ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
doctor_big OP
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 689
iPhone + Navigon vs a real gps

Hey all

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of using my iPhone and Navigon for motorcycle duty? Will the iPhone's gps work outside of cell reception?

Thanks
Jason
Old 10-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
it works, but whenever I try to use it on my bike the phone overheats after an hour or so (in sunny CA). I opted to just buy a nuvi 500
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
M.Mars
híppos leukós

Oddometer: 202
The problem is that iPhone doesn't have downloadable maps, so that when you find yourself outside of 3G coverage on at&t ( which is fairly often i know) you are out of luck. The maps wont load and you will loose your position. I tried that option before but I think the best option is still to get a dedicated gps. Also there are option with Android phones, since google maps offers voice guidance for free and with Nokia phones they also offer Ovi maps (Navtaq) for free (best cellphone navigation in my opinion) but you will run into problems because all phones have a small gps chip and relay heavily on A-Gps.
my small two cents.
M.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
socalmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Sucks

Just go with a "real GPS" every GPS app I tried locked up the phone after a few minutes, no app has true GPS capabilities such as turn by turn. The only phone that works well is the Droid.
socalmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
I do this with Trekbuddy using offline Google maps on my Sony Ericsson when I want to see how far away from my destination I am.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
doctor_big OP
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmoe
Just go with a "real GPS" every GPS app I tried locked up the phone after a few minutes, no app has true GPS capabilities such as turn by turn. The only phone that works well is the Droid.
Have you tried Navigon? I thought it did true turn by turn. What iPhone do you have?

Jason
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmoe View Post
Yup the droid with a dashboard app is my current GPS of choice. and I always have it with me.
The problem as stated is when you loose cell coverage.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
Yup the droid with a dashboard app is my current GPS of choice. and I always have it with me.
The problem as stated is when you loose cell coverage.
This is not true, there are plenty of GPS apps available that do not need cell coverage for turn by turn directions as long as your phone has a GPS chip. I have been using Navigon and MotionX on iPhones for 3 years and it works as good as my old Garmin 376c even in the middle of no where with absolutely no cell coverage.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Duall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I have NAVIGON on my Iphone 4, I think it's the best navi app out there. I have been using it for a year and it has never let me down.
Rent our Apartment in Budapest @ www.walnut-apartment.com
Duall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I really don't care if anyone thinks iPhones are a piece of crap or not, however my experience has been just the opposite. My wife and I got rid of our Blackberrys the same day almost two years ago. I got an iPhone 4 and she got the latest and greatest Samsung out at the time, I can't remember the exact model name, but it was in the Galaxy S line.

Anyway, I am still using my iPhone and have never had a moments problem with it. I downloaded Motion-X Drive and after adjusting to the different interface I have left my two Garmin units in the glove box. I actually prefer the iPhone with Motion-X and I have been a Garmin fanboy for a long time. The only thing I don't like is my inability to create routes on something like Google maps and load them into the phone like I can with Basecamp on my Garmin.

During the same time I have had my one iPhone, my wife has been through four Samsung Android phones. They keep having glitches that can't be fixed and have to be replaced.

Also, my iPhone integrates with all my other stuff so well. iCloud is pretty cool. Stuff backs up automatically and my music on the iPhone is always up to date with my iTunes. Etc, Etc, blah blah, it just works.

I bought a $50 waterproof mount for my bike and will be testing it out thoroughly next week and I have a nice mount for my car for the iphone. I may have bought my last dedicated GPS ever. We'll see.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Motion X Drive gives me my directions on BT as well through my Scala G4
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Nick 187
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
[QUOTE=M.Mars]The problem is that iPhone doesn't have downloadable maps, so that when you find yourself outside of 3G coverage on at&t ( which is fairly often i know) you are out of luck./QUOTE]

This is not exactly accurate. There are several GPS programs such as Tom Tom and Navigon that have the map tiles loaded onto the iPhone so therefore cell reception is not necessary. I have used my iPhone 4 in the car for hours while playing music or streaming Pandora without any problem. However, they will overhead stuck inside the map pocket of a tankbag on a warm day.

Long story short they do work however are not best suited for moto use (however you can get by.)
Nick 187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Mars
The problem is that iPhone doesn't have downloadable maps, so that when you find yourself outside of 3G coverage on at&t ( which is fairly often i know) you are out of luck. The maps wont load and you will loose your position. I tried that option before but I think the best option is still to get a dedicated gps. Also there are option with Android phones, since google maps offers voice guidance for free and with Nokia phones they also offer Ovi maps (Navtaq) for free (best cellphone navigation in my opinion) but you will run into problems because all phones have a small gps chip and relay heavily on A-Gps.
my small two cents.
This is absolutely wrong. iPhone has apps which use downloadable maps, Navigon is one, Tom Tom another. No 3G coverage needed. How long is this crap going to be repeated. If you don't know , don't make it up. Sorry for rant, but this has been available for a LONG time.

lhendrik screwed with this post 10-17-2010 at 04:46 PM
lhendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,227
I recently used my iPhone as a GPS with Navigon (paid $49.00 for the app with maps of NA) while my Zumo was being refurbished, with a handlebar RAM mount. Works great. With it's ability to find points of interest using Google (when there is 3G or WiFi coverage) its capabilities even exceed those of the Zumo. Even without Google available there is a limited POI database. There is real time traffic data available for an extra charge. I don't have it.

The screen is small, but bright. It is only visible when mounted on handlebars near me, not up front and high where I like my GPS for road visibility.

I have not had any problem with keeping the battery charged using 12V bike power thru a car charger in my tank bag. It only overheated once when I put the phone under my tank bag clear plastic map holder on a very sunny day. Mounted in the RAM mount on handlebars no problem with heat.

By itself it is not waterproof, or very bulletproof, so I wouldn't want to leave it handing out there unprotected for long, as it costs up the wazzoo.

I used it to route and could easily hear route commands with a wired headphone set, and with bluetooth connection. I use the Camos BTS 200 bluetooth headsets, which can connect to my Zumo, my iPhone or both. I also have wired earplug speakers, but I like the Bluetooth better.

As a bonus I had thousands of MP3's for almost unlimited music, and could easily review my emails, texts and voicemails when stopped.

I also have a number of weather apps so I could see live radar maps and avoid storms. Oh, I was also able to get and make phone calls!

I have my Zumo back, and use it as primary GPS, but I will retain the iPhone (iPhone 4) as a backup and for supplemental info.

Opinion: It seems to me that Garmin will have to step up their units capabilities to match what these smartphone units can do if they are to stay competitive, as I wouldn't pay $800 for a Zumo 665 when I can duplicate and exceed with a phone as soon as a good waterproof/bombproof case comes to market.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik
This is absolutely wrong. iPhone has apps which use downloadable maps, Navigon is one, Tom Tom another. No 3G coverage needed. How long is this crap going to be repeated. If you don't know , don't make it up. Sorry for rant, but this has been available for a LONG time.
I don't blame you for the rant, How many times is someone who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about going to pipe in with same ignorant crap about smart phones not having downloadable maps.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote