield do mention it as a caveat, so no fault on their part. I just purchased each item months apart -- the handguards being the most recent addition -- so I didn't go back and re-read the mounting warnings for the windshield. Note: the OEM BMW guards DO work in this scenario just fine. I won't go back however because I also just purchased a Kaoka thottle lock which is incompatible with the BMW handguards.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,281
that looks dangerous to be honest....it looks like the guards hit way before full lock.....you could run into issues with twisites and tight turns eh?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
that looks dangerous to be honest....it looks like the guards hit way before full lock.....you could run into issues with twisites and tight turns eh?
I wouldn't say it's dangerous at all -- unless you consider slight scrape marks on the handguards dangerous. It's only just the last 1/2" (1/2" measured at bar's end) or less before full lock, and the window and guards are soft enough that they easily flex to allow full lock. The only issue is the handguards might get scrape marks over time.

I only run into it when moving my bike around the garage or parking lot situations with my feet down.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Touratech cockpit cover

Ian - do you see a reason why your fairing would or wouldn't be compatible with the TT cockpit cover?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...GS-F650GS-Twin

Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious
Ian - do you see a reason why your fairing would or wouldn't be compatible with the TT cockpit cover?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...GS-F650GS-Twin

Our fairing will come with a dash as part of the kit, so the TT dash will not be required. One of the things that we have always tried to do with our fairings is to provide a 'one product solves all issues' approach, rather than lots of parts to make a system.

So, we decided that this fairing system should accommodate/solve these issues :

No cockpit glare from the lights
Dash space for GPS and other switchgear
Wind/weather protection for all sized people (as much as is possible)
Space on the back of the dash to mount HID ballasts.
A design that looks like it is OEM

The idea is that the cost of the kits are offset by the fact that owners don't have to buy additional parts to solve the above problems.

There is a slight disadvantage where guys have already got parts (as with the TT dash), but there isn't much we can do about it.

Ian

PS There is very little chance of any handguards hitting the fairing, but I won't know for definate until the production parts are done and we can check it.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Our fairing will come with a dash as part of the kit, so the TT dash will not be required. One of the things that we have always tried to do with our fairings is to provide a 'one product solves all issues' approach, rather than lots of parts to make a system.

So, we decided that this fairing system should accommodate/solve these issues :

No cockpit glare from the lights
Dash space for GPS and other switchgear
Wind/weather protection for all sized people (as much as is possible)
Space on the back of the dash to mount HID ballasts.
A design that looks like it is OEM

The idea is that the cost of the kits are offset by the fact that owners don't have to buy additional parts to solve the above problems.

There is a slight disadvantage where guys have already got parts (as with the TT dash), but there isn't much we can do about it.

Ian

PS There is very little chance of any handguards hitting the fairing, but I won't know for definate until the production parts are done and we can check it.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Eurastus
Hej p dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
Looks like you'll be sending at least two of these to Utah as soon as you get them done.

MSH strikes me as the type that'll jump on this product right away.

My 800GS needs one too.

Just sayin'...
Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,419
Ian, it's time for you to start a thread in Vendors regarding the 800GS fairing and field questions and post pics there.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,764
Make sure you post the link to the vendors thread so we can follow it over.(please)
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
thleon
Theo

Oddometer: 48
Realy nice and interesting fairing, but for us living in Europe the fairing is not so low cost comparing to the Desierto.

I can buy in Greece the Desierto 520 Euros and this fairing will cost not less than 400 euros + taxes.

I was hopping that it would be cheaper in first place
thleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
JavaJude
Adventure Awaits

Oddometer: 8
I got my bike back from Ian at Britannia Composites with the very first fairing for BMW 650/800 GS.

In a word, it is AWESOME!! The fairing makes a huge difference when riding on road and the windscreen slides down beautifully for riding off-road. I was surprised at just how much of a difference this new fairing makes.

Thanks Ian, you did a wonderful job and I'm so happy to have the first one.

Here are a couple of photos:

Here is a photo of the dash. The instrument panel is directly attached to the dash and the space above is perfect for a dash mounted GPS.
JavaJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #13
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Please post what the heights are from top of headlight to top of shield in the lowest and highest positions.

How's the noise and/or buffeting at highway speeds?

Ease of adjustment?
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,419
Pruned and moved from GSpot: PU
Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
JavaJude
Adventure Awaits

Oddometer: 8
650GS New Fairing Report . . . It's Awesome!!

Mirage 2 Fairing from Britannia Composites

I think I must be one of the first ones out there to have one of these ( the benefit of being local to Britannia !), so here's my experience with it over the last couple of weeks.

I have to confess that I didn't actually fit it myself, but it only took my husband about 45mins and it was all pretty straight forward, with no permanent alteration to the bike, so fitment could easily be reversed (not that that is ever going to happen !!). The fairing is finished in satin black which really suits the bike and the inside has a really cool sort of material look, which is the composite bit. The really clever thing is how the dashboard is used to support the whole thing and it really does make the fairing very solid.

The bike looks really stunning with the fairing fitted and you quickly forget how unfinished it used to look. However, the real difference shows up as soon as you get on it. The cockpit looks totally different and the instrument (which is relocated onto the dash) seems to be at a better angle. You can see why they put the GPS platform where it is, because it's really right there, perfectly in your line of vision. Unfortunately, I have a 60csx GPS which won't fit on the platform, but I like the idea so much, I'm now saving my pennies for a Zumo so I can mount it up there (more money !). At least I won't have to fork out for a mount, because it looks like the stock Zumo mount will bolt straight on. It's certainly a sturdy enough platform for mounting.

Out on the road, there is a complete transformation in wind protection. I used to hate the fact that I couldn't ride with my visor cracked open, even at slow speeds. Not so now ! If you want, you can still have the visor cracked open at 120 kms ! The airflow is very smooth by comparison with other big screens I've used, but there is one BIG drawback - SPEED ! This thing takes so much of the buffeting away, that you find yourself riding much faster everywhere ! I played around with the screen height and found that it was best for me set about 2 1/2" down from full up, but I'm not that tall, so I would imagine 6' + guys will certainly have the screen all the way up. The screen uses a couple of thumbtwists and the system works well. It's a simple solution, if not a little 'industrial'.

I don't use this bike offroad much, but I did do a really rough section of gravel the other day to try it out. It's great being able to slide the screen right down when you're stood up and I think you're probably a lot less likely to smash your teeth out if you had an 'incident'. the fairing seems to stay pretty solid and I would imagine is easily strong enough for more adventurous riding than I do on this bike.

All in all, I think this thing is awesome. It's well made, really cleverly designed and just finishes the whole cockpit off the way it should be. I'm not sure how it compares with the TT because there is no way I would ever shell out that much money anyway, but it would need to be very special indeed to out-do this one !

Here is a shameless plug for Britannia Composites . . .please go and check out their website at www.britanniacomposites.com They make similar fairings for other bike models as well.

JavaJude is offline   Reply With Quote